DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Autoflight Logic Autopilot application quirks...

hwkacy

Reactions
Sorry for the long message, but I have both observations that may be helpful to others, and questions, answers of which may be helpful to me (and others)!

I am a long-time Litchi user -- until I cracked the screen on my Android phone. This app was used mainly for Waypoint missions.

I decided to take advantage of the Best Buy special on an iPad Mini 4, so now I've got one foot back in the Apple world. The advantage of this is I could try Autoflight Logic's Autopilot application, as some of it's capabilities would be beneficial in my professional video production jobs.

I've been doing extensive testing and am finding out things good and bad. After several "normal" waypoint tests, I watched the video on "Settings" and made some adjustments. Then things turned strange...

Suddenly my 20mph waypoints became 5mph waypoints. After some head-scratching, I determined it to be the "Distance Tolerance" setting. I had changed it from 3m/10ft to 1m/3ft thinking it would increase the precision of positioning (which I was seeing was a little sloppy).

This setting wasn't even covered in the Flight School video. The description on the website was a little cryptic: "The maximum difference in distance that Autopilot will allow when considering if the aircraft is at a certain location."

In any case setting it back to 3m/10ft got the speed back. However, it also brought back the imprecision when it comes to positioning. Some of the routes I need to fly require at least a little precision. I'm finding if I kick off a flight, it will position itself at the first waypoint and fly the mission. Turning right around and flying the same mission again, the waypoint(s) can move as much as 12 feet or more, which could be dangerous in some of my missions!

I had assumed that the "Distance Tolerance" was what was governing the precision of waypoints, but setting it to anything less than 10ft limts your maximum speed to around 8mph!

I am also finding strange anomalies such as when using a focus strategy of "Direction" and setting a waypoint action of "Hover" for 5 seconds at the first waypoint, rather than pointing in the direction it's going to be going and sitting tight for the 5 seconds, it randomly pirhouettes slowly for the countdown time, then races off on it's path, swinging around to the proper direction at the same time -- not very cinematic.

Just wanted to point out that Distance Tolerance thing in case anyone else was tearing out handfuls of hair like I was, and to see if anyone had any thoughts on the other issues I'm finding with Autopilot. I was very excited to finally be able to use this application as I understood it to be the way to go for professionals, but unless I can find out why these gross shortcomings are happening, I may have to go back to Litchi -- hopefully it will work on the iPad at least as well as it did on Android...?

Here are the specs for my devices. (I stopped updating my firmware when all the "controversy" started, so hopefully that's not a factor):

Mavic 01.03.0600
Remote 01.03.0600
Autopilot 4.1.152
DJI Go 4.1.3 (in case that has any effect)

Thanks for any input and pointers you can provide!

WK

Guess I must be the only one having these problems. Hope it's not something I'm doing wrong! :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123