DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Arizona State Parks: Okay to fly?

floyd

Reactions
My daughter just moved to Arizona and recently invited me to visit. One of the things she wants us to do is hike the Superstition Mountains. The area looks beautiful, so I thought I'd take my Mavic Mini or Pro to get some video of us hiking and the mountains. I know national parks are off-limits, and I've found flying in State Parks depends largely on the State. Some States don't allow flying at all in State Parks. Some do but various permissions are needed. And some say flying in their State Parks is fine so long as you follow standard drone guidelines.

I googled Arizona's drone laws but all I found were the basic FAA guidelines. I couldn't find anything related specifically to flying in Arizona State Parks. I'm hoping an Arizonian can help me out. And, if you've flown in the Superstition Mountains, please provide some scenic places to fly (if it's permitted)

Thanks!

Welcome to Arizona! Truly a beautiful state we have. To answer your question, your best bet is to simply consult Airmap or a similar app to determine airspace restrictions at a given location.

As far as local municipality restrictions, I've never encountered any (but I generally avoid populated areas when flying to minimize conflict).

I'd say as long as the airspace is clear, or you obtain a LAANC clearance, go for it!

Welcome to Arizona! Truly a beautiful state we have. To answer your question, your best bet is to simply consult Airmap or a similar app to determine airspace restrictions at a given location.

As far as local municipality restrictions, I've never encountered any (but I generally avoid populated areas when flying to minimize conflict).

I'd say as long as the airspace is clear, or you obtain a LAANC clearance, go for it!
Thanks, Zeke! I'm excited to see my daughter and your state!

Looks like I won't be flying in the Superstition Mountains:

Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 9.58.44 PM.png

i don’t understand; simply Google Arizona State Parks drone rules and this is the first thing that pops up:

Q: Can I use my drone/plane (Quadcopter/UAV) in a state park?
A: The current rule is all recreational drone use is prohibited in state parks. Commercial use will be evaluated with a Filming Permit for news, publicity, and promotional purposes. Film Permit rules require insurance and a current FAA drone registration permit. The final decision and any fees associated with access is at the discretion of park management. Access to areas beyond park boundaries (National Forest, State Trust Lands, Game & Fish, and other agencies) may require additional permission and/or permits. Please consult with the appropriate agency for details. As local, state and national laws and technology continue to change, ASPT will evaluate updates to current rules.

Thanks, Jwiley! I guess I should have added "state parks" in my search. My bad.

I don't think the apps show state parks as no-fly zones. At least not in Delaware, which doesn't allow flying in state park except in limited areas.

What I’ve experienced is you ought to consult with the state park requirements regarding drone usage in a specific park. Don’t rely on FAA fly or no fly zones. In some cases you may be allowed to fly AFTER you have submitted a request, along with a no refund fee. In my case, it was a $25 fee.

By the map that is a dedicated Wilderness Area. Those are pretty much NO-GO for drones... actually WA are usually no go for anything that has an engine or motors.

Reactions: Gindra
The Superstitions are definitely worth going to even if you can't fly a drone. There is still some great stuff to photo there. I live in GA but checked the Superstitions as soon as I owned a drone. Sadly, I won't be flying there but still hope to get there again soon.

Reactions: floyd
Also be aware there are very few City parks that allow you to fly.... I work for a major city in AZ and I didn't know until I researched.

I have bookmarked this site as it allows searching for rules on a state-by-state basis.

I checked this site for Arizona, and it has some interesting regulations worth checking, including city parks where you can fly. However, I did not see any that specifically said you cannot fly in any Arizona State Park.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer