DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Arnside Tower, Historical Ruin

Paul Iddon

Reactions
Arnside Tower, Historical Ruin

Situated about a mile and a half outside of Arnside, and to the South East of Arnside Knott, Arnside tower is a spectacular and almost unique example of a Cumbrian pele tower.

The oldest building in the parish, the tower was built in the late 14 or early 15th century. These fortified homes were not built as castles or fortified as strongly but were built as towering homes that could help protect the area from Scottish raiders.

Arnside Tower stands astride a natural limestone knoll, with the sea protecting it on one side and marshes on the other. The main entrance was through a pointed arch on the north-east side and this gave access to the central staircase. A smaller entrance was constructed later on the south-east side and there was a second staircase in the south corner.In 1815, Arnside Tower was sold to Daniel Wilson of Dallam Tower and the tower has been owned by the family that reside there ever since.

In 1884, a great storm hit the coast, with devastating effect. The south-west side collapsed along with the central partition wall. The tower has remained in this ruined state to this day.

Music by Enya: The Loxian Gate.

Paul.

Very nice video. Allow me to make a few suggestions. I would have flown directly over the spiral staircase, very, very low so all you saw was staircase, then risen slowly straight up. Next, you could have flown slowly through one of the large openings, window or ground level door(?). I really like your opening shot because the horses give the scene some life and perspective.

Reactions: Paul Iddon
Cheers Dave.

All the video was in one flight, just stopping and starting recordings, and to be honest I didn't know the stairwell was visible until I got there so it didn't occur to be directly over it until it was too late, lol...

I did consider going inside but the structure is unsafe and I was mindful of having to in after the drone should there have been any reason to so I stayed outside. There are warning signs on the tower to say keep out, so I didnt want a reason to go in...

Always appreciate your comments m8.

Paul.

Cheers Dave.

All the video was in one flight, just stopping and starting recordings, and to be honest I didn't know the stairwell was visible until I got there so it didn't occur to be directly over it until it was too late, lol...

I did consider going inside but the structure is unsafe and I was mindful of having to in after the drone should there have been any reason to so I stayed outside. There are warning signs on the tower to say keep out, so I didnt want a reason to go in...

Always appreciate your comments m8.

Paul.
Definitely, safety above all else. Thx, Paul.

Reactions: Paul Iddon
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1