DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone mount a Marco Polo ultralight to the Mavic Air?

Reactions
I'm new to the Mavic Air (& drones in general) and almost lost it last night when I lost connection flying under a bridge. I haven't had a chance to check the log, but I think the RTH sent it up into the bridge and I lost all contact. It was almost dusk and in a remote area so I delayed the search until this morning. Luckily I found it where the flight log showed the last contact point but this whole experience has got me searching for tracking solutions and the Marco Polo looks to be the most robust.

Has anyone had any success mounting an ultralight Marco Polo to the Mavic Air?

BTW, next time I decide to fly under anything and there's the slightest chance of a weak signal, I'll change the lost signal settings to hover instead of the default RTH altitude. Just glad that lesson didn't cost me the drone!

I can't comment on the Marco Polo tranceiver, however, I can recommend you to read up on crash & flyaway topics in here. One of the first things you'll learn from those topics is to never fly under a bridge or any other structure. Especially man made.
Pretty much all stone or concrete bridges are full of metal rebar which are a hazard for the drone's compass, not to mention GPS connection. Even ancient bridges could have been reinforced overtime, so do not be fooled by the medieval look of some.

If you really must fly under a bridge for that once in a lifetime shot, I'd advise only doing that if you know all the ins and outs of the quad and have a decent amount of flight experience. Otherwise, I'd not recommend doing it at all.

Also, stay away from broadcast towers or flying really close to (tall) buildings. This will eliminate the biggest risk on losing your drone.

Reactions: zwt100
I have the Marco Polo on my Mavic Pro. I works as advertised. The receiver screen gets you within a few feet of the transmitter. The range is 1-2 miles depending on terrain, obstacles, etc. Combined with the Go4 Find my Drone, a great solution. No cell phone charges and good range was why I bought it.
I posted my mounting method a month or so ago. Recommended.

I'm new to the Mavic Air (& drones in general) and almost lost it last night when I lost connection flying under a bridge. I haven't had a chance to check the log, but I think the RTH sent it up into the bridge and I lost all contact. It was almost dusk and in a remote area so I delayed the search until this morning. Luckily I found it where the flight log showed the last contact point but this whole experience has got me searching for tracking solutions and the Marco Polo looks to be the most robust.

Has anyone had any success mounting an ultralight Marco Polo to the Mavic Air?

BTW, next time I decide to fly under anything and there's the slightest chance of a weak signal, I'll change the lost signal settings to hover instead of the default RTH altitude. Just glad that lesson didn't cost me the drone!
I have the marco polo on my mavic just for added protection and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!! NOT TO BIG and that added piece of mind to me is well worth it.

I can't comment on the Marco Polo tranceiver, however, I can recommend you to read up on crash & flyaway topics in here. One of the first things you'll learn from those topics is to never fly under a bridge or any other structure. Especially man made.
Pretty much all stone or concrete bridges are full of metal rebar which are a hazard for the drone's compass, not to mention GPS connection. Even ancient bridges could have been reinforced overtime, so do not be fooled by the medieval look of some.

If you really must fly under a bridge for that once in a lifetime shot, I'd advise only doing that if you know all the ins and outs of the quad and have a decent amount of flight experience. Otherwise, I'd not recommend doing it at all.

Also, stay away from broadcast towers or flying really close to (tall) buildings. This will eliminate the biggest risk on losing your drone.

Thanks for the great info.

Reactions: MrRobville
I've seen a lot of posts about mounting to the MP, but what I'm looking for is specific experience with the Mavic Air. Has anyone done it yet? There's not much unobstructed surface area to work with on the top, so maybe the best bet is to put velcro on all the batteries and swap it out.

Reactions: MumblesA10
I don't have a Mavic air but have the Mavic Pro i put the tracker on the right rear arm and it works fine. But i don't know if it will work on the Mavic Air

I've seen a lot of posts about mounting to the MP, but what I'm looking for is specific experience with the Mavic Air. Has anyone done it yet? There's not much unobstructed surface area to work with on the top, so maybe the best bet is to put velcro on all the batteries and swap it out.

I don't have the Marco, but before I read your post, that is exactly what I would do. You will always have a battery installed but don't have to always have the Marco installed. Interested to see what others think.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msporting