DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone else really enjoy night flying?

dannybgoode

Reactions
Disclaimer for any drone police on patrol - night flying is entirely permitted in the UK.

So, anyone else really enjoy? Pick a discrete spot and get her up there - the world looks so different and suddenly city scapes become art and landscapes invisible.

People tend to not see me or the drone so it is a lot more discrete as well.

I’ve set myself a winter project as well. Sheffield where I live still has a good amount of industry (although nothing like the scale of decades gone by) so I’m trying to capture some of the buildings at night. I’ll post some of my first attempts up soon :).

Dusk is my preferred time to fly within the "Golden Hour" . Its just to friggen cold at night here. My fingers are ice cubes in about 5-10 minutes.

Reactions: Cbslagle
Sounds great guys, any vids please?

I have always enjoyed flying at night quite a bit. It's a very different feeling somehow. I'm not very comfortable flying at night in a new place. I like to know in advance where any obstacles/towers/wires, etc, are before flying at night since it's almost impossible to see them on the display in the dark.

Its only legal during twilite hours in the US, With strobes. NOT legal for a 107 without a waiver.
But some like to pick and choose which rules they follow.

Its only legal during twilite hours in the US, With strobes. NOT legal for a 107 without a waiver.
But some like to pick and choose which rules they follow.

You can guide me to where to find :: It's only legal during twilight hours in the US, With strobes

Its in the part 107 rules on the faa dronezone website.

I did a little night flying up in baffalo Michigan earlier this year up by one of the great lakes

I do a lot of twilight flying as that’s the time for the best color. Before I got my 107 I did one night flight with strobes that could be seen for 3 miles. I forgot to turn off the drone’s lights and the footage wasn’t very good. But, it was fun flying at night. It looked great through the monitor. I plan on doing some night flying and will apply for the waivers. I heard it can be done through LAANC. Anyone know more about that?

Yes flying at night is fun. I use 4 CREE lights and I can see the Mavic at much farther distances than in the day time. I got some very good Christmas light video around my area.

I do a lot of twilight flying as that’s the time for the best color. Before I got my 107 I did one night flight with strobes that could be seen for 3 miles. I forgot to turn off the drone’s lights and the footage wasn’t very good. But, it was fun flying at night. It looked great through the monitor. I plan on doing some night flying and will apply for the waivers. I heard it can be done through LAANC. Anyone know more about that?
You can just tap your heels together while repeating "this is a recreational flight" silently to yourself. POOF! No waiver required!
If someone wants to buy a night shot afterwords, well OK, go ahead and sell it. No Harm NO foul. I saw a chart once showing how many waiver requests (of all types) actually get approved. It is NOT very many.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RYNOGOD