DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are there flight restrictions being under 249gr

Jbrownfire

Reactions
I left DJI after 3 drones because trying to fly in So. Cal became impossible due to grounding after 30 seconds. I switched to the Autel Nano that flies anywhere anytime without any restrictions. I do miss the DJI quality so if anyone knows an answer I would appreciate it. Don't want to buy and get frustrated again.
Thanks,

The ONLY thing that being under 249g gives you would be no registration (if flown recreationally) and some possible allowances if trying for OOP type of flights.

In regards to airspace etc the weight doesn't matter.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
The ONLY thing that being under 249g gives you would be no registration (if flown recreationally) and some possible allowances if trying for OOP type of flights.

In regards to airspace etc the weight doesn't matter.
Thanks for the reply. May I be more specific. I am a fire investigator in So. Cal. The DJI restrictions do not allow me to fly in many areas where I need to get video of roofs. Frankly, that's all I do with a drone. I got the Autel nano under 250 gr. unit and am able to fly even in a landing path at a major airport, so no geofencing or flight restriction. So, is this a USA hates DJI thing as they have legislated or any small drone can fly such as the Autel?
Thank you!

Thanks for the reply. May I be more specific. I am a fire investigator in So. Cal. The DJI restrictions do not allow me to fly in many areas where I need to get video of roofs. Frankly, that's all I do with a drone. I got the Autel nano under 250 gr. unit and am able to fly even in a landing path at a major airport, so no geofencing or flight restriction. So, is this a USA hates DJI thing as they have legislated or any small drone can fly such as the Autel?
Thank you!
I think it's more that DJI requires that you follow the law. Do you have your part 107?

I left DJI after 3 drones because trying to fly in So. Cal became impossible due to grounding after 30 seconds. I switched to the Autel Nano that flies anywhere anytime without any restrictions. I do miss the DJI quality so if anyone knows an answer I would appreciate it. Don't want to buy and get frustrated again.
Thanks,
I defected to Autel for the same single reason, the work I do requires close inspection in difficult environments and a significant number have been in areas where there are DJI geofenced areas where cell coverage is nonexistent - this is where one carefully pre-planned job has snowballed into two or more ancillary paid deployments in a reasonably close geographical area outside the original unlocked geozone. I switched back to DJI because the NANO+ drones were both mechanically defective. Yes, DJI drones are top of the heap for quality, reliability and camera tech, but this enforced geozone nonsense is a real pain in the pistachios.
I strongly disagree that it is because "DJI requires you to follow the law". DJI enforces geozones - not because they're moral and law abiding.... they do it because it is the best way to guarantee them obtaining the relevant licenses to sell their drones in the US and GB/Europe. It isn't up to a Chinese manufacturer to enforce US: GB; or EU aviation law.

Back on track: stick with your Autel product. It is perfect for your spontaneous use scenario.

Reactions: Jam0ne
As a fire investigator, and also by the way you write, I’m confident you have the brainpower to get your 107 if you don’t already have it. As a 107 pilot, you can apply for a waiver which in turn allows you to unlock the DJI flight restrictions (in theory). Best wishes for a speedy solution for your dilemma.

Last edited:
Reactions: rjwmorrell
Thanks,
Jbrownfire, I'm assuming you're part 107 as you are doing inspection to furtherance business.
If you haven't been using LAANC, give it a try. It works best in controlled airspace. It will give you instant authorization from FAA and will let the DJI drone fly. You may have an altitude restriction of 100ft in some cases to insure separation of landing aircraft at airport, but should not be issue unless doing skyscrapers. In which case you will have issue with being legal with any drone MFG. I have not had an issue flying less than 1/2 mile from class D, class B airports with Mavic Pro 3 cine. PS, I just reviewed a GEO unlocking video from DJI, which I don't have to perform those steps. I need to go to my account and understand why. I just assumed it was the LAANC approval which DJI processes as Geo fence unlock?

Thank you!

You do realize that the FAA Restrictions don't have a weight min correct? Even flying eye-level in Controlled Airspace is ILLEGAL.

This is DJI making an attempt to force Airspace Compliance in order to help try and protect their brand. I see it as a valiant effort but a FAIL none-the-less. For Restrictions you need to refer to official FAA data and not DJI. Autel is allowing you to fly ILLEGALLY.

As a fire investigator, and also by the way you write, I’m confident you have the brainpower to get your 107 if you don’t already have it. As a 107 pilot, you can apply for a waiver which in turn allows you to unlock the DJI flight restrictions (in theory). Best wishes for a speedy solution for your dilemma.
I'm in Britain, so the 107 doesn't apply. Because of Brexit (massive joke of epic proportions) the EU A2CofC certificate is grudgingly recognised but not respected and the GVC hasn't got the weight behind it that it has on the European mainland. We in the GB are in limbo at present while the CAA works out how to structure and re-introduce an updated version of the old PfCO, which is considerably more of a money spinner and puts far more power back in the hands of what was, before 1972, the Air Ministry (the CAA). The CAA permissions process is a massive pain with an administration process (for drones) that moves only slightly faster than a racing snail. For a red zone permission, you can actually get a faster response and a discretionary decision by dealing direct with the ATC duty officer. Red(RED) zones require the full bag of proofs submitted to the CAA, then you can be twiddling your thumbs for a few weeks before you get a response, let alone a decision. My bag is forensic standard photography of scheduled monuments, grade listed structures, the survey of sites of potential archaeology and ongoing digs.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ldh02111