DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Australian Drone Day Queensland

Hey if anybody could post this in the other forums, it would be truly appreciated.

Crap! Just read this this morning... I'm 15 minutes away from there, and was at home all day yesterday. Talk about poor timing...

Apparently they had a great turn out. Well done for the organisors There's another one next year, and possibly more area's too,

Depends on how you look at it. I was there for about 3 hrs; 11am to 1pm. It was a breezy day, almost 50kph gust. I never been to one before, but it seemed that there weren’t that many people. The FPV racing area is where most of the action is, 4 drones racing every 15 minutes or so. There weren’t many spectators.
Most of the other drones are DJI, hexacopters and larger fixed with aircrafts. For those flying in GPS, unless you have a RePL, you need to test your drone and your proficiency in a 3mx3m netted cage. It was windy, but my mavic held out pretty well. There were a few regular mavic pros, and mine is the only alpine white. No one else have seem an alpine white one before, so mine stands out a bit. You can have up to 4 flyers, in a rather small area to fly. Most of the time there were only 2. You are restricted to 60m height, in an area the size of a footy field. On one corner is the border of a NFZ of a tiny airfield. When there’s more than 1 drone in the air, you need to stay at least 10m vertical distance of the other drones, so announce to the other pilots if you want to change height.
There was 1 DJI rep (which have never seen a white mavic, and has no idea about whether it’s possible to buy white batteries and props. Then there’s Ted’s (DJI authorised reseller), offering 10% discount of all their products. They made a few sales on Mavic Air. They aren’t that cheap I think. A pair of low noise props selling for $29 before discount. But DJI website selling them for $17.
There was a CASA rep. I missed most of his talk,and only heard the last bit. It’s interesting that they have no jurisdiction when it comes to wildlife, ie how close you can get to them. It’s under environmental entity or something. You just have to call up and ask for permission. He said in WA, you could get permission to fly within 5m of a whale.

Reactions: Simmo
I can’t possibly imagine there were 5-600 visitors, unless most came in the 2hrs after I left. Plenty of people signed or expressed interest. The timetable of people who put their names down to fly, you’d think it there’d be a lot of people. It seems to be there were a lot of no shows. It was pretty windy, so maybe a lot of people changed their mind about flying. I had to put my mavic in sports mode just to hover on the spot, or it’ll drift.

Reactions: Simmo
So was it anybody could fly in the cages? Like using someone elses RPA? (Like just have a go???)

The cages is to test you can fly the drone and your drone is in good shape before they let you fly on the field. If you have a pilots license, you can go straight to the field. Everyone else, needs to fly in the cage, and be observed by one of the organisers with a checklist. It was a safety precaution.
It was plastic cage/frame with netting all around, for obvious reasons.
There was a guy from a drone photography company who was letting a kid test out his drone. It was obvious the kid never flew a DJI drone before, so he was showing him how to start the motors, and move around in the cage. Initially, the drone got caught in the net a few times, due to drifting in the wind. So the owner flew it himself if to make sure it can cover in the cage properly, then let the kid try again. After that they went out to the field.
So, yes. If you are willing to let a stranger fly your drone, sure.

Yeah I saw the photos of the cages (2?) I just wondered what the go was.
I 'spose if I was DJI I would have a couple of demo models there and let the public have a go?? Might pick up a sale or 3?

This is an event that is run by the school and local rc club that runs every year. This year they just beefed up the promotion a bit. I have been before, and was pretty confident I knew how the day would go this year. Unfortunately, in SE Queensland, there are a number of clubs and groups that are very much about self promotion without working with others.
I’ll leave it at that :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661