DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are the photos in the phone cache the same as on the SD?

jweaver

Reactions
Its well understood that the video in the phone Cache is only 720P.. but what about the photos?

They are 4000x2250 so really high resolution, but are they the same as the ones stored on the SD?

On SD card I have JPGs and DNGs at 4000x3000 (2250? never seen that). Most likely JPGs on the SD card are less compressed, but I didn't checked it.

Its well understood that the video in the phone Cache is only 720P.. but what about the photos?

They are 4000x2250 so really high resolution, but are they the same as the ones stored on the SD?
They are the same size but more compressed = less quality.

Sorry.. should have said, mine is currently set to 16:9.. i ment to change this to 4:3 but forgot.. thats why i am seeing 2250 rather than 3000 vertical resolution.

I never have to worry about it since my cache is turned off.

I never have to worry about it since my cache is turned off.

Genuine question.. Why would someone not use the Cache feature? Is there a downside? I have so much spare space on my phone that I can spare a few gigs for the cache.. And it seems like a good feature in the event of a loss, or just convenienece where you want to take a quick look at a video or photo.

Is there a downside of using it?

Reactions: A.O.
Genuine question.. Why would someone not use the Cache feature? Is there a downside? I have so much spare space on my phone that I can spare a few gigs for the cache.. And it seems like a good feature in the event of a loss, or just convenienece where you want to take a quick look at a video or photo.

It's very easy to share photos via email or text, too, from the cache. You can always clear it out as originals are still on the drone's SD card.

In the past, it used up valuable bandwidth that potentially interfered with the control and range of the drone. That still is a potential issue, which is why most veteran flyers still keep the cache off. Turning cache on certainly doesn't help with the control signal. If you have no such issues, feel free to turn it on.

Reactions: jinks02
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242