DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Avoidance Bypass?

mahjohn

Reactions
I'm having some trouble understanding the settings needed to enable obstacle avoidance where the drone will bypass an object vs. come to a complete stop and sit there. In the advanced settings it is set to "Stop" when obstacle is detected, however, if I turn on "Bypass" and fly around, I can no longer move the drone Left or Right the right stick, but can Yaw Left or Right with the left stick. So what am I doing wrong, what are the settings that will allow me to have obstacle avoidance, and still fly around normally.

Check your setting of safety flight mode. With that on, you can’t fly left right as it’s not covered by sensors.
ahh...so I can have avoidance set to actively avoid obstacles, but the flight safety is saying "if you want to fly left or right, you need to manually override and that's on you, I'm like a horse with blinkers on and can't see left or right"

That’s my understanding of the setting. Haven’t enabled it yet, though. Just your description of the drone’s behavior reminded me of it in the patch notes.

Obstacle avoidance is only capable of detecting front/back issues (assuming you have MA2), so the flight safety thing prevents you from operating in a way that would not be covered by obstacle avoidance.

I’d recommend not relying on avoidance anyway - it’s not 100% reliable. Don’t fly too close to obstacles, and try to follow the VLOS guideline, and you’ll be able to notice any issues yourself.

Reactions: mahjohn
That’s my understanding of the setting. Haven’t enabled it yet, though. Just your description of the drone’s behavior reminded me of it in the patch notes.

Obstacle avoidance is only capable of detecting front/back issues (assuming you have MA2), so the flight safety thing prevents you from operating in a way that would not be covered by obstacle avoidance.

I’d recommend not relying on avoidance anyway - it’s not 100% reliable. Don’t fly too close to obstacles, and try to follow the VLOS guideline, and you’ll be able to notice any issues yourself.
yep'...sorry MA2. I'm usually well away from obstacles, but was testing flying down the path following behind my son and getting frustrated, then wasting too much time tapping through to find options, while my actor decided he'd had enough and was off to play Fortnite :-(

This new MA2 functionality is covered in this clip ... perhaps easier to grasp.

Reactions: mahjohn
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique