DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Australian Rules and Regulations - CASA

It makes you wonder then how air-shows are ever permitted. I've watch countless videos of planes crash on to the watching public. Just do a Youtube search of "airshow crashes". Airshows have lots of low-flying aircraft. That's why we go to see them.
I think with an Air show, we go to see them, therefore have no doubt given up some right to claims of damage or injury.
However CASA's rulings are to stop/mitigate damage or injury to someone thats just going about their business or own thing and nothing to do with the RPA flight.

I'd like to just put this up somewhere as I'm still seeing far too many Facebook idiots telling others what they can and can't do. One particular Facebook group here is quite toxic.

The rules are here: Flying drones or model aircraft recreationally | Civil Aviation Safety Authority
And I'll paste them below:
• You should only fly in visual line-of-sight, in day visual meteorological conditions (VMC). What does that mean?
• No night flying (generally).
• No flying in or through cloud or fog, and you should.
• Be able to see the aircraft with your own eyes (rather than through first-person-view [FPV, binoculars, telescopes]) at all times, (unless you operate under the procedures of an approved model flying association. Contact the MAAA for more information about flying FPV).
• You must not fly closer than 30 metres to vehicles, boats, buildings or people.
• You must not fly over populous areas such as beaches, heavily populated parks, or sports ovals while they are in use.
• In controlled airspace, which covers most Australian cities, you must not fly higher than 120 metres (400 feet) above the ground.
• You must not fly in a way that creates a hazard to other aircraft, so you should keep at least 5.5 km away from airfields, aerodromes and helicopter landing sites.
- Operations within the 3nm (5.5km) radius of an aerodrome or helicopter landing site are possible and lawful providing you comply with the Standard Operating Conditions listed above and ensure that you do not operate:

• on the approach and departure path, or
• within the movement area, or
• create a hazard to aircraft that may be using those areas.

*Please note that flying within 5.5km of a helipad or aerodrome is perfectly legal (with restrictions) and ignorance and spouting off if you see someone doing something that you have been told on Facebook is wrong will get you punched in the face.

------------------------------------------------------- UPDATE -------------------------------------------------------
I would've thought commercial pilots would know this but as requested here are the rules for flying Sub 2kg drones COMMERCIALLY in Australia with an ARN. (The rules are different again with an ReOC)

*Please note that commercial drone operations in Australia are much more restrictive than recreational operations.

Available here but copy/pasted as well...
  • You must only fly during the day and keep your RPA within visual line-of sight (VLOS) - close enough to see, maintain orientation and achieve accurate flight and tracking
  • You must not fly your RPA higher than 120 metres (400ft) AGL
  • You must only fly your RPA during the daytime only (not after sunset).
  • You must keep your RPA at least 30 metres away from other people i.e. any person who is not charged with duties essential to the safe operation of a remotely piloted aircraft.
  • You must keep your RPA away from prohibited/restricted areas.
  • You must not fly your RPA over any area where, in the event of a loss of control or failure, you create an unreasonable hazard to the safety of people and property on the ground (populous area).
  • You must keep your RPA at least 5.5km away from controlled aerodromes - one with an operating control tower.
  • You must not fly your RPA over or near an area affecting public safety or where emergency operations are underway
  • You can only fly one RPA at a time
Operations within the 3nm radius of an uncontrolled aerodrome or helicopter landing site are possible and lawful providing you do not operate on:
  • the approach and departure path or
  • within the movement area or
  • create a hazard to aircraft that may be using those areas.

---------------------------------------------------- UPDATE 17/10/17----------------------------------------------------
As of 18/10/17 CASA will enforce new rules for recreational flying.
Excluded and Commercial flights not affected.
101-3 Advisory Circular which governs recreational flights has not yet been updated.
Change log follows:
• Flights above 400 feet in Class G airspace no longer permitted.
• Flights within 5.5km of Controlled Aerodrome no longer permitted unless micro class (sub 100g) RPA.
• 30 metre operational radius updated/clarified to be measured from ground point directly below the RPA. ie. laterally measured.
Thanx Bro

Yeah they are very good, if they remember to turn their auto-responder off!!!

Man gets fined $900 for breaking 120m AGL rule: NSW Police Force

I wonder where in Katoomba he was flying, if it was near the airfield or not.
That link says flying over Echo Point at 3 PM on an afternoon so the place would have been full of people taking pictures of the Three Sisters from the Lookout.

In OpenSky, all of Katoomba is an orange zone, with caution about not flying if there are manned aircraft in the area.

But if you go south of the Lookout, over the valley, you get an additional warning about National Park. NSW Parks require explicit permission to fly.

Not to mention the area is often full of people during the day.

You'd be able to get some iconic photos and videos though, not only the landscape but the Scenic Skyway cable cars crossing periodically over the valley.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada