DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Automatic shutter speed in promode

Bsnyder

Reactions
Wandering if I am doing something wrong , I am flying a Air 2s. Most of the time I use the pro mode for video and pictures. Several times while in pro mode I have changed the shutter speed from Manuel to Auto, and the video is always totally overexposed, and I have to go back to Manuel shutter to set for correct exposure. In some situations I think this could be helpful when flying in changing light conditions. Hopefully someone can tell me what I might be doing wrong.
Thanks

I have a similar situation. Here in Arizona I generally have plenty of sunlight. Scenes from about 100’ up having been shot in Auto at 4K 30fps look great with a 16 ND filter. After watching several YouTube vids on advantages to using Pro I changed my settings to: 100 ISO, shutter to 1/60, 5700K on white balance, same 16 ND filter. Results? Overexposed. To correct this with Pro settings how high could I go with shutter speed? Or am I better off putting on a 32 ND and seeing how that changes things? Also what is a good WB temperature for bright sunlight? Thanks all and really enjoying this drone! Tom

I have a similar situation. Here in Arizona I generally have plenty of sunlight. Scenes from about 100’ up having been shot in Auto at 4K 30fps look great with a 16 ND filter.

After watching several YouTube vids on advantages to using Pro I changed my settings to: 100 ISO, shutter to 1/60, 5700K on white balance, same 16 ND filter. Results? Overexposed.
If you don't understand the basics of photographic exposure, you are, you won't get any advantage from setting exposure manually.
As you've found out, you can easily get worse results than shooting in auto.
Or am I better off putting on a 32 ND and seeing how that changes things?
It would reduce the light getting through to the sensor by one stop.
How much were your previous results overexposed?
Also what is a good WB temperature for bright sunlight?
White balance isn't affected by exposure.
Bright sunlight white balance varies between 5000-6500K.

If you don't understand the basics of photographic exposure, you are, you won't get any advantage from setting exposure manually.
As you've found out, you can easily get worse results than shooting in auto.

It would reduce the light getting through to the sensor by one stop.
How much were your previous results overexposed?

White balance isn't affected by exposure.
Bright sunlight white balance varies between 5000-6500K.
I have quite a bit of photographic experience and how it effects exposure but much less of video experience. That said I believe 100 is the lowest ISO the 2S can deliver? Thanks for your input 👍

I have quite a bit of photographic experience and how it effects exposure but much less of video experience. That said I believe 100 is the lowest ISO the 2S can deliver? Thanks for your input 👍

Video is the same as stills insofar as shutter, ISO and EV are concerned.

If you're going to go full manual, then you need to adjust shutter/ISO/EV until you see the image properly exposed. Better to let either shutter speed or ISO float on Auto, and fix the other. Which one depends on your needs. for video, a good rule of thumb is to set your shutter to double the framerate (30fps, 1/60 shutter), let ISO adjust itself in Auto, manually adjust EV to tune exposure to your liking.

In twilight, fix ISO at 100, leave shutter Auto. Again adjust EV to taste.

If you like, go full manual, leave EV at 0, follow the concepts above to fix shutter or ISO, then manually adjust the other until you like the result.

Reactions: tls3601
Pretty sure the lowest ISO available is 100, correct? I used 1/60 as was shooting at 30 fps, I realize I can go much higher on the shutter and a 32 ND filter as well but I was surprised at overexposed using a 100 ISO. As lower ISO’s are much less sensitive to light and I had plenty of that Arizona Sun available I chose it to also limit noise. Will go higher on shutter next outing. Bummer the Air 2S has no adjustable aperture.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet