DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

AOPA article on new FAA rules

jeplane

Reactions
The new law repealed Section 336 of the 2012 version of the FAA authorization law, closing the so-called “hobbyist loophole” that precluded the FAA from establishing hard limits such as the 400-foot ceiling previously imposed only on certificated remote pilots. For hobbyists and recreational fliers, 400 feet is no longer a suggestion; it is a hard limit.

Several prohibitions in the new federal law target drone operations, subject to penalties: Firing a gun or other dangerous weapon is now against the law, along with any commercial operation that violates a privacy policy, operations in a restricted area, interfering with emergency responders, and interfering with manned aviation including drone flights too close to an active runway.

please continue to follow all current policies and guidance with respect to recreational use of drones.”
The 43 drone-specific sections in the 1,200-page law do not spell out every new rule in detail, but they do set the stage for major changes ahead. In addition to removing previous restrictions on the regulation of recreational drone use (along with traditional model aircraft), the new law directs the FAA and Government Accountability Office to study how the federal government could raise money to pay for drone-related services, including a future unmanned aircraft system traffic management (UTM) program that will be a key to facilitating large-scale use of unmanned aircraft for package delivery and other operations beyond visual line of sight (BVLOS).
Revenue will be required to implement UTM on a large scale, and that is likely to come from fees charged for air traffic services. A study of the how fees might be charged to pay for oversight and air traffic control services for unmanned aircraft is due from the GAO in six months.

The agency was given several deadlines, including a one-year deadline to allow commercial drone deliveries that comply with economic regulations; the FAA is also required to publish within 30 days a representative sample of safety justifications that commercial operators can use to obtain waivers and authorizations under Part 107; and revise that waiver application process within 90 days to provide real-time confirmation of application receipt and status (Section 352).

Section 372 requires the FAA to establish a remote detection and identification program that law enforcement can use to track drones that violate regulations, and submit annual reports to Congress detailing drone transgressions such as flying too close to airports or inside of restricted airspace. The recent Albuquerque Balloon Festival offered a preview of how technology already in use may facilitate such enforcement, and also the scope of transgressions: More than 450 drones were detected in proximity to the popular event, about half of these detected within airspace restricted for the event.

The new law empowers government entities to do something about that, including the authority to bring drones down in a manner that protects the safety of other aircraft, and to punish violators with stiff fines, up to $25,000 in some cases.

Attachments

• Untitled.pdf
    91.7 KB · Views: 6
It’ll be an exciting next few years when it comes to drones in the USA.

I run a drone program for a fire department and am excited about the possibility of legal flights bvlos as this will be a game changer in the industry both for search and rescue as well as real time data gathering for large scale emergencies. The ability to locate and evaluate an incident before emergency responders arrive on scene is a big deal.

The ability to locate and evaluate an incident before emergency responders arrive on scene is a big deal.
Many years ago when I was a Firefighter, at a large structure fire, the Chief asked if I could fly over the scene and provide some reports. I said sure, but by time I drive to the airport, pre-flight, take off, coordinated with Approach control my report would be about the rising steam and the sun rise.

Using a UAS would only take minutes and allow better use of resources. I hope we get to the point the FAA allows without requiring a TFR or a detailed plan of action.

Many years ago when I was a Firefighter, at a large structure fire, the Chief asked if I could fly over the scene and provide some reports. I said sure, but by time I drive to the airport, pre-flight, take off, coordinated with Approach control my report would be about the rising steam and the sun rise.

Using a UAS would only take minutes and allow better use of resources. I hope we get to the point the FAA allows without requiring a TFR or a detailed plan of action.

UAVs are a fantastic addition to the fire service. We currently utilize one on almost every structure fire, and for search and rescue as well as training.

We just got approval for a Matrice 210 and will soon have the capability of delivering personal flotation devices and even a rope to ice rescue victims as well as thermal and zoom capability for other missions.

Reactions: SKentBrown
It’ll be an exciting next few years when it comes to drones in the USA.

I run a drone program for a fire department and am excited about the possibility of legal flights bvlos as this will be a game changer in the industry both for search and rescue as well as real time data gathering for large scale emergencies. The ability to locate and evaluate an incident before emergency responders arrive on scene is a big deal.
I am in NC and during Florence, our Aviation Division was able to secure waivers for BVLOS. There were also a few other Emergency Response groups that were able to do the same. A couple of Rail Roads have been able to do it in the past year and I am willing to bet that it won't be long and you can get one for doing some power line inspections, with a few exceptions.

I was just at a workshop yesterday for Government and Commercial operators and it was really impressive to see how some police departments are using them. They demonstrated a scenario where they used three birds in the same mission. They sent up an Inspire to locate a suspicious package. Once they found it they sent up a Matrice 600 with a Z30 and a XT mounted on it to do a more detailed inspection. When the 600 got into position, the Inspire started an orbit around the outer perimeter to look for suspicious persons or someone who may have strayed into the area. All the while that this was going on they had a Matrice 200 doing overwatch of the entire mission. They also ran a scenario where they were serving a warrant and used the 600 with the Z30 as first in to observe the house from distance before officers arrived and then used the 200 with the XT and Z30 to come in and follow specific officers while the 600 continued overwatch. No more sneaking out the back door and windows while officers are knocking on the front door.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR