DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Apple vs Android

[QUOTE="L.L., post: 307705, member: 33129"That said, there might be some truth to what you're saying but for the purposes of this topic, the experience on iOS seems to be flawless for the most part.[/QUOTE]

Other than the numerous "CPU Overload" threads, the "App crashed and wont respond" threads and various other "the app crashed" threads, especially with the newer releases. Thats not exactly flawless unless you have a very very selective memory.

Reactions: Rnl
I have never understood the hatred of Apple products and users by the Android fanboys.

Well apple provide the same hardware in general as most companies use at a much higher markup. In other words, reduced performance at a price premium using the same hardware as other manufacturers. The macbooks are a prime example of this. They charge over the top fees for pretty much everything, they're a nightmare to develop for especially if you want to customise anything and you're stuck with an OS that wont allow the user to make even simple customisation changes.
That's without their "Imitate, never innovate" method of produce design and release.
....and then you get onto the user base. One thing apple is very good at is marketing. There is no doubt about that, they're excellent. They KNOW the main userbase is clueless and can be spoonfed. They also know that they can say anything at all and it'll be believed. They can release a feature others have had for years, call it new and exciting and just be believed.

Ultimately with apple you don't get what you pay for - you pay over the odds for average performance.

Other than the numerous "CPU Overload" threads, the "App crashed and wont respond" threads and various other "the app crashed" threads, especially with the newer releases. Thats not exactly flawless unless you have a very very selective memory.

Not selective memory. Let's be a little more precise regarding the cause of those issues. The cause of most of those CPU overload or temperature issues is due to running the DJI Go app on outdated hardware (maxing out the CPU/GPU), such as the iPad mini 2, which has been EOL for at least 4 years. Some of those products are also stuck on older versions of iOS due to planned obsolescence and are not compatible with the newer versions of the DJI app. That's like me pointing out the app not running well on my Nexus 5. Of course it's not going to run well due to how old it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: locoman
Well apple provide the same hardware in general as most companies use at a much higher markup. In other words, reduced performance at a price premium using the same hardware as other manufacturers. The macbooks are a prime example of this. They charge over the top fees for pretty much everything, they're a nightmare to develop for especially if you want to customise anything and you're stuck with an OS that wont allow the user to make even simple customisation changes.
That's without their "Imitate, never innovate" method of produce design and release.
....and then you get onto the user base. One thing apple is very good at is marketing. There is no doubt about that, they're excellent. They KNOW the main userbase is clueless and can be spoonfed. They also know that they can say anything at all and it'll be believed. They can release a feature others have had for years, call it new and exciting and just be believed.

Ultimately with apple you don't get what you pay for - you pay over the odds for average performance.

So obnoxious lol. Do you actually believe the c**p that spews out of your mouth? Amusing spin you put on it for sure. Accurate, not so much. Have a great day now....

Last edited:
Im sure the technologically clueless apple sheep will be along shortly to try to brainwash you but.....

A large number of android devices work absolutely perfectly and if you want second hand some good cheap solutions can be found. Ebay for example has Nvidia Shield or Nexus 7 2013 tablets very cheaply and although they're not made any more are excellent with the mavic and very cheap. Perfect for a dedicated unit at $~100 outlay.

If you want newer and more modern, i use a Mediapad M3 from Huawei which works perfectly (the lite and other ones also work well).

There really is no reason to spend a fortune on a pointless apple device, far cheaper new or second hand android devices will work perfectly. Just be a little wary of certain Samsung models due to how badly they alter the core OS. Some work, some aren't so good.

I do know of one person that upgraded from an ipad to an android tablet after seeing how much brighter the screen was in direct sunlight (although if you want totally dedicated and the best screen around then Crystal Sky is the costly but best way to go).

Nvidia shield k1 has worked excellent for me so far!! And I use both IOS and Android!

I'm an Android guy. No Apples allowed in my house. That being said I'm getting ready to purchase the new Mavic. What manufacture tablet is the best for this guy? The tablet I purchase will only be for this drone. Do you think I will be ok with Android still or should I bite the bullet and get an Apple? I'd like to stay with Android but I believe DJI gives priority to Apple products. Thanks a lot guys.

Dan
I'm in the same boat but I'm flying the mavic 28th a LG tablet an LG phone and a mini ipad. Ipad doesn't loose the djigo4 app. My droids do and need reboots at the cost of of prescious battery life. That's my 2cents.

Reactions: drrjv and WestyinWC
I'm in the same boat but I'm flying the mavic 28th a LG tablet an LG phone and a mini ipad. Ipad doesn't loose the djigo4 app. My droids do and need reboots at the cost of of prescious battery life. That's my 2cents.
Another great feature of my LG phone is it substitutes the word with for 28th

Reactions: WestyinWC
I am an Android user BUT I bought an iPad 128GB WiFi only Mini 4 specifically for use with the Mavic, where it performs flawlessly.
I tried using the Mini4 as just an iPad for about a week or so but decided the Apple OS is so awkward and convoluted compared to Android (IMHO) that I deleted EVERYTHING I could so now the only things I have on it now are the GO4 and B4U Fly apps.

I prefer android as well, I use a Samsung T713 tabS2, never had an issue, except for the procedure to fly. not a big deal. on marshmallow, flying with 1.4 still, NO problems. I will not upgrade, because I want to be able to hack the setup, which is my right, by the way. Fly responsibly, have fun, show a little respect to those around you. DONE

I am an Android user BUT I bought an iPad 128GB WiFi only Mini 4 specifically for use with the Mavic, where it performs flawlessly.
I tried using the Mini4 as just an iPad for about a week or so but decided the Apple OS is so awkward and convoluted compared to Android (IMHO) that I deleted EVERYTHING I could so now the only things I have on it now are the GO4 and B4U Fly apps.
Yea That's the way to go. A delegated tablet for those two apps and as much storage as you can get.

Reactions: drrjv
I'm an Android guy. No Apples allowed in my house. That being said I'm getting ready to purchase the new Mavic. What manufacture tablet is the best for this guy? The tablet I purchase will only be for this drone. Do you think I will be ok with Android still or should I bite the bullet and get an Apple? I'd like to stay with Android but I believe DJI gives priority to Apple products. Thanks a lot guys.

Dan

As goes the saying...
An apple per day keeps the doctor away. ;)
Never had a crash on my iPhone. While I had to downgrade my shield tablet to android 6 to get a stable system

Apple Mini 4 here also - same as OP just bought.
The screen is large, bright and fits perfectly in the Mavic Controller and in the front pocket of the Mavic bag.
A flight uses only 4% to 5% battery life of the IPad.

It the IPad doesn't try to charge from the remotes batteries like the Androids I tried do - so remote batteries last much longer..

I just got the regular wifi one and bluetooth it to my phone - rather than have to shell out a monthly charge to keep a sim card alive.

I think one of the major reasons for me to go with Apple is the number of aftermarket apps like GS Pro or Autopilot that require an IOS system to run. Plus as everyone is saying, problems seem to be less frequent with Apple.
By the way, I like your profile pic SafariMan! -CF

Apple seems to be well ahead of Android in CPU performance. That plus the better integration of hardware and software is a big plus for iPhone and iPad.

Recent tests reveal the latest iPhone running circles around Android devices

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS83L1QvNzExNzg1L29yaWdpbmFsL1RHX0dlZWtiZW5jaDRfaVBob25lXzhfUGx1cy5qcGc=

iPhone 8 Is World's Fastest Phone (It's Not Even Close)

:eek::eek:
Im sure the technologically clueless apple sheep will be along shortly to try to brainwash you but.....

A large number of android devices work absolutely perfectly and if you want second hand some good cheap solutions can be found. Ebay for example has Nvidia Shield or Nexus 7 2013 tablets very cheaply and although they're not made any more are excellent with the mavic and very cheap. Perfect for a dedicated unit at $~100 outlay.

If you want newer and more modern, i use a Mediapad M3 from Huawei which works perfectly (the lite and other ones also work well).

There really is no reason to spend a fortune on a pointless apple device, far cheaper new or second hand android devices will work perfectly. Just be a little wary of certain Samsung models due to how badly they alter the core OS. Some work, some aren't so good.

I do know of one person that upgraded from an ipad to an android tablet after seeing how much brighter the screen was in direct sunlight (although if you want totally dedicated and the best screen around then Crystal Sky is the costly but best way to go).
:eek:

I remember the $2K HP Spectre Kaby Lake that I sent back after a week because it extremely buggy. Slowed down/locked up several times. Or the Dell computers that I use for work that get replaced every two years. My 2012 MacBook has NEVER had an issue and the original battery still lasts hours. All marketing.

Dan

Dan
I’m with you.. I’m 100% Android. But brother I have to say this to you. Save your money and get yourself an iPad mini 4 and dedicate it just to the Mavic.
I’ve purchased the nexus 7 2013 model, then then nvidia shield k1 (which is a kick *** tablet). But none of them compare to the reliability of the iPad mini 4 when it comes to flying the Mavic.

Robert

Reactions: drrjv and WestyinWC
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk