DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are the MA2 avoidance sensors able to detect another drone?

Korrd

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
I was exploring the city today, and while examining the resulting footage I noticed something moving awfully fast near me, but at a lower altitude.
As far as I can see, it is a Mavic Mini that follows me around. While it seems to be following me yet keeping it distance, I'm worried about it.
I'm pretty sure about it because of its profile, colour, lack of organic movement characteristic of a bird, and also due to the fact that it cannot follow me further than 1000m or so. It keeps to a particular area, which means that interference won't let it go further away.

Are the MA2 avoidance sensors able to detect and dodge another drone? If not, I'll have to avoid flying that area.

I was exploring the city today, and while examining the resulting footage I noticed something moving awfully fast near me, but at a lower altitude.
As far as I can see, it is a Mavic Mini that follows me around. While it seems to be following me yet keeping it distance, I'm worried about it.
I'm pretty sure about it because of its profile, colour, lack of organic movement characteristic of a bird, and also due to the fact that it cannot follow me further than 1000m or so. It keeps to a particular area, which means that interference won't let it go further away.

Are the MA2 avoidance sensors able to detect and dodge another drone? If not, I'll have to avoid flying that area.

Following you around, sounds creepy.

• Haha
Reactions: MavicMan64 and A.O.
I’m not sure it’ll have reaction speed enough for it to be effective. Yeah it’ll trigger something if it gets close enough, but if you both are moving fast, it’s not going to matter. Plus the mini does not have any sensors, so it’ll just keep going no matter what..

The sensors are effective against static objects as it relates to the MA2’s movement.

Reactions: dawgpilot
I was exploring the city today,....

I believe the answer is “no”.... based on a near head on collision with a friends drone. We were both flying M2Ps at near stationary positions slowly approaching each other head-on... neither of us got a warning... he used an SC and I used a CS.

Reactions: Steel63
Can you post a screenshot or video example or what you are seeing?
If it is a drone, it's only going to be there when its owner is flying there.
It's unlikely to be there all the time.

I can't see why it wouldn't. An object is an object, with the size of the object being the determination if it's detected. Even the sun or reflections can be falsely detected as an object.If it was below you, it wasn't an obstacle.

I can't see why it wouldn't. An object is an object, with the size of the object being the determination if it's detected. Even the sun or reflections can be falsely detected as an object.If it was below you, it wasn't an obstacle.
And tree branches can be missed by sensors.
OP... ask DJI and consider an experiment as I posted above.

Yeah. I mean, if we are both approaching head-on at full speed, the combined speed will be well above the maximum speed the sensors can work at.
But if I'm stationary and it approaches from one of the sensor's field of view, it may detect it and dodge.
I've tested moving towards the drone when it is stationary on dodge mode. It does dodge me, generally by going upwards. But I've never seen a drone dodging another drone.

Yeah. I mean, if we are both approaching head-on at full speed, the combined speed will be well above the maximum speed the sensors can work at.
But if I'm stationary and it approaches from one of the sensor's field of view, it may detect it and dodge.
I've tested moving towards the drone when it is stationary on dodge mode. It does dodge me, generally by going upwards. But I've never seen a drone dodging another drone.
Best of luck... Results may vary.
I just posted what we found out moving slowly. We stopped the test above at about 2’ distance between the two drones.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Yes if you can see it of course it could detect it, but if it is flying towards your drone at speed it won't have time to avoid it and it would have to be from the front or back obviously. I have also been wary of other drones while flying in popular spots here. Just have to be careful really...

Yes if you can see it of course it could detect it, but if it is flying towards your drone at speed it won't have time to avoid it and it would have to be from the front or back obviously. I have also been wary of other drones while flying in popular spots here. Just have to be careful really...
My point is that the drones did NOT detect each other even as close as 2’

Yeah. Given your tests, it is best to just avoid being near another drone and that's it. Still, the problem remains if you don't know the other dude is nearby or not. In fact, I didn't notice her/him until I reviewed the videos I made while in the air. Not easy to see a small, screeching drone running at you at a gazillion kph while it is just a gray flicker on your screen.

The ones I can see, I naturally avoid. The problem are those that I can't.

I'll try to do some tests by having my mini stationary and approaching with my MA2, to see what happens. I only need another mobile device that can run the Fly app.

Reactions: Thomas B
Your neighbor is probably either seeing you, the drone, or hearing the drone and coming out with his Mini to investigate! Haha.

As far as I can see, it is a Mavic Mini that follows me around.

Two can play that game.

Depending on the battery status of your aircraft, follow the mini when it's going home when it's battery get low.

You might find a flying buddy. ?

Your neighbor is probably either seeing you, the drone, or hearing the drone and coming out with his Mini to investigate! Haha.
Hahah yeah, most likely. I may need to fly higher in order to avoid detection though, the issue being that the MA2 is quite easy to see/hear. Doing the same with my mini is out of the question, as it lacks the performance and range needed to do what I do.

It's not the first time I catch that mini around me. I've always known it was there as I can hear its distinctive whine on the distance, but it is the first time I could glimpse it on video.
Still, never seen it nor heard it close to my LZ, although minies are somewhat stealthy and hard to see if far enough, specially during dusk/golden hour.

Yeah. That would actually be quite cool indeed. It may work as long as his landing point is in range of my MA2.
I'm altitude-limited though, as there are several buildings around my LZ that block signal if I fly lower than 100m or so.

Hey you! Yes, YOU! If you are that pilot and are reading this... DM me so we can do some awesome formation videos over BA!
Don't force me having to map the entire neighborhood in order to find you (?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrmund and MA2 317
If you can see it below you...how in the heck could you think it's tracking you? just askin

First off can we see the video?
How do we actually know it was another drone(#Gatwick)? Assuming it was and I think that you're right, I'm sure that you recognized the sound.
Yes, MA2 sensors definitely will detect a Mini flying in front of it. My buddy and I have shot videos and photos of each other while flying in the air. To get close you have to turn off OA otherwise it stops. The other pilot was probably trying to get some shots of another drone in flight.
The odds of you two actually colliding is Very minimal. Even if the other pilot was trying to hit your aircraft you would have to be stationary long enough for him to track you and line up. For me it's taken coordination of both pilots and a bunch of practice to make it work. The DJI drones aren't really maneuverable or quick enough but I could definitely chase you down with my FPV 5".
Like MAS 317 and Pinballwiz86 said, try to meet the person and you'll both be able to get some cool video and a flying buddy. It seems silly to give up a good spot.

Attachments

• DJI_0610.JPG
    DJI_0610.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 19
Hahah yeah, most likely. I may need to fly higher in order to avoid detection though, the issue being that the MA2 is quite easy to see/hear. Doing the same with my mini is out of the question, as it lacks the performance and range needed to do what I do.

It's not the first time I catch that mini around me. I've always known it was there as I can hear its distinctive whine on the distance, but it is the first time I could glimpse it on video.
Still, never seen it nor heard it close to my LZ, although minies are somewhat stealthy and hard to see if far enough, specially during dusk/golden hour.

Yeah. That would actually be quite cool indeed. It may work as long as his landing point is in range of my MA2.
I'm altitude-limited though, as there are several buildings around my LZ that block signal if I fly lower than 100m or so.

Hey you! Yes, YOU! If you are that pilot and are reading this... DM me so we can do some awesome formation videos over BA!
Don't force me having to map the entire neighborhood in order to find you (?
hahaha...
awesome!

Reactions: Tony McDrone
That's creepyo_O

Reactions: MA2 317
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members