DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lack of details in the RC controller maps

finity

Reactions
I'm not sure what might be going on but hopefully it's something easy I'm missing.

I live in Indiana and when I want to download offline maps I can zoom into the area I want to download and it gives me a good amount of detail with all the streets etc right down to the block.

And then I can select the area I want to download and everything works fine.

I'm going to Colorado this weekend and thought I'd pre-download some maps for the area.

the problem is that when I try to zoom in to the area in the map selection screen there's nothing there except green splotches representing national forests etc. Even Denver won't ever show up on the map even zoomed into the smallest area.

TBH, I'm not even sure if I'm in the area on the map I want to be since I can't even find Denver to get a reference.

Is there some limitation on the RC controller that prevents downloading detailed maps if I'm not close to that location? or (and I would seriously doubt it) are there no detailed maps to download for the Denver/Colorado Springs area?

Which RC are you using, connected phone like with the RC-N1/2, DJI RC, DJI RC2, Smart RC, RC Pro, etc?

With the DJI RC there must be an SD card in the RC (underneath the cover on the edge just below the screen) to save pre-loaded maps. There is basically no internal storage.

As for your detail issues simply zooming in, make sure you actually have a wifi connection, it's easy to think you're connected with the RC and not be, since wifi gets automatically turned off when you fly. What you describe sounds like no network connection.

One more thing you could try as part of troubleshooting is load DJI Fly on your smartphone and see if you get the same results.

Reactions: finity
DJI RC.

the controller isn't connected to the drone (drone is powered down). Or my phone. It's just sitting on my desk connected to wifi.
On the DJI RC, the map resolution isn't as good as the RC-N1 with my tablet. It really sucks for making waypoint missions.

load DJI Fly on your smartphone and see if you get the same results.

After double checking all of the other stuff that was suggested (actually triple checking since I'd already double checked all of that before :) ...) I tried that last suggestion and the app on my phone (that was connected to my home wifi at the time) had all the info as expected.

That got me wondering if the wifi I was originally (work wifi ;)) connecting to might have trouble getting to DJI for some reason.

I originally noticed that there were no maps at all west past Omaha. everything on the map just stopped displaying anything at a north-south line thru the continent.

I turned my phone hotspot on and connected my phone to 5G, Then connected the controller to my hotspot and suddenly I saw that as I started scrolling from the areas that had map data to the west that the map data started filling in and now everything seems to be working.

apparently the RC controller only caches map data from the broader area you are in (eastern US) and only downloads more cache data as you try to view the additional areas.

I'm not sure why my company open wifi blocks data from DJI (if that's whats happening).

thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I had a similar problem that was resolved by switching from router's DNS (domain name server) setting from my ISP's to Google's.
Yeah that could be it.

I've also noticed I'm having trouble reaching my duckdns domain from there too. I have no idea what DNS the company uses.

Yeah that could be it.

I've also noticed I'm having trouble reaching my duckdns domain from there too. I have no idea what DNS the company uses.
Here's a reference on how to check DNS settings.

Reactions: finity
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne