DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone else have a problem with 5.1k in H264?

ClearPropMedia

Reactions
Hey everyone,

As the title suggests, anyone else have issues with the video file in H264 and 5K resolution? The footage on my SD played back on my 2020 MacBook Pro is extremely laggy anytime I am in 5K and H264 codec. Almost looks like it is skipping multiple frames and jumping. I can smooth it out by converting to Pro Res, but even then it’s not perfect. H265 however is way better straight from the camera.

Wondering if this is an issue with my machine or happening with everyone. 4K H264 works perfect though!

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

As the title suggests, anyone else have issues with the video file in H264 and 5K resolution? The footage on my SD played back on my 2020 MacBook Pro is extremely laggy anytime I am in 5K and H264 codec. Almost looks like it is skipping multiple frames and jumping. I can smooth it out by converting to Pro Res, but even then it’s not perfect. H265 however is way better straight from the camera.

Wondering if this is an issue with my machine or happening with everyone. 4K H264 works perfect though!

Thanks!
That’s a strange problem, truly. Are you sure you had the frame rate set correctly? It sounds like your laptop doesn’t have the power to play the video, but that makes no sense.

Are you able to repeat the problem after double checking camera settings?

That’s a strange problem, truly. Are you sure you had the frame rate set correctly? It sounds like your laptop doesn’t have the power to play the video, but that makes no sense.

Are you able to repeat the problem after double checking camera settings?
Yeah, tested and retested at different FPS and in DLog. H264 in 5K is the issue in both D-Log and Normal mode. It’s weird and not really sure what it is that’s causing it.

h.264 resolutions above 4k are not universally supported in hardware decoding. The >4k to 5.7k rezes in h.264 are kind of spotty.
>5.7k is h.265 territory.
>4k is supported in h.265 and some h.264.

h.264 is an open standard, interpreted and supported differently by different manufacturers.

Reactions: db4476
Hey everyone,

Thanks!
I am dumb about things like this but why not try editing in proxies? E.g.: if you have a less than needed powerful computer. I have a Mac Book Pro and I would never think of using it for video editing due to its capabilities. I edit on theiMAC and that is slow too. Plan to get the new iMAC 27 inch M1 chip when available.

Dale

I am dumb about things like this but why not try editing in proxies? E.g.: if you have a less than needed powerful computer. I have a Mac Book Pro and I would never think of using it for video editing due to its capabilities. I edit on theiMAC and that is slow too. Plan to get the new iMAC 27 inch M1 chip when available.

Dale
I have the 15” MacBook Pro 2018 with Touch Bar and it has no problem editing 4/3rds 4K video in FCPX and I still get HD in the editing window. I wonder why your having trouble?

I have H264 5.1K 50p does not open in Quick Time. With H265 5.1K 50p, everything is fine.

Macbook Air M1

…The footage on my SD played back on my 2020 MacBook Pro is extremely laggy anytime I am in 5K and H264 codec. Almost looks like it is skipping multiple frames and jumping. I can smooth it out by converting to Pro Res, but even then it’s not perfect. H265 however is way better straight from the camera…
The laggy playback indicates that your MBP has 5k/h.264 playing via software decoding - that res/codec isn’t supported by hardware decoding.
h.264 resolutions above 4k are not universally supported in hardware decoding….
h.264 is an open standard, interpreted and supported differently by different manufacturers.
I have H264 5.1K 50p does not open in Quick Time. With H265 5.1K 50p, everything is fine.

Macbook Air M1
I think that’s confirmation. Macbook Air M1 being a most-recent generation, Apple seems to be supporting 5k/h.265 in hardware, and not supporting 5k/h.264.

I’ve had my own headaches in editing 8k video… finally solved by digging in to find out that though my camera supported 8k/h.264 my editing systems did not. A switch to 8k/h.265 cleared up those problems.

If 4K H264 plays fine and 5K H264 doesn't, it's almost certainly your laptop that is the issue.

Editing via proxy might solve some of your issues.

Reactions: ClearPropMedia
Hey everyone,

Thanks!
I'm glad you raised this. I have exactly the same problem. I thought it would be because my PC cannot handle 5K, even though it handles 4k like a dream.
Perhaps I need to try again in H265. Just waiting for the 70mph winds to die down (here in the UK)

Reactions: ClearPropMedia
Thanks everyone! I am glad to know that this isn’t just a me issue. Thanks for your answers and support.

Any thoughts on CBR vs VBR when filming in Normal mode? What is the preference?

Same here, today i went for a fly in 5.1K and when I tried to check the video at home, it plays super laggy. No problem whatsoever with 4K using the same Mac.

Also the playback is laggy with an M1 iPad Pro.

Any suggestions?

Can you transcode h.264 to h.265 via Handbrake or Adobe Media Encoder?

Never tried that but should playback better after changing the codec?

— Edit: Here’s the tutorial: 5 Best Ways to Convert H264 to H265 (HEVC) Without Quality Loss | TalkHelper - There is also Handbrake mentioned. It’s a freeware I often used for video conversions.
Guys...Please tell me that this is not one more reason to not buy the M3! I am happily filming with my M2P using DLog and H.265 without problems. If I were to buy an M3, I probably would continue filming the same way, rather than 5.1 K.
The last thing I need is another glitch in my work flow.

Dale

Guys...Please tell me that this is not one more reason to not buy the M3! I am happily filming with my M2P using DLog and H.265 without problems. If I were to buy an M3, I probably would continue filming the same way, rather than 5.1 K.
The last thing I need is another glitch in my work flow.

Dale
No, like @SethB said before, anything above 4K is just not universally supported in h.264 codec, as far as I understood.

When you shoot 5.1K in h.265, what you already do with your M2P, there should be no problems.

In my post you quoted, I just wanted to give people that already shot in 5.1K / h.264 (and ran into problems) the advice to maybe just transcode instead of reshoot. Maybe transcoding to h.265 fixes the issue.

No, like @SethB said before, anything above 4K is just not universally supported in h.264 codec, as far as I understood.

When you shoot 5.1K in h.265, what you already do with your M2P, there should be no problems.

In my post you quoted, I just wanted to give people that already shot in 5.1K / h.264 (and ran into problems) the advice to maybe just transcode instead of reshoot. Maybe transcoding to h.265 fixes the issue.
Thanks so much for that helpful comment Calmar81.

Reactions: calmar81
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose