DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone fly near Gettysburg?

finelinefred

Reactions
Just got my Mavic Pro this week and already addicted. I am taking a trip to Gettysburg in December. I'm aware I cannot fly within the national park / battleground areas, but was wondering if anyone can suggest any safe (allowed) areas around Gettysburg that they've flown in before?

I am aware there are airports nearby that I'll have to contact, but first wanted to check and see if anyone has any suggestions on good, safe public places to go in that area. At this point, enjoying the drone so much I want to make sure each time I go on a road trip I get in a little bit of drone fun.

You can fly in national parks if you take off from OUTSIDE the park and land OUTSIDE the park. This way you're not on park property. However, this might not be practical if you must go a greater distance than you are comfortable with.

I understand wanting to get overhead footage of the park. It gives a much better perspective of the battle. However, out of respect to the site and visitors (and as a veteran) I would not suggest flying over any part of the park, even if technically legal. No different from flying over a national cemetery.
However there may be some places outside the park where you could get some good footage without actually flying over the battlefields.
Hopefully somebody else here knows a good spot or two.

Frankly, as a veteran, as someone who has close friends buried in those cemeteries etc, I see NO reason to not get footage of them if you want. I personally see no disrespect in it whatsoever and at the rate people fear history, I’d want to get footage of places like Gettysburg because who knows how long before people find that “offensive” to their tender sensibilities and that monument is gone as well.

Launch and land outside the bounds of the park and you’re legal.

Reactions: Steve1503
Frankly, as a veteran, as someone who has close friends buried in those cemeteries etc, I see NO reason to not get footage of them if you want. I personally see no disrespect in it whatsoever and at the rate people fear history, I’d want to get footage of places like Gettysburg because who knows how long before people find that “offensive” to their tender sensibilities and that monument is gone as well.

Launch and land outside the bounds of the park and you’re legal.
You bring up a good point I had not considered. A different President and Congress and those monuments would have already been defaced, moved and destroyed. As a fellow vet I salute and thank you for your service.
Finelinefred, just try to be as courteous and respectful as possible.
I would love to see your footage if you can find time to post it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AASHIANAPC