DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Autopilot for DJI Drones

efowler

Reactions
I want to purchase autopilot for DJI drones and when I read some of the reviews - they said don't by it, it crashed my drone.'Do you think think this is a coding problem in the software or not getting the flight properly set up with the software?? just looking for a little reassurance on this one. Having been a helicopter pilot in the army - I really like the idea of setting up missions for the drone to fly.

I am flying with Autopilot with all kinds of DJI aircraft.
No matter of that's being a Mavic, an Inspire 1, Inspire 2 or Matrice 200.
It's not an 'click and fly' app. Once you have understood how Autopilot works, it's a good tool to setup and run missions and so forth.

So, go for it :)

I am flying with Autopilot with all kinds of DJI aircraft.
No matter of that's being a Mavic, an Inspire 1, Inspire 2 or Matrice 200.
It's not an 'click and fly' app. Once you have understood how Autopilot works, it's a good tool to setup and run missions and so forth.

So, go for it :)
Thanks - I appreciate the feedback.

Reactions: Keule
One thing i forgot to mention:
If you are planning to use Autopilot, use a powerful iPad.
I suggest an IPad mini 4 w. cellular or better any iPad pro (with cellular).

Why? It's because Autopilot uses it's own flight controller (running on the iPad CPU)
If that's CPU not powerful enough, depending on the complexity of the missions and other factors, Autopilot might stop working (app crashes).

I hope this helps in your decision making.

Reactions: efowler

Why? It's because Autopilot uses it's own flight controller (running on the iPad CPU)
If that's CPU not powerful enough, depending on the complexity of the missions and other factors, Autopilot might stop working (app crashes).

For sure - better processor = better experience! Thanks again for your reply. :)

Ok so I get the Powerful processor reasoning. What advantage does a cellular give me if I have it update over wifi at my home??

Ok so I get the Powerful processor reasoning. What advantage does a cellular give me if I have it update over wifi at my home??

If you don't need your position (of the device) and constant live views of maps, then none. I use Autopilot with an iPad Pro (WiFi only) without a problem.

If you're new to this sort of stuff, you might want to check out Litchi. Litchi is far more user friendly and can do a lot of the same functions as Autopilot. Autopilot is a bit more refined but has a much steeper learning curve. Litchi operates more like the DJI GO app. Also, for me personally, Litchi's Mission Hub, allowing you to pre-plan mission flights on your computer, is invaluable and worth the price of the app alone. Or heck, buy both (like I did) and work with whichever app's functions suit your purpose for that particular flight.

Reactions: Gobolts
lisadoc is not wrong.
each app has its strength, I have heard exactly what was said before, litchi is easier to learn and does have the ability to plan out your route at home I think even on your pc. something I wish autopilot allowed, however...
Autopilot I have heard (being fair as I not got both) is the more "cinematic shooting" app of the two.
The learning curve is there but the tutorials help and I have found I understand more and more each time.
So the question is what is your objective, do you want to just fly around or are you focused on capturing shots?

here is a example from self training with autopilot, I set my drone to fly at 10mph along the water with the focus point being the bridge.

If you don't need your position (of the device) and constant live views of maps, then none. I use Autopilot with an iPad Pro (WiFi only) without a problem.

If you're new to this sort of stuff, you might want to check out Litchi. Litchi is far more user friendly and can do a lot of the same functions as Autopilot. Autopilot is a bit more refined but has a much steeper learning curve. Litchi operates more like the DJI GO app. Also, for me personally, Litchi's Mission Hub, allowing you to pre-plan mission flights on your computer, is invaluable and worth the price of the app alone. Or heck, buy both (like I did) and work with whichever app's functions suit your purpose for that particular flight.
Thanks lisadoc - i appreciate the feed back.
When you pre plan your flights I take it you can send the drone on a mission that goes out of range of your controller but as long as your flight does not exceed your battery life - good to go?? Also can I assume you can leave your failsafe of letting the drone decide when to abort the mission and head back due to battery life - true? in case the actual flight conditions are different that expected.

lisadoc is not wrong.
each app has its strength, I have heard exactly what was said before, litchi is easier to learn and does have the ability to plan out your route at home I think even on your pc. something I wish autopilot allowed, however...
Autopilot I have heard (being fair as I not got both) is the more "cinematic shooting" app of the two.
The learning curve is there but the tutorials help and I have found I understand more and more each time.
So the question is what is your objective, do you want to just fly around or are you focused on capturing shots?

here is a example from self training with autopilot, I set my drone to fly at 10mph along the water with the focus point being the bridge.
Thanks princeofthehouse - nice video! And I appreciate all the good feedback and opinins.

Thanks - i am going to get an iPad 4. If I get one with wifi I could still use the hot spot on my phone to get the live updates don't you think??

...I really like the idea of setting up missions for the drone to fly.
Litchi has a great Waypoint feature that allows you to pre-plan missions and then fly automatically (I cannot compare it to Autopilot because I have never used it). You can set up multiple waypoints at varying altitudes with multiple "points of interest" to lock in on. I have been using it to build a time-lapse video of a house under construction and I am pleased with the ease of use and reliability/repeatability.

Be aware, whatever program you use to run a waypoint mission will crash your drone if you do not set it up properly. If the MP is pointed at a point of interest while flying a different direction, it will be more than happy to fly into whatever is in its path. It is great to be able to set up a mission in the comfort of your home but you better make sure you did not miss a power line or tower or tree or hill (you get the point) before you fly it. Perhaps that is why the Go 4 app will only allow you to set waypoints as you fly them.

Reactions: 56_kruiser
Litchi has a great Waypoint feature that allows you to pre-plan missions and then fly automatically (I cannot compare it to Autopilot because I have never used it). You can set up multiple waypoints at varying altitudes with multiple "points of interest" to lock in on. I have been using it to build a time-lapse video of a house under construction and I am pleased with the ease of use and reliability/repeatability.

Be aware, whatever program you use to run a waypoint mission will crash your drone if you do not set it up properly. If the MP is pointed at a point of interest while flying a different direction, it will be more than happy to fly into whatever is in its path. It is great to be able to set up a mission in the comfort of your home but you better make sure you did not miss a power line or tower or tree or hill (you get the point) before you fly it. Perhaps that is why the Go 4 app will only allow you to set waypoints as you fly them.
Thanks Mossiback - for the comment and the warning!

Reactions: CG514
lisadoc is not wrong.

Silly question but once you have the flight plan is it being loaded into memory on the Mavic (or P4P) and flying autonomously or the iPad etc is controlling everything by sending control inputs through the controller?

... is controlling everything by sending control inputs through the controller?
Yes, that's one of the advantages of Autopilot running with their own flight controller (IPad).

-- snip --
While most other apps use the DJI Flight Controller included in the SDK, Autopilot is designed around a Custom Flight Controller that was purpose-built with smooth and safe autonomous flight control as its primary function. By using a Custom Flight Controller, Autopilot is able to offer unique functionality, especially in Waypoint Mode.
-- snip --

You'll find more infos here: Flight School - Hangar

Reactions: Skrems
I'm not sure if you're still debating whether to get the iPad 4 with or without cellular connectivity - but be aware that at least the iPad mini 4 does NOT have a GPS in the wifi-only version. Some of Autopilot's cooler features depend on your phone/tablet having GPS capabilities, I'd recommend getting a tablet that has one.

I learned this the expensive way :(

Reactions: genesimmons
lisadoc is not wrong.

Very nice, where is this ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52