DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Arrested for Landing Drone on World Trade Center Tower 3

People ask for it sometimes I swear ??‍♂️.
On another thread, a member looked it up. There are no flight restrictions around the world trade centers. But where to launch from is the issue. I don't know what the restrictions are regarding that. I'm sure he didn't crash on purpose. I hear he was only 22 years old. Wind around and between sky scrapers is very unpredictable. We will really never know the truth from the news media. They just want it to sound as bad as possible. Ratings is money. The 22 y.o probably doesn't have the same feelings most people that lived through 911 have either. He was only about 3y.o when it happened.

Drones are banned in the 5 boroughs of NYC except in designated areas. Technically, the World Trade Center (WTC) is governed by a joint NY and NJ commission named the World Trade Organization (WTO) which prohibits drone usage at the WTC. As of ther summer of 2020, the last time I was there, there were signs indicating it to be a No Drone Zone.

Drones are banned in the 5 boroughs of NYC except in designated areas. Technically, the World Trade Center (WTC) is governed by a joint NY and NJ commission named the World Trade Organization (WTO) which prohibits drone usage at the WTC. As of ther summer of 2020, the last time I was there, there were signs indicating it to be a No Drone Zone.
As I understand it though. Those signs would or can only be limited to take off and landings. The FAA would have to chime in and to make the airspace above a no fly zone for it to be a true No Drone Zone. As a member indicated, the FAA has not assigned flight restrictions for the World Trade Center area.

When a drone crashes somewhere, the most common charge is Reckless Endangerment.

Reckless Endangerment in the Second Degree
Most often, the charge will be Reckless Endangerment in the Second Degree, Penal Law Section 120.20, which is a class A misdemeanor. The crime is defined simply as engaging in reckless behavior that creates a substantial risk of serious physical injury.

Reckless Endangerment in the First Degree
Reckless Endangerment in the First Degree, Penal Law Section 120.25, is a more serious crime. It is defined as acting with depraved indifference to human life and engaging in conduct that crates a grave risk of death to another.

Of course, this charge presents a higher burden for the prosecution and is out of proportion with most recreational drone use.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots