DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Atmospheric UK church at Sunrise

James1984

Reactions
Although I have plenty of landscape photography experience (DSLR) I'm a relatively new pilot, so I'm still very much learning the ropes with regards to getting the best out of my Mini 2 in terms of flight control/camera work, but thoroughly enjoying every second of it. I'm trying to piece together a cinematic look film of various locations around my area so I'm going out at every opportunity to bag more footage/locations. Yesterday morning was particularly good with a very atmospheric low level patchy fog so I headed to a well know local church and capture this. Hope you enjoy :)

Hi James1984. Very nice catch.
Did your drone get wet?
Did you fly manually or use automation?
Thanks again.
Hi Honk, Thankyou, it's well worth the early morning starts to get the conditions!
No the drone didn't seem to get wet/feel damp at all! I took it up to around a 50 metre hover and back down as a quick test to see if it got wet and it didn't so I proceeded with the flight.
All the clips were filmed manually.
Thanks James

Reactions: Honk
Although I have plenty of landscape photography experience (DSLR) I'm a relatively new pilot, so I'm still very much learning the ropes with regards to getting the best out of my Mini 2 in terms of flight control/camera work, but thoroughly enjoying every second of it. I'm trying to piece together a cinematic look film of various locations around my area so I'm going out at every opportunity to bag more footage/locations. Yesterday morning was particularly good with a very atmospheric low level patchy fog so I headed to a well know local church and capture this. Hope you enjoy :)

Nice fog! That said, I think your best footage is in the second half of the video from about 1min 30secs.

I was a bit confused by your “fade out” transitions. For an audience, these almost always mean “the end” of a film or chapter. Hence the saying “fade to black”. So when you “faded out” and the next scene was exactly the same as the last, I was very confused/disorientated (at least the first time it happened).

Also, I’m not sure why you have “comments turned off” on your YouTube video?

Reactions: bk217

Very nice job! Love the fog and the lighting. The music suited the video well. You’re going to want to jump to a Mavic 3 sooner than later!

All I can Say is, well done.

Nice fog! That said, I think your best footage is in the second half of the video from about 1min 30secs.

I was a bit confused by your “fade out” transitions. For an audience, these almost always mean “the end” of a film or chapter. Hence the saying “fade to black”. So when you “faded out” and the next scene was exactly the same as the last, I was very confused/disorientated (at least the first time it happened).

Also, I’m not sure why you have “comments turned off” on your YouTube video?
Hi TerryToast, thank you for your comments. You raise some good points! I'm very new to video editing and really learning what works, what is a good look and not a good look, transitions/colour grades etc, these are all new to me. Now you've pointed out the "fade outs" I totally get it and yes it must be a bit confusing, especially fading out and back in at the same spot. Maybe a transition without the blackout would work better? and make sure the two scenes between the transitions are totally different for a better view experience..?

As for the youtube comments, again thanks for pointing this out, I never realised comments were switched off! I think I've sorted that now....

Thanks Again, this is exactly why I joined the forum. :)

Reactions: TerryToast
Very nice job! Love the fog and the lighting. The music suited the video well. You’re going to want to jump to a Mavic 3 sooner than later!
Thanks Crash Pro, haha yep I already have drone envy, I'll have to save up a bit longer to get a Mavic 3, but for now I'll put the practise in with the mini!

Hi TerryToast, thank you for your comments. You raise some good points! I'm very new to video editing and really learning what works, what is a good look and not a good look, transitions/colour grades etc, these are all new to me. Now you've pointed out the "fade outs" I totally get it and yes it must be a bit confusing, especially fading out and back in at the same spot. Maybe a transition without the blackout would work better? and make sure the two scenes between the transitions are totally different for a better view experience..?

As for the youtube comments, again thanks for pointing this out, I never realised comments were switched off! I think I've sorted that now....

Thanks Again, this is exactly why I joined the forum. :)
In a video such as yours, the only place that I’d use transitions would possibly (but not required - personal preference) is at the very start and very end of the video. For simply changing between clips in the same location, just use a clean cut.

Good to see that you’ve turned YouTube comments on. When people really like your videos, they’ll usually want to comment and subscribe. You certainly don’t want to restrict that! :)

Very old and beautiful church. Did you edit the video to make the fog or was it natural?
Hi, the fog is 100% natural, I'm not clever enough to edit that in lol, I have applied a colour grade to the footage :)

Here is still photo from the flight.
Church final web EDITED.jpg
I took the liberty of doing a bit of an edit on your very nice foggy morning church shot, to show how you can pop the colours a little, yet still maintain the foggy feeling. Hope you don't mind.

Why has this video been removed?
Ah yeah, so I re-edited the video and uploaded a new version but forgot to update the thread. Here is the new version.

View attachment 156288
I took the liberty of doing a bit of an edit on your very nice foggy morning church shot, to show how you can pop the colours a little, yet still maintain the foggy feeling. Hope you don't mind.
Don't mind at all, It looks good!.

Reactions: Cymruflyer

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne