DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone in Colorado or Denver Metro area?

we did some flying near Morison Co.
Hello, just got my Mavic too. Accordingly to B4UFly app there are airport like everywhere (Morison has a couple of them) and in order to fly UAS it is required to notify the airport operator and the air traffic control tower. How do you usually notify them?

Thanks in advance,
Maks

Welcome, Mark. Glad you found a area to fly. I fly at Easton Park next to Dakota Ridge HS and at the Chatfield Aerodrome. See Jefco Aeromod'lers website for a live cam of the field and a real time weather page. Great group of folks. I've begun to learn to fixed wing flying. They have trainers to help.

I’m in the Littleton/Centennial area. Hoping to buy a Mavic Pro in the next couple days!! Where is a good place to fly?

Hi, Matt!

There are three authorized places in this part of Jeffco-Dakota Ridge Park ($10 permit required), just east of the high school, a smaller area near the Ball Fields at Wads & Hampden (another $10) and Chatfield RC Aerodrome (free but ask that you be a member of Academy of Model Aeronautics.) The Jefco Aero Mod'lers maintain the Chatfield and are a pretty good bunch of folks with a focus on RC planes. I was flying there and caught the RC plane bug. I'm taking training with a club trainer and am pretty excited, as excited as an old fart can get, to be getting into it.

Other counties may have their RC designated areas and different requirements and restrictions.

Grif

I’m in the Littleton/Centennial area. Hoping to buy a Mavic Pro in the next couple days!! Where is a good place to fly?
Come up the street to Wyoming, you can fly pretty much anywhere.

Hi Mavic Pilots
I’m from Aurora, Colorado. I have a Mavic Pro and I would like to know where can I fly to get some beautiful photos of the mountains with out breaking any laws?

There really is not much is any "drone law" in colorado state law for hobbyists.
Of course there are some state and federal land use regulations for some parks and such if your physically going into government controlled public land than you should know the rules before you enter.
Follow faa guidelines, and use common sense, don't purposely endanger anyone (common sense).
If your not doing stupid stuff no one should bother you.
If anyone does bother you THAT IS NOT LAW ENFORCEMENT I recommend you DO NOT ENGAGE THEM IN ANY WAY, tell them to GO AWAY and if they don't LEAVE YOU ALONE you should call law enforcement.
Photography is not a crime.
Flying a UAV is not a crime.
Stop thinking of yourself as a potential criminal.
Colorado Drone Laws (2017) -

Last edited:
There really is not much is any "drone law" in colorado state law for hobbyists.
Of course there are some state and federal land use regulations for some parks and such if your physically going into government controlled public land than you should know the rules before you enter.
Follow faa guidelines, and use common sense, don't purposely endanger anyone (common sense).
If your not doing stupid stuff no one should bother you.
If anyone does bother you THAT IS NOT LAW ENFORCEMENT I recommend you DO NOT ENGAGE THEM IN ANY WAY, tell them to GO AWAY and if they don't LEAVE YOU ALONE you should call law enforcement.
Photography is not a crime.
Flying a UAV is not a crime.
Stop thinking of yourself as a potential criminal.
Colorado Drone Laws (2017) -

Thanks for that. So, I'm located in Denver near Hampden/25 and considering purchasing a Mavic Pro to take with me on the Camino de Santiago trek across Spain. But I wanted to be able to learn to use it before going, i.e. in Denver. But I am finding more posts all over saying that using the Mavic Pro is almost impossible without too much bureaucracy (FAA paperwork) or violating city ordinance laws. I'm not sure what to believe any more. Is there any definitive documentation that says what is allowed and what isn't? Thanks!

I'm in SE Denver as well, near DU. I am in part 336, but may eventually get certified for part 107. There is also a R/C Model Airfield at Cherry Creek State Park that accepts Quads, and I have contacted the folks at Chatfield's Airpark. I haven't been to either one yet to fly, but I did join AMA. I registered with FAA since they require it again as of 12/12/2017. I just got a Mavic-Air last week and have been studying up on the rules and regs before flying anywhere beside my living room. It's really too bad Denver Parks are off limits since some are wide open and underutilized a large part of the day, except for hot spots like Washington and City Parks. I am outside the FAA 5-mile circle for Arapahoe County Airport, and the closest Heliports are at Porter and Swedish Hospitals. On AirMap.io they have phone numbers for both Hospitals and when I called to see if they had any incoming air traffic, the people that answered both numbers were polite, and said it was OK to fly. I jotted down their names and date/time info. For now all I want to do is get above tree level to get some panoramas of sunrise/sunsets.

Come join us on the Facebook group, south Denver drone club. We meet up every other week and talk drones, fly, hang out, etc.. I’m in lone tree.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeF1
That would mean I'd actually have to create a Facebook profile....appreciate the offer but I'll have to politely decline! ;)

Highlands Ranch, Mavic Air, new to this level of drone (prior experience with Hubsan, Syma = toys)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143