DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Auto tracking mode where drone stays still from a height\location point but is still able to swivel to keep subject in view

miker33

Reactions
Hi,

Apologies if this is a bit of a Noob question but about to do to a small car sprint track session and was going to get some footage of myself on the track, this obviously makes controlling the gimball\drone rotation very challenging whilst driving. Is there an auto track option where the drone will stay at a set height\position but be allowed to rotate around to keep a subject in the view since the camera gimball wouldn't be able to rotate enough to track? The plan was to set the drone up at a fixed height in the centre of the small circuit (similar in size to a large go-kart track) and allow it to track my laps (it's only a sprint so 1-2 laps taking about 1-2 minutes), it's a single car at a time start setup so I could fly manually until ready to go and start the tracking off etc before getting the green light.

I suppose it would work at the side of the circuit as the gimball would provide enough movement alone but the centre would make for a better result if possible.

It's also a private test\fun event for only 10 cars so not worried about permissions side as would be the case at an official racing event where the drone would likely not be allowed or at least need to be quite far away.

Kind Regards,
Mike

have you tried to go up over the track and find a height and position that gets the whole track in view, i doubt if the tracking mode would be able to keep up with you

That was going to be one of the options, the drone will easily get the whole track into view before reaching 120m up but wanted to be a bit closer if possible. It's not a particularly fast track in the bends and the straight is very short so again not very high speeds (the current fun car isn't particularly fast either and will be a while until I get the proper one rebuilt for competition).

you could try auto follow but drive slowly so the drone can stay locked on to you then speed it up in post production just a thought

Spotlight mode with the drone positioned in the middle of the oval?

Spotlight mode with the drone positioned in the middle of the oval?

This will work great as long as the car doesn't get too far from the drone.

The OP wants Autotrack flight mode, set to "Profile" option. It works well on me when I'm walking, doubt it could keep up with a car but who knows. Note that if another car interferes in the frame, the drone might jump over to that guy.

Spotlight mode should work for a compact AutoX course. I assume you're not talking about driving at Barber as she is a big fast track even in a slow Miata.

.... I see you are in Birmingham UK not Birmingham US. Well I guess you definitely are not talking about Barber Motorsports in Birmingham Alabama then.
Thanks to the interwebs I'd say you are at Birmingham Wheels's oval or kart track. If so they look the right size to just go high enough to frame the track and use spot light.

Perhaps litchi might have something better that can stay fixed postilion and swivel to keep you in frame...

This will work great as long as the car doesn't get too far from the drone.

The OP wants Autotrack flight mode, set to "Profile" option. It works well on me when I'm walking, doubt it could keep up with a car but who knows. Note that if another car interferes in the frame, the drone might jump over to that guy.

I don't know why I typed what I did above. Clearly "profile mode" is wrong, spotlight was right all along.

I would try active track- spotlight mode. Does exactly what you describe from my test and knowledge. As long as the drone can see you well and the track is rather small as mentioned.

Reactions: spicciani2
Capture.JPG

The track is Curborough, to get the whole track in the frame from above may be a bit too far away, it's possible it may work in spotlight hovering above the trees near the centreline for the gimball to get everything in at a reasonable distance.

Is the tracking speed which is listed in the specs more related to how fast the drone can travel to keep up rather than the speed at which the subject is actually going (ie the gimbal can track significantly faster so long as the subject remains within the limits of the camera movement)?

Thanks,
Mike

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000