DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Attaching a 1/4" -20 Camera Screw directly to a Mavic Body

restyler

Reactions
After buying quite a few camera attachment brackets for my M2Z, I was still struggling to find a "Faff-Free" downwards facing mount that:-
a - didn't take ages to put together
b - didn't upset the surround sensors
c - didnt upset the balance & c-o-g so much that it made the whole thing shake

I think I might have just solved the problem!
I bought a spare Gimbal mounting cover from Ali-Express
Screen Shot 06-16-21 at 08.45 PM.PNG

I cut down a Go-Pro camera mounting screw & after drilling a 6mm hole in the newly arrived plate, inserted the screw & glued in place with epoxy resin.

mav1623701292845-.jpg

I used a strip of silicon tubing in place of the original squashy foam to press down on the circuit board
mav1623701264905-.jpg
The replacement plate was then reattached with the 2 original allen screws
mav1623701227296-.jpg
I ensured that the top of the camera screw did not interfere with the mavic's camera anti-vibro mounts & that the perspex camera protector still fitted ok
mav1623701177941-.jpg
I could now securely mount my Insta360 camera within a couple of seconds of unfolding the drone
_1197317-1000.JPG
All I needed to do now was to practice my take offs & landings without damaging the camera
:cool:

I like it! :cool:

It looks like the insta360 could give you a lot more freedom for camera angles/perspectives and keeping the target framed well as you fly past something would be a lot easier.

See for your hand catch at 3:37 in the video you linked to... the drone rises up automatically and eludes your grasp at the first attempt. The bottom sensors are detecting your hand and causing the drone to rise up a bit to avoid the presumed "obstacle". Perhaps try holding your hand out flat about 50cm (~1.5ft) directly under the drone and then pull down on your left stick to land. The drone should then gently land on your hand. You'd need to ensure your hand aligns with the flat underside of the drone rather than the insta360. I have a mini1 and hand-catching like this works really well.

Maybe I need an insta350 now too??... and a more powerful drone than the Mini1 to lift it ?

Reactions: restyler
I have had one that mounts on top of the MZ for ages. Works great with 360 cams and GoPros using a tripod mount

I have had one that mounts on top of the MZ for ages. Works great with 360 cams and GoPros using a tripod mount
I'd have thought a 360 cam that points down is going to be far more versatile in its choice of viewpoints than one mounted on top that will have the drone body always getting in shot.
.... unless your a bridge inspector, or just like the look of clouds

I'd have thought a 360 cam that points down is going to be far more versatile in its choice of viewpoints than one mounted on top that will have the drone body always getting in shot.
.... unless your a bridge inspector, or just like the look of clouds
You will get the drone in the video/image regardless if mounted on top or bottom.

After buying quite a few camera attachment brackets for my M2Z, I was still struggling to find a "Faff-Free" downwards facing mount that:-
a - didn't take ages to put together
b - didn't upset the surround sensors
c - didnt upset the balance & c-o-g so much that it made the whole thing shake

I think I might have just solved the problem!
I bought a spare Gimbal mounting cover from Ali-Express
View attachment 130807

I cut down a Go-Pro camera mounting screw & after drilling a 6mm hole in the newly arrived plate, inserted the screw & glued in place with epoxy resin.

View attachment 130809

I used a strip of silicon tubing in place of the original squashy foam to press down on the circuit board
View attachment 130810
The replacement plate was then reattached with the 2 original allen screws
View attachment 130811
I ensured that the top of the camera screw did not interfere with the mavic's camera anti-vibro mounts & that the perspex camera protector still fitted ok
View attachment 130812
I could now securely mount my Insta360 camera within a couple of seconds of unfolding the drone
View attachment 130813
All I needed to do now was to practice my take offs & landings without damaging the camera
:cool:

Nice job, pretty cool video.

360 pic test

Anyone know if its possible to embed a moveable 360 pic without having to click a link to access it?

Reactions: scro
360 pic test

Anyone know if its possible to embed a moveable 360 pic without having to click a link to access it?
Spherical 360° photos require either a 360° viewer app or desktop program, or appropriate HTML code on a website to create the interactive features. You can't just embed the image on a web page without losing the interactivity. However, you can embed a link to an external website that has the necessary coding.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580