DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone use cheap filters?

GatorsUF

Reactions
I know I will get the "You bought a $1500 drone why cheap out on quality filters" crowd and to them I say....because I cannot tell a difference. I can't even tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps unless I'm slowing footage down. I hope to learn these things and one day care about fancy Polar Pro filters, but until then I just want something that will keep the sky from looking blown out when I shoot in the middle of the day.

I have attempted to adjust ISO and Shutter speed with mixed results, but with quick shots these settings are not as adjustable. So for instance I did this "Dolly Zoom" the other day and the sky is way over exposed.

Anywho my question, which of the cheap filters will produce a decent result for me? Thanks!!

To convince the brain that the films/videos you watch look real and that the movement of people/cars/animals or trees you’re flying over and that you’ve captured look and move in a lifelike way, it is generally agreed that you should shoot at 25 frames per second (23 in some countries and 30 in others). However, natural movement is also governed by the angle/speed of the shutter which, as a rule of thumb, should be set to double the frames-per-second you’ve chosen. If you go for 25fps you’ll normally set your shutter to 1/50 (double? See?). The same goes for faster frame rates (slow motion) try to set your shutter to double the fps. OK so what’s all this got to do with ND filters on bright sunny days? Well if you are trying to counter-act too much light by increasing your shutter speed to say 1/100 or 1/400 or more then your movement will not look smooth, and the images will start to look choppy and overly sharp. Your brain will pick up on the this and think it will look odd. Filmmakers purposely increase shutter speeds when they want the viewer to be a little disorientated, it looks hyper-real. Think of those Zombie films where everything seems choppy and sharp and...unnatural looking? So, ND filters reduce the light getting into your sensor on bright sunny days allowing you to continue to shoot at ‘normal’ frame rates with normal shutter speeds. Photographers also use them to reduce light hitting the sensor, so they can extend exposure times to capture images with blurred movement, blurred cars, blurred waterfalls... This any good to you? Yes, get some fancy filters.

I've had very good luck with Skyreat and FStop Labs filters. There are the two sets I use most:

I know PolarPro makes excellent filters, but I also think they're way overpriced.

Once you settle on your filters, you can use the histogram and "zebra stripes" overexposure display to help get it right.

Reactions: Captain Oveur
Captain Oveur, instead of a bunch of run on sentences give GatorsUF some examples like he asked.
GatorsUF, love the user name. Pick a couple of filters in the price range you want to buy and create a post asking for reviews from people that own them.

I know I will get the "You bought a $1500 drone why cheap out on quality filters" crowd and to them I say....because I cannot tell a difference. I can't even tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps unless I'm slowing footage down. I hope to learn these things and one day care about fancy Polar Pro filters, but until then I just want something that will keep the sky from looking blown out when I shoot in the middle of the day.

I have attempted to adjust ISO and Shutter speed with mixed results, but with quick shots these settings are not as adjustable. So for instance I did this "Dolly Zoom" the other day and the sky is way over exposed.

Anywho my question, which of the cheap filters will produce a decent result for me? Thanks!!

Captain Oveur, instead of a bunch of run on sentences give GatorsUF some examples like he asked.
GatorsUF, love the user name. Pick a couple of filters in the price range you want to buy and create a post asking for reviews from people that own them.
Okay Okay. I shouldn’t post with a beer in my hand. You’re right. Although I was advising him that increasing shutter speed to reduce light has its downsides. But yeah my post was long and boring!

Reactions: Clipper707

ND filters will not help with over exposure video unless you are trying to lock your shutter speed at double your frame rate. If you are filming without an ND filter, speeding up your shutter speed will decrease the exposure. This issue you had with the sky being over exposed and the ground being dark, will not be solved with an ND filter. You will have the exact same results with or without the filter in regards to over/under exposure in the same frame. A way to solve this issue is to use the rule of thirds in your shot framing. Instead of have half the frame be sky and half the frame be ground, tilt the gimbal down and get 1/3 sky and 2/3 ground. This will force the camera sensor to expose more for the low-lights, instead of the high-lights. ND filters are not "sunglasses" for your drone. They are only meant to allow a slower shutter speed in regards to the frame rate.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf