DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone Have Both Pro and Zoom?

HogWldFLTR

Reactions
Not quite certain what possessed me. I intended to do a gimble swap on my Pro and next thing I knew I'd found a body to go with the gimble. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have both the Pro and Zoom. I've hardly milked all I can out of the Pro but I guess I'll have the opportunity to get to know both. Anyone else using both drones? If so what for?

-Lee

well, i did same. what did you pay for the body?

i am still not quite sure it was necessary, but, it is fun to have both, mostly, because i just can. :) but, from usability perspective - i can see that in the good light and with correct exposure zoom produces sharper videos, but, everything else is inferior: dynamic range, quality of image in shadows, night shots, colors, etc. it is just an inferior sensor. photos are not even comparable.

but, videos and zooming capabilities are fun. it is a pity pro model got full sensor mode screwed up, but, again, i do not find it as a limitation to take videos in HQ mode. it works just fine. so i will probably mostly use zoom body for experiments.

well, i did same. what did you pay for the body?

i am still not quite sure it was necessary, but, it is fun to have both, mostly, because i just can. :) but, from usability perspective - i can see that in the good light and with correct exposure zoom produces sharper videos, but, everything else is inferior: dynamic range, quality of image in shadows, night shots, colors, etc. it is just an inferior sensor. photos are not even comparable.

but, videos and zooming capabilities are fun. it is a pity pro model got full sensor mode screwed up, but, again, i do not find it as a limitation to take videos in HQ mode. it works just fine. so i will probably mostly use zoom body for experiments.

Too much paid; I got one for $550. I already had the gimble, batteries and controller. All in all it cost about $900 total additional. I certainly didn't save too much on the deal. I hope I don't live to regret it.

Too much paid; I got one for $550. I already had the gimble, batteries and controller. I certainly didn't save too much on the deal. I hope I don't live to regret it.
don`t feel too bad - i paid $650 on ebay for mine, but body was new - so i was able to register and order dji refresh on it. as of regrets - it is too late for it, it is just a generally overpriced product, it is what it is.

so, this is not intended to keep beating the dead horse, but, in the essence - putting video aside - the whole photo dilemma between those 2 systems is to compare how a generic single photo shot from M2P compares to a 'super resolution' pano mode photo from zoom taken at max zoom magnification.
i just did it, as conditions outside were perfect - and here is the result:

obviously, one can see that it has more details on the right side - zoom copy. everything else is better on the left side. does it matter or not - decide for yourself.

also, from same shots:

just to comment the obvious - same iso 100, same height, same conditions, same import from DNG, no modifications, no sharpening, as original as it can be.
what bothers me - even at iso100 zoom has grain and color noise in shadows. it can be filtered off, but, nuisance. in ideal light conditions it is all more or less gears toward zoom side - but, as soon as you deviate from ideal conditions - you will have to deal with smaller sensor image quality issues.
i have to admit - super resolution pano is fast to take and is a pleasure to use. it makes usable 8000x6000 jpg file and it is nice. but, i still like bigger sensor creamy colors, and in the video mode 10bit dlog-m color is a deal breaker, at least to me.

Last edited:
don`t feel too bad - i paid $650 on ebay for mine, but body was new - so i was able to register and order dji refresh on it. as of regrets - it is too late for it, it is just a generally overpriced product, it is what it is.

Mine has a ticking dji refresh on it, fwiw. I do see the differences. I'm not certain how post processing would make a difference. It would likely help both sets of images.

If so what for? I can answer your last question. Once you get the zoom going here's what you will find about the zoom (24-96mm lossless zoom): When you are out flying for fun and exploration you can easily cover double to quadruple the ground with the M2Z vs M2P. Ok....I'll answer your question before you ask...with one of dozens of examples: Your flying your M2P. You see a black dot in a field 1/2 mile away. You fly 3-5% of your battery the 1/2 mile over to see what it is. You find a beautiful l pile of trash. M2Z you just zoom to 96mm...see the pile of trash.... And continue exploring.
Next reason to have both: The M2Z can shoot (video) 1000s of shots the M2P can't touch. I can write a book on these shots but don't have time nor inclination. I'll give you a few simple examples and leave the other 998 to your understanding from these two. Your flying the M2Z and see 5 deer (or any kind of wildlife) cruising across the pasture next to the woods. You tripod in with the M2Z and get the shot from 100-150 ft away at 96mm zoom. The M2P slides in to get the same shot and gets butts running if lucky. Your peeps are picnicking in the woods. The canopy is 75' high. Drone at 100' . You can vid them through a hole in the canopy. M2P = you can see bodies moving around. M2Z you can read what's on their t-shirts . I'll add a third example: Your traveling and want to vid a monument or point of interest that is illegal to fly above or around. You can launch in legal spot away from target. You don't get the shot with the M2P. You will want to pull out your M2Z too get the shot. Hope these examples shed light on why M2Z also. I have many many more examples.

If so what for? I can answer your last question. Once you get the zoom going here's what you will find about the zoom (24-96mm lossless zoom): When you are out flying for fun and exploration you can easily cover double to quadruple the ground with the M2Z vs M2P. Ok....I'll answer your question before you ask...with one of dozens of examples: Your flying your M2P. You see a black dot in a field 1/2 mile away. You fly 3-5% of your battery the 1/2 mile over to see what it is. You find a beautiful l pile of trash. M2Z you just zoom to 96mm...see the pile of trash.... And continue exploring.
Next reason to have both: The M2Z can shoot (video) 1000s of shots the M2P can't touch. I can write a book on these shots but don't have time nor inclination. I'll give you a few simple examples and leave the other 998 to your understanding from these two. Your flying the M2Z and see 5 deer (or any kind of wildlife) cruising across the pasture next to the woods. You tripod in with the M2Z and get the shot from 100-150 ft away at 96mm zoom. The M2P slides in to get the same shot and gets butts running if lucky. Your peeps are picnicking in the woods. The canopy is 75' high. Drone at 100' . You can vid them through a hole in the canopy. M2P = you can see bodies moving around. M2Z you can read what's on their t-shirts . I'll add a third example: Your traveling and want to vid a monument or point of interest that is illegal to fly above or around. You can launch in legal spot away from target. You don't get the shot with the M2P. You will want to pull out your M2Z too get the shot. Hope these examples shed light on why M2Z also. I have many many more examples.

All true. Only thing I'll add is that to get the 96 mm zoom you must be in 1080p instead of 4k. However, if in 4k, you can zoom to 48 mm which is still great!

All true. Only thing I'll add is that to get the 96 mm zoom you must be in 1080p instead of 4k. However, if in 4k, you can zoom to 48 mm which is still great!
so, the last picture i posted above was done specifically to address this 'you cannot see' statement. i did not bother to put there slides from HQ video from M2P against zoomed in M2Z video - as it will show pretty much the same level of an actual detail difference.

also, it is misleading to speak of any '96mm zoom'. it is not there, as it is just a digital magnification. i would agree it is quite ridiculous that DJi did not put that as a function into M2P - maybe they really maxed out the CPU there, but, i doubt that, it is just most likely the usual laziness and retardness of project managers operating with the 'need to meet the deadline' mentality and 'good enough' approach toward it. they could have easily done digital zoom on M2P, but, alas, it is not there. or, most likely, it is actually there, as a feature, but, cannot be invoked from GO4 app.

and, frankly, any digital zoom feature on the bird is not really making much difference, as one can always do it later -

Reactions: Lbesing
so, the last picture i posted above was done specifically to address this 'you cannot see' statement. i did not bother to put there slides from HQ video from M2P against zoomed in M2Z video - as it will show pretty much the same level of an actual detail difference.

also, it is misleading to speak of any '96mm zoom'. it is not there, as it is just a digital magnification. i would agree it is quite ridiculous that DJi did not put that as a function into M2P - maybe they really maxed out the CPU there, but, i doubt that, it is just most likely the usual laziness and retardness of project managers operating with the 'need to meet the deadline' mentality and 'good enough' approach toward it. they could have easily done digital zoom on M2P, but, alas, it is not there. or, most likely, it is actually there, as a feature, but, cannot be invoked from GO4 app.

and, frankly, any digital zoom feature on the bird is not really making much difference, as one can always do it later -

"and, frankly, any digital zoom feature on the bird is not really making much difference, as one can always do it later - " I disagree.

Just for clarification purposes for readers...on the M2Z the 24mm-48mm zoom is optical. From 48mm-96mm is lossless digital. The bird example is correct on post edit M2P zoom. But if you can't get close enough to even get the shot with the M2P the point is?

Just for clarification purposes for readers...on the M2Z the 24mm-48mm zoom is optical. From 48mm-96mm is lossless digital. The bird example is correct on post edit M2P zoom. But if you can't get close enough to even get the shot with the M2P the point is?

True!

so, i am not arguing with your position. just, to re-iterate - here below is the practical FOV comparison between those models.
i also agree i find it handy to be able to go from 24 to 48mm. it is a pity they did not put a zoom lens into the 1" sensor camera build.

but, to say that 'can't get close enough' where you have 48mm vw 40mm difference - it is simply not true. and, amount of additional detail at 48mm compared to 40mm - that was on the photo above - it is not a day and night difference. there is a difference, sure, but it is not that dramatic. that clock on the tower is about a half mile away or so.

so, anyway, i use both models. mostly if not filming - switch to photo mode to see whole landscape, if i need video - i use HQ mode only on the M2P and it works fine, and everything is perfectly visible.

Reactions: ScottM2Zoom1
I tried today to switch zoom into 1080p30 video mode and try this 96mm zoom while flying at 100m altitude - i got to say it is quite awesome. It is sad they did not do it in higher res mode and did not do it on pro. But, for what it is - it is great. And sharp.
I notice that i fly zoom more now than a pro. It is definitely more versatile.

Reactions: ScottM2Zoom1
I’ll be buying a zoom to go with my M2P within the next couple months. Looking forward to the zoom feature for scouting my deer.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inky