DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are drone changing 250gm size factor for registration across the world?

kumar

Reactions

European drone rules for 2021 and beyond. Looks like all Mavic drones will have to follow the same registration rules due to the camera.
Will this change consumers looking for <250gm drones? We are waiting for new FAA rules in the USA and do you expect to see a similar approach here?

European drone rules for 2021 and beyond. Looks like all Mavic drones will have to follow the same registration rules due to the camera.
Will this change consumers looking for <250gm drones? We are waiting for new FAA rules in the USA and do you expect to see a similar approach here?
Why do you think FAA rules will change? It is not an annual event.
As for me..., No changes expected except possibly getting the test for non-107 pilots completed.

Reactions: vindibona1
When the sub 250-gram rule was introduced the FAA clearly indicated that it was going to be a "wait and see" thing. I remember watching a video of the first Spin_Up conference in which an FAA guy talks about it. In a nutshell, he said that if the sub-250-gram class of drones became a problem then they would have no qualms about deleting the exemption.

Reactions: Thomas B

Do you realize having a drone under 250g only saves you a $5 registration fee? Nothing else is different. You only have to register once for all your drones so even if they get rid of the exception it’s like the smallest possible deal.

Do you realize having a drone under 250g only saves you a $5 registration fee? Nothing else is different. You only have to register once for all your drones so even if they get rid of the exception it’s like the smallest possible deal.

Too true but, at the time, there seemed to be a lot of people who believed that sub-250-gram drones were exempt from all regulations. Hopefully, this forum and other sources have helped to put everyone on the same page.

That was my thinking when registration first started. I registered for my X5C Syma though I wasn't obligated to.

Will this change consumers looking for <250gm drones?
Why should it? The required operator ID is not tied to a specific drone and only costs £9 in the UK, anyway. Most people who buy a Mini don’t do so because it previously didn’t need an operator ID, it was more the portability and relative lack of restrictions (which may be even more of a factor with the new regulations).

It might weed out some of the people behaving like idiots with them.

<250g used to be the wild west of no-regulation. Authorities are realising now that cant go on forever.

They've still got a lot of freedom under the unified EASA rules, especially compared to legacy heavier drones if the operator lacks A2CoC.

Too true but, at the time, there seemed to be a lot of people who believed that sub-250-gram drones were exempt from all regulations. Hopefully, this forum and other sources have helped to put everyone on the same page.
For this reason alone, they probably need to eliminate the sub-250-gram exception. People think there are no rules at all below 250 grams, and that's bad for everyone.

No new FAA rules are planned for 44809. It would literally take an act of Congress to change them.

The only thing coming out is the finalization of Recreational Knowledge Test and the CBO safety rules developed with the FAA. Sections (2) & (7) of PL 115-254.

Unless there is an influx of issues with the <250g class, I don't see any changes. The FAA, like all federal agencies, have emergency powers to create rules (like the hobby registration at first). But they got their hands slapped trying that with hobby registration, so I seriously doubt they're try it with the <250g recreational registration exemption.

And your reason for not registering is?

For this reason alone, they probably need to eliminate the sub-250-gram exception. People think there are no rules at all below 250 grams, and that's bad for everyone.
Anyone who’s familiar with the rules knows that there are rules specifically for drones weighing <250g. If they’re not familiar with the rules it won’t make any difference what type of drone they’re flying. Getting rid of the rules for sub-250g drones won’t make any difference for those people who don’t know the rules anyway.

Anyone who’s familiar with the rules knows that there are rules specifically for drones weighing <250g. If they’re not familiar with the rules it won’t make any difference what type of drone they’re flying. Getting rid of the rules for sub-250g drones won’t make any difference for those people who don’t know the rules anyway.
@Kyle76 is from the US. Our airspace rules are the same for all drones, regardless of weight. The only exemption for <250g drones in the U.S. is that they don't need to be registered if you only fly recreationally. All other rules apply.

UK, EU and others have a much more relaxed rule system for the <250g class.

Reactions: Kyle76
@Kyle76 is from the US. Our airspace rules are the same for all drones, regardless of weight.
I assumed, because he mentioned sub-250g rules, that he was talking about countries other than the US (the UK and EU, for example) that have a separate category for those drones.

I assumed, because he mentioned sub-250g rules, that he was talking about countries other than the US (the UK and EU, for example) that have a separate category for those drones.
We’re slowly but surely joining the rest of the world when it comes to the metric system.
Slowly...?

Reactions: Tony McDrone
We need to pull the bandaid off and convert. It will be a challenge for a while but we'll get fluent with it.
The UK has the best mix.
We usually call temperature in Celsius.
We buy fuel in litres but quote a car economy in miles per gallon (imperial not US.).
We drive in miles per hour.
I know my weight in stone and no idea in kg.
We buy pints of beer and a litre of coca cola.

Well the beer I get, particularly in pubs, as that's more of a tradition. The rest though, that's confusing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ad60