DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone flown in FL Keys?

tpop24

Reactions
Going to the keys at the end of the month and was wondering how strict the laws were concerning drones. Anyone fly there?

Going to the keys at the end of the month and was wondering how strict the laws were concerning drones. Anyone fly there?
Yeop, I'm from Miami and visit the keys regularly. One thing to note. There are NFZ's with state parks. Also 3 major airports. Marathon Key, Maticomy Key and Key West. There is a small AF base as well.
Your best bet is to stop off at some of the bridges or marinas to fly from.
I can also recommend Key Largo, Long Key and Pine Key. Don't forget to stop off at the south side of the 7 mile bridge. There are some great views from there. Good luck and have fun. Don't forget to stop off at the Holiday Isl Famous Tiki Bar for some of those awesome Margaritas or Rum Runners.
However, fly first, drink later.:D On the way back, take the Card sound road exit and take a flight at the big bridge. I fish and fly there a lot.:cool:

Thanks for all the info. I can't wait to get down there.

Thanks for all the info. I can't wait to get down there.
Here is a what you will look forward to. My pilot buddy was just down there a while ago with his Inspire.

Awesome video. I'm getting excited. Haven't been to any good spots yet.

According to AirMap.io , everything west of Big Pine Key is off-limits. But farther east these seem to be several areas that are OK.

It is outstanding. As said, look at airmap. Lots of low flying helos so keep an eye out. I did some work while there for Caribbean Soul Charters on Conch Key in Feb. Combo P3P and Mavic.

It is outstanding. As said, look at airmap. Lots of low flying helos so keep an eye out. I did some work while there for Caribbean Soul Charters on Conch Key in Feb. Combo P3P and Mavic.
Great shots! Were you using any filters?

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I will be in the keys in May. We got a hotel in Marathon, Sadly just a few blocks from the Airport, but, my parents are camping in Long Key. Down side is that is a state park, so no taking off or landing, any good places not on State Park grounds to take off and land at?

@tpop24 Once you go out there, come back here and let us know of any good legal spots you find to fly. Between the GoPro, iPhone and Mavic, I plan on making a kick butt vacation video.

We will be also renting a boat and going to some of the lighthouses that are out in the water. If I feel comfortable enough, I will launch off the boat, I can hand launch and hand catch, but, never tried it from a boat, plus the lack of a home point scares me...

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I will be in the keys in May. We got a hotel in Marathon, Sadly just a few blocks from the Airport, but, my parents are camping in Long Key. Down side is that is a state park, so no taking off or landing, any good places not on State Park grounds to take off and land at?

@tpop24 Once you go out there, come back here and let us know of any good legal spots you find to fly. Between the GoPro, iPhone and Mavic, I plan on making a kick butt vacation video.

We will be also renting a boat and going to some of the lighthouses that are out in the water. If I feel comfortable enough, I will launch off the boat, I can hand launch and hand catch, but, never tried it from a boat, plus the lack of a home point scares me...
Will do!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gplunk99