DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Australian conditions of entry for Mini2

Australia doesn't seem to have much of weight based limitations or even registration requirement for hobby/recreational flyers..

As for restricted areas etc they have link to this:

Just for clarity are you talking about taking it with you on a trip or holiday?

Welcome to the forum jumbo.

When are you planning your trip ?

CASA here keep pushing off the implementation for recreational drone pilots to become both accredited, and possibly drone registration (at least labelled with pilot accreditation #).
Coronavirus delays mostly, one recent newsletter in Nov 2021 said they were again proposing "changing the date of recreational drone registration and operator accreditation from 1 March 2022 to 1 July 2022.

So if coming I would check if it is now July that is supposed to be coming in, but even then, it's very likely there will be a transition period of perhaps a year, not sure as yet.

Your drone is sub 250g too, so this may not be included in those requirements.

At the moment though, no recreational drone licensing or registration are required here as yet, so just fly to CASA's drone rules, and use OpenSky map or other as per links below, and you are good to go.

Links here for rules and the airspace map apps . . .

Re sub 250gm on the mini 2 and controlled airport 5.5km . . . I'll be straight I don't know how far recreational pilots need to keep away from airports, if it's any distance.
I imagine there is something buried somewhere on the CASA site about this, but may be easier to use the CASA chat window on their website (bottom right of pages, during Aussie business hours), as that is VERY good.

Not sure about micro drones like Mini 2 and whether DJI Fly will allow you to even start the motors near an airport, mine won't (Spark or M1P on Go4) as I've tested this in the past, just to 'know' that particular behaviour.

Enjoy your trip, there are plenty of places to fly here no problems, just follow the rules and use the map apps to check for restrictions.

Reactions: 4006448
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velmapeterson