DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are motors interchangeable? (Left to right etc)

blakkflame559

Reactions
Ok so bought a used mavic air 2 and the front left motor is tilted to where the blades hit the arm. I have a spare front right leg with motor. Can I take that motor and put it on left front, and just reverse the wires? Or do I need to order the front left motor?

I have read that they are interchangeable with the connection swapping that you suggest.......BUT....I would ask a question. Are you sure that the damage is to the motor and NOT the motor's mounting point on the arm?

Reactions: blakkflame559
Upon close inspection I think tht may be the issue. The lil ring mounting is warped a bit. I may be able to just take it off and bend it back. If not surely that peice I can steal from the other motor right?

Upon close inspection I think tht may be the issue. The lil ring mounting is warped a bit. I may be able to just take it off and bend it back. If not surely that peice I can steal from the other motor right?
Can you post a picture of what you call the "lil ring mounting"?
I was actually referring to the plastic of the arm being distorted or damaged

Looks like it was subjected to substantial damage. Looks like some scraps also on front right motor mount.
I think it requires professional maintenance: this can't be fixed by "bending" plastic parts.

I do not have an Air 2 but I do have a wrecked and dismantled Mavic 2, its motor looks similar to yours.
That section at the bottom of the motor, with the circumferential slits, is a casting? which also serves as the mounting point for the motor. Whilst the metal surrounding the slits can be deformed, as shown in your photo, I doubt that the body of the casting can be deformed by anything other than deliberately applied force with tools etc..
Therefore, given what I see in your photo, I would suspect that either the screws that clamp the motor to the arm have been pulled through the plastic of the arm or the mounting point in the arm has been broken away from the body of the arm.
You would need to remove/detach the 'vertical' landing leg from the body of the arm to be able to see if either of those have occurred. NOTE there is probably a screw underneath the LED cover, if so that needs to be removed to remove the landing leg, I can't remember if the M2 had any other screws attaching the landing leg to the arm.
If the motors' mounting screws have pulled through the arm and or the mounting point in the arm is broken the simplest thing to do would be replace the ARM and the motor.

Last edited:
Hey all. New to the forum but I recently had the pleasure of rebuilding a MA2. That definitely looks like something you should replace. The motor is attached by three screws, it's quite easy to remove. But from my experience it is a pain to route new wires through the arm. That fact, along with the questionable integrity of the mount itself, has me suggest you follow the previous commenters advice. A new arm/motor can be bought for cheap, is easy to install, and won't give you crippling anxiety.

Ended up swapping just the motor. It was hell getting the new wires thru that lil black sleeve but I got it after a bit of coaxing. The screw holes not blown but the screw was no where to be found. Flies perfect now. Gotta replace the gimbal next. Anybody got one they’ll part with?

I have read that they are interchangeable with the connection swapping that you suggest.......BUT....I would ask a question. Are you sure that the damage is to the motor and NOT the motor's mounting point on the arm?
They are my guy! I ended up doing just that taking right front to left front and just wired it according to the lettering on the board boom bang bing and back in the air.

Ended up swapping just the motor. It was hell getting the new wires thru that lil black sleeve but I got it after a bit of coaxing. The screw holes not blown but the screw was no where to be found. Flies perfect now. Gotta replace the gimbal next. Anybody got one they’ll part with?
Looking at your image it seems you already have a gimbal. What exactly is wrong with it? I've seen individual parts on AliExpress if repairing the gimbal is something you'd do. If not there's also shells on sale which you can swap the old camera into.

Looking at your image it seems you already have a gimbal. What exactly is wrong with it? I've seen individual parts on AliExpress if repairing the gimbal is something you'd do. If not there's also shells on sale which you can swap the old camera into.
This one doesn’t work. It’s giving gimbal motor overload message and wnt complete initiation cycle and makes a weird straining noise

It’s acting as if the gimbal cover is holding it I think the there’s some kind of glue in the case from a shoddy repair the previous owner attempted

It’s acting as if the gimbal cover is holding it I think the there’s some kind of glue in the case from a shoddy repair the previous owner attempted
I've found videos of people wiggling their gimbal slowly for a bit just incase there's grit inside of the gimbal. If that doesn't work I would look into those gimbal shell replacements.

I've found videos of people wiggling their gimbal slowly for a bit just incase there's grit inside of the gimbal. If that doesn't work I would look into those gimbal shell replacements.
Yea it’s gummed up with what looks like rubber cement or some kind of adhesive

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    967 KB · Views: 3
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member