DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

As a Part 107 pilot, could you still pass the test today without studying ahead of time?

Dangerly

Reactions
As I am studying for the Part 107 test, I am trying to understand how much of the test is based on memorizing things just before you take the test that you would likely forget, versus how much stuff sinks in. Could you pass the test today without studying ahead of time? I would love to know!!!

Could you tell me without looking it up these things that might appear on the test:
  1. The MULTICOM frequency for self-announce?
  2. Could you recite from memory the 5 personality factors the FAA cares about?
  3. The number of days you have to notify the FAA if you move?
  4. The distance you should operate from a tower to avoid hitting guywires?
I'm wondering how much of this stuff sticks with you far after you pass the test. And I'm also wondering about how useful the test is, as far as remembering things after you pass.

Reactions: James in the Desert
1. No one remembers because we never use it. We're not even allowed to use it.
2. I had to look up the 5th one (resignation)
3. I haven't moved in 26 years, so I've forgotten. I guess I'll look it up if I do move.
4. That is totally dependent on the height of the tower.

But 1, 3, and 4 are rarely used. It's unlikely you'll them much either. And you don't really want to be too terribly involved in discussions about #2. Especially if you're the subject of the discussion... :)

Reactions: Dangerly
1. No one remembers because we never use it. We're not even allowed to use it.
2. I had to look up the 5th one (resignation)
3. I haven't moved in 26 years, so I've forgotten. I guess I'll look it up if I do move.
4. That is totally dependent on the height of the tower.

But 1, 3, and 4 are rarely used. It's unlikely you'll them much either. And you don't really want to be too terribly involved in discussions about #2. Especially if you're the subject of the discussion... :)
I believe that is not the correct answer for #4 - the FAA recommendation has a specific distance I am trying to memorize, that is not dependent on the height of the tower. Please help me if I've got it wrong as I want to pass the test!!!

I believe that is not the correct answer for #4 - the FAA recommendation has a specific distance I am trying to memorize, that is not dependent on the height of the tower. Please help me if I've got it wrong as I want to pass the test!!!
If you look through 14 CFR Part 107, there are no specific offsets for guy wires for safety. A 1500M tower is going to have a much wider guy base than one that is only 150M. It would be up to the RPIC to determine a safe distance. Especially those who fly towers. Sometimes they fly very close to the wires, but are (usually) safe. It's about safety mitigation and RPIC experience in those cases.

There are likely FAA recommendations, but no statutes.

Don't stress about knowing every single answer. You only have to get 70% correct to pass the test. And you have two hours. If you are unsure of an answer, bypass it and go to the next one. Go back after you've answered the rest of them. All questions are 3 part multichoice. And many times one of those answers are obviously wrong. So even if you have to guess, you're chances have improved to 50%. Don't stress. You got this!

Reactions: drjmax

2,000 feet, but that is a recommendation for manned aviation. That likely won't be on your test. As for the other questions? If I were to guesstimate and give them a percentage of possibility of being on the initial test . . .

1) - 5%
2) - 90%
3) - 10%
4) - 0%

Reactions: Dangerly
As I am studying for the Part 107 test, I am trying to understand how much of the test is based on memorizing things just before you take the test that you would likely forget, versus how much stuff sinks in. Could you pass the test today without studying ahead of time? I would love to know!!!

Could you tell me without looking it up these things that might appear on the test:
  1. The MULTICOM frequency for self-announce?
  2. Could you recite from memory the 5 personality factors the FAA cares about?
  3. The number of days you have to notify the FAA if you move?
  4. The distance you should operate from a tower to avoid hitting guywires?
I'm wondering how much of this stuff sticks with you far after you pass the test. And I'm also wondering about how useful the test is, as far as remembering things after you pass.
No way I would be able to pass the full test without studying extensively. I know how to read the charts now which is about the only thing I didn’t know going into studying for the test that I still know. I feel that the initial test is just testing your intelligence and ability to learn things and work towards completing a goal. Sorta like undergraduate studies at university.

For the record I got a 100% on my first try on the recurrence test without even going through the refresher course first. Somehow I was able to skip it and go straight to the test but it made me go back and and take the course before it would actually give me the completion certificate though. I feel like the recurrent test is the test to make sure you have the knowledge of the rules that actually matter.

Edit: I forgot you only need a 70% to pass so I’d probably pass. I’m sure part 107 questions and charts make up 70% of the test at least.

Last edited:
2,000 feet, but that is a recommendation for manned aviation. That likely won't be on your test. As for the other questions? If I were to guesstimate and give them a percentage of possibility of being on the initial test . . .

1) - 5%
2) - 90%
3) - 10%
4) - 0%
#2 is 100% on the test otherwise I completely agree.

Truck driver, manned aircraft SEL pilot, drone pilot. I doubt that I could pass a single knowledge test without studying first. On the physical tests though, I pass with no issues.

wont be on the test

I think the recommendation is 2,000'. Its not a law or hard and fast rule ( I don't think)

I just passed after studying for 2 months and I was caught totally of guard with the first 3 questions all being about maps that we're new to me so learn how to read and calculate. I am very happy it is behind me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne