DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Attaching a light "looking down" video camera under the Mavic Mini 4 drone

sdcinvan

Reactions
Greetings all,

I am working on a project where I must simultaneously capture video in two directions. Can anyone recommend a decent (and lightweight <100g) true 4k video camera?

Additionally, where is the best place to mount the camera without obstructing its downward vision, significantly impacting balance, or cooling? I am thinking of adding a square of Velcro (indicated with the purple square), but what is the "thing" indicated in the yellow circle? I wanted to avoid digging at the sticker inside the battery compartment to see if wires were leading to it (I was guessing it was a touch switch or indicator lamp). Truly, a newbie question. I just received the drone today! LOL
MavicMini4Pro.jpg
FYI, with my drone being over 249g with the camera, I fully comply with government regulations (i.e. I'm registered and have a basic drone license). :)

Here are some lightweight cameras that I am looking at (yes, intentionally all budget cameras for my POC):
- Sixmou Body Camera with Audio and Video Recording, 6 Hours HD 1296P - It's not 4k, but it is one of the few cameras I can receive quickly.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0CDBWK7P8

I thought I could find more candidates, but the Sixmou camera was all I could find with a decent rating and lightweight.

I would look at some of the more traditional camera mounts atop the drone where you mount a gopro-type camera pointing in almost any direction and use the main camera on the drone to point down.

Reactions: marnat3 and Cafguy
That little sticker is simply the CO label It is required by the EU ( your drone is rated at 0 in the EU). If you live in the US it is nothing. I do not think you will be able to place anything on the bottom of the Drone without it noticing. I have seen go-pros mounted on DJI drones as suggested in post 2, SO I think you should be able to mount one of those ON TOP.

Greetings all,

I am working on a project where I must simultaneously capture video in two directions. Can anyone recommend a decent (and lightweight <100g) true 4k video camera?

Additionally, where is the best place to mount the camera without obstructing its downward vision, significantly impacting balance, or cooling? I am thinking of adding a square of Velcro (indicated with the purple square), but what is the "thing" indicated in the yellow circle? I wanted to avoid digging at the sticker inside the battery compartment to see if wires were leading to it (I was guessing it was a touch switch or indicator lamp). Truly, a newbie question. I just received the drone today! LOL
View attachment 173311
FYI, with my drone being over 249g with the camera, I fully comply with government regulations (i.e. I'm registered and have a basic drone license). :)

Here are some lightweight cameras that I am looking at (yes, intentionally all budget cameras for my POC):
- Sixmou Body Camera with Audio and Video Recording, 6 Hours HD 1296P - It's not 4k, but it is one of the few cameras I can receive quickly.
Amazon.ca

I thought I could find more candidates, but the Sixmou camera was all I could find with a decent rating and lightweight.
Why not go the whole hog and buy an INSTA360? That way you get the whole shebang.... Forward, back, left, right, nadir all in one clip package.

The footage I've seen shot with a 4K 360 slung under a friend's Mavic Pro Platinum is jaw-dropping once it's edited properly. When you think about it: this way you make one flight and end up with exposure matched video, whereas with a GoPro, you'd have to send the drone out 5 times to get the equivalent footage.

Last edited:
, but what is the "thing" indicated in the yellow circle? I wanted to avoid digging at the sticker inside the battery compartment to see if wires were leading to it (I was guessing it was a touch switch or indicator lamp). Truly, a newbie question. I just received the drone today! LOL

Page 14 of the manual.

Mini drones are not made to carry weight, you’ll need a camera measured in grams not ounces. Good luck

If you've got the skillset, there are a plethora of tiny cameras for use with Arduinos and other microcontroller platforms. With a bit of electronic hobby, programming, and 3D printing skills, a very small completely self-contained camera with wifi connectivity could be cobbled together.

I can see the design forming in my head with an Arduino nano. Probably a few dozen hours project.

If you've got the skillset, there are a plethora of tiny cameras for use with Arduinos and other microcontroller platforms. With a bit of electronic hobby, programming, and 3D printing skills, a very small completely self-contained camera with wifi connectivity could be cobbled together.

I can see the design forming in my head with an Arduino nano. Probably a few dozen hours project.
I could see a Digital RunCam Wired to a tiny VTX Maybe slap a Lipo on top Thats only if you Don't have a GO-PRO.

Greetings all,

View attachment 173311

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0CDBWK7P8

here is an interesting little battery powered 4k camera that might work for you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas