DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone Live on Long Island

Lady Flyer

Reactions
I am going to be on Long Island in the next few weeks and would love to get some footage of Jones Beach area and further out on the Island. I have (as usual) read conflicting rules about where you can and can't fly. Can you fly in state parks .. like Jones Beach State Park ... or Robert Moses State Park?

Also, where would you suggest I go to fly ... I am, at the moment, a recreational flyer but I am studying for the 107 so I I not a total newbie. I just have to make the time to take the test.
I guess what I am actually asking is - Is it worth bringing my drone all the way across the country?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4006448 and BigAl07
I am going to be on Long Island in the next few weeks and would love to get some footage of Jones Beach area and further out on the Island. I have (as usual) read conflicting rules about where you can and can't fly. Can you fly in state parks .. like Jones Beach State Park ... or Robert Moses State Park?

Also, where would you suggest I go to fly ... I am, at the moment, a recreational flyer but I am studying for the 107 so I I not a total newbie. I just have to make the time to take the test.
I guess what I am actually asking is - Is it worth bringing my drone all the way across the country?
If you plan to be a 107 pilot anyway and plan to fly often clearly, do you have the B4UFLY and/or Aloft Air Control Apps? Free both and seriously need to know the air above you before any launch.
Are two of the main resources we use to confirm legal flight areas and get clearance into controlled airspace (Aloft LAANC). Millions of daily users. BOTH FAA linked. Shows you essentially “all“ US controlled and restricted airspace. Tells you the airspace you are under (B C D E G, TFR, FRZ, etc.)

Safe Flying,
KI5RLL

8575EE41-691D-4A04-9E11-89E751E5CF8D.jpeg062624B1-73A7-4DD7-A2C0-75765B9FF5D7.jpeg3D387528-AB89-4BFD-88EC-D2AE7276E04C.jpeg7A0979D6-4D9B-4F99-BB99-F9FC950CFD45.jpeg

Reactions: Lady Flyer

Always bring your camera/drone that’s a no brainer.

People do fly in the jones beach area regularly. It’s off season and pretty quiet there. If you are just looking to take a few shots you should be fine from a quiet spot (this is from my own experience I was there last week).

The same goes for Robert Moses and Captree Island.

I will say flying in all three of these places is pretty common but technically prohibited.

Mainly the park police don’t want you whipping a drone over 100000 people July 4th weekend. I was at Captree Island last winter and had a park police car drive past saw my landing pad and controller and just waved and drove by.

If you happen to see any seals on the beach or in the bays stay away from them there are fines that can be imposed by from town bay constables, Nassau County & Suffolk County Police, as well as the Coast Guard.

As always find a discreet spot to fly from and avoid unwanted attention (this goes for flying anywhere). Keep in mind the winds when flying near the Atlantic Beaches in the winter are a bit heavy and know the limits of your drone.

Again this is my personal experience I’m sure someone will tell you different.

People do fly in the jones beach area regularly. It’s off season and pretty quiet there. If you are just looking to take a few shots you should be fine from a quiet spot (this is from my own experience I was there last week).

I will say flying in all three of these places is pretty common but technically prohibited.

Mainly the park police don’t want you whipping a drone over 100000 people July 4th weekend. I was at Captree Island last winter and had a park police car drive past saw my landing pad and controller and just waved and drove by.

If you happen to see any seals on the beach or in the bays stay away from them there are fines that can be imposed by from town bay constables, Nassau County & Suffolk County Police, as well as the Coast Guard.

As always find a discreet spot to fly from and avoid unwanted attention (this goes for flying anywhere). Keep in mind the winds when flying near the Atlantic Beaches in the winter are a bit heavy and know the limits of your drone.

All very sound advice yes. 👍🏽

If you plan to be a 107 pilot anyway and plan to fly often clearly, do you have the B4UFLY and/or Aloft Air Control Apps? Free both and seriously need to know the air above you before any launch.
Are two of the main resources we use to confirm legal flight areas and get clearance into controlled airspace (Aloft LAANC). Millions of daily users. BOTH FAA linked. Shows you essentially “all“ US controlled and restricted airspace. Tells you the airspace you are under (B C D E G, TFR, FRZ, etc.)

Safe Flying,
KI5RLL

View attachment 157580View attachment 157581View attachment 157582View attachment 157584

I do use B4UFLY and Aloft Air Control. I find that occasionally even though it says it's ok to fly it's not. It's says it's ok over jones Beach but it's a state park and it says it's illegal in State Parks.
Conflicting information .... and I would rather my drone not be confiscated or get a fine for flying where I shouldn't.

Yeah, It really is a no brainer .... bringing them.

Thanks for talking about your experience. That's the sort of information I was looking for. I have no interest in flying near or around people ... I am looking for the landscape and sunrise/sunset photos over the water. As for flying near wildlife - I won't. I am a guest in their home and I have no interest in disturbing them in way. I will also be bringing my regular camera in case I do see some deer or seals - that way I can take photos of them without bothering them.

I will be careful of the winds .... sometimes we have terrible windy conditions here in Albuquerque so I am accustomed to knowing when it's safe and when it's not. I generally won't put it up if the winds are 15 mph or more.

I'd be weary taking off within a state park, but if you fly over a state park and take off somewhere else, that's fine. You can get a permit from the Jones Beach State Park office. It shouldn't be an issue as its off-season and the perfect time to fly. Good luck. ;)

You can try Tobay Beach adjacent to Jones Beach, but you might get flagged from one of the maintenance guys - according to the Town of Oyster Bay though, you should be fine regardless of who tries to haggle you.

Watch out for low-flying airplanes. A LOT of general aviation aircraft fly along those beached, sometimes surprisingly low. There are also several airports in the area and a lot of traffic approaching and departing over the shore (the airspace is complex and highly restricted to the west, with the airspace around JFK dominating the area).

Watch out for low-flying airplanes. A LOT of general aviation aircraft fly along those beached, sometimes surprisingly low. There are also several airports in the area and a lot of traffic approaching and departing over the shore (the airspace is complex and highly restricted to the west, with the airspace around JFK dominating the area).
It’s definitely complex airspace in that area. The general aviation aircraft’s dominate during the summer though. Commercial aircraft depends on weather. A lot of flights arriving to JFK begin their landing sequence along that route. Need to be careful not to venture out too far. The class of airspace is clearly outlined in the B4UFLY app. I would advise flying low regardless.

Last edited:
It’s definitely complex airspace in that area. The general aviation aircraft’s dominate during the summer though. Commercial aircraft depends on weather. A lot of flights arriving to JFK begin their landing sequence along that route. Need to be careful not to venture out too far. The class of airspace is clearly outlined in the B4UFLY app. I would advise flying low regardless.
All good advice .... Been there and back and the weather was garbage almost every day that I was there. I didn't bet to fly once. Hopefully I will be back sometime in the spring and I can try again.

Reactions: projectarjun
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne