DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone use a Samsung A10e phone with DJI Go4?

scubaddictions

Reactions
All,

Typically, I fly with a 10" tablet, say 95% of the time. When I go hiking however, I like to trim down the size and weight of the drone kit. The tablet, tablet holder, and sun shade really add up. I've been knocking around the idea of getting a cheap android phone to use as a dedicated hiking display.

My actual cell phone is a Galaxy S8, and it's got a lovely bright screen that I'd love to use but the USB port is very flaky for data transfers. I used to use it a fair bit via WiFi on my Spark, no such luck on the Mavic 2. I'm guessing it's not worth paying a technician to try to fix the USB port, I'd detail cleaned it plenty without success.

I randomly came across a cruddy old Alcatel 5044c Verso android phone recently, it's a junky little entry level android smart phone from Cricket mobile, surprisingly it actually seems to run DJI Go 4 just fine on a couple of test flights. The screen is cracked, scratched, and at full brightness it's fairly difficult to see much when outdoors unless I'm standing in hard shade. Made me think that there should be plenty of other cheap-ish android phones out there that would work as well, preferably better. One I'm considering is the Samsung A10e, I can get a new pre-paid unit in the $80-$100 range. Since I never plan on using it as a phone (only a controller display) I shouldn't need to buy into any plan, contract, or purchase minutes. One downside is I can't find any specs on screen brightness for it, or pretty much any of the other cheap phones like it. Obviously this worries me, if the manufacturers aren't bragging about the brightness it must be pretty bad.

I'm not 100% sold on the idea yet. There's still the option of buying into a refurb or used iPad Mini 3/4, though at the moment I'm not seeing any reasonable deals online, Craigslist/Facebook marketplace. Also thought about buying a refurb Galaxy S8, simply because of the screen brightness and as it's a few generations old I see them occasionally in the $180 range. Of course, I'd rather not spend the money for those used but fancier devices if a new cheap phone will work fine for those rare times I'm packing light.

Has anyone used the Samsung A10e with DJI Go 4? Specs seem more than adequate for the app. Any other contender I should be considering in the same playing field? Moto e6, LG Journey, LG Premier Pro Plus, Samsung A20, etc.

Thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun