DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Backpack for Air Travel

CadrePilot

Premium Pilot
Reactions
My first question since joining....

One thing that's prevented me from taking my Mavic 2 Pro on trips is how to carry it on for air travel. A big limiting factor for me is that I need to take my rolling laptop bag along to keep up with my work, so I really need a backpack that will hold my drone and bits securely, as well as have some other space for usual man-purse stuff while traveling.

So what's a good backpack for our drones while traveling by air?

Does your rolling laptop bag take up the slot for carry-on luggage, so you're looking for a personal item-sized bag?

I use a LowePro camera backpack sized to fit as a personal item, with the drone stored in it along with my cameras. It's a bit of a squeeze but my Mavic 2 and Nikon D800 fit, along with my laptop. Cords etc go in my carryon bag.

They don't make the model I have anymore, but almost anything with padding will do. Something like this will fit under the seat. Also has room for a laptop.

Reactions: CadrePilot
That bag looks pretty small.
Check your airline and get the dimensions for the max size of a personal item, then find a camera backpack that fits within them.

For Westjet, the size limit is 41 cm x 15 cm x 33 cm. The Tahoe bag is 27.5 x 21.7 x 40.3 cm, so too thick by nearly 7 cm (unless it compresses). My bag is pretty much at the Westjet size limit, and fits drone, four batteries, camera with two lenses, and the controller as well as my laptop. It's a tight fit, though.

This is a great backpack for drone travel. This is what I use. https://a.co/d/4hUeKWz . It is a bit pricey but it holds up very well for everything I have thrown at it.

I think I'm leaning toward the PGYTECH OneMo Lite 22L. It should be sufficent for my M2P, and maybe the Mini2, as well.

The Lowepro DroneGuard BP250 looks nice, but more like a full travel bag that certainly wouldn't pass airline muster on size, if loaded, as I'll have a roller back counting as my regular carry-on.

I'm also still considering the Lowepro Slingshot SL250 AW III, as it should have Lowepro quality in a smaller package. There's also one from Endurax that has decent ratings, their "Large Camera Backpack Drone Hardshell".

Does anyone have any experience with these?

Reactions: Hauptmann
I'm also still considering the Lowepro Slingshot SL250 AW III
I've got a LowePro Slingshot. It's OK. Good quality, but I find the Slingshot not as useful as a shoulder bag (I have a camera bag that looks like a messenger bag) or a backpack.

Another option would be a regular backpack with a smaller case for the drone. I have both of these cases:

When hiking, I use the smaller case (for drone only) inside a small backpack. I no longer use the larger case as I have a Smart Controller — I'd happily give it away if you can do a porch pickup. (Unlikely as I'm in Canada 🤣.) Still, it fits inside a normal backpack so would work for you.

For Westjet, the size limit is 41 cm x 15 cm x 33 cm.
Wow, 15cm is less than 6 inches (sorry, American here). That's tiny. I fly almost exclusively on Southwest here in the US, and my backpack (thanks to others for pointing it out) is about the same size as the BP250.

The BP250 is just the size of a standard backpack. Not sure what travel limitations are these days.
Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't actually compared it to my usual man-purse, er backpack. It is about the same.

Wow, 15cm is less than 6 inches (sorry, American here). That's tiny. I fly almost exclusively on Southwest here in the US, and my backpack (thanks to others for pointing it out) is about the same size as the BP250.
My backpack is a bit bigger, but I can squash it down if I need to fit a sizing device — and I ensure when packing it that I can do so without damage if the gate agents actually require it. Which they never have, but I believe in being prepared.

For Southwest, the personal item limits are 10 x 16 x 8.25 (in those delightfully archaic inches) or 29.9 x 47.8 x 24.7 (if you prefer traditional barleycorns). 🤣

The Lowepro DroneGuard BP250 looks nice, but more like a full travel bag that certainly wouldn't pass airline muster on size, if loaded, as I'll have a roller back counting as my regular carry-on.

For an M2P it's pretty much the smallest pack you'd want for carrying a decent drone kit, spare batteries etc.
I use mine all the time on airlines in cabin . . . when full with my M1P and 6 batteries, plus a heap of associated gear in there, it's spot on the 7kg cabin allowance here in Australia.
At destination, with chargers etc removed, it's also got room for a day trip bushwalking to hold a light rain jacket and lunch, water etc.

edit typo

Last edited:
This is my camera backpack:

(Not recommending that seller, just using the listing to show you the bag.)

It fits the Mavic 2, Smart Controller, four batteries, Nikon D800 with two lenses, filters, memory cards, chargers, and my laptop. It is 6 inches thick (with an external pocket that can add another 2 inches), 16 inches high, and 12 inches wide. So 2 inches too wide for your personal item if Southwest gets picky.

How stuffed is your rolling bag? Things like the battery charger can go anywhere in a pinch, and don't need padding.

The Lowepro DroneGuard BP250 worked great for flying. TSA was more curious than anything. They swabbed several batteries.

This bag is pretty comfortable. I wore it for at least 4 hours today, including walking a 5k. All that with my M2P, tablet, and 7 batteries (not a light load). My shoulders did get a bit weary toward the end, but I don't think any backpack could've prevented that.

I use a cheap-o no-name Costco backpack which holds my Mavic 2 Pro hardcase (with all accessories), my laptop, shaving kit, change of underwear and socks and a small work folder. It has two side pockets which hold a folding umbrella and a water bottle. There is an armored "tech vault" near the top where I stuff my wallet, watch, ID and iPhone and glasses while I go thru security. I hang a small Purell bottle and my earbud case from small carabiners. I usually just slide it under the seat so I can access any needed stuff during the flight. If it's just a casual overnight trip, that's the only thing I take. For a longer trip I take my roller bag which fits easily in the overhead bin.

Most backpack mfrs have air travelers in mind during their design phase. Many different brands should meet your needs. I suggest you take you drone bag, laptop and shaving kit with you as you shop for backpacks. I'm sure you'll find many budget ones which will fill the bill.
Happy flying!

Reactions: CadrePilot
The Lowepro DroneGuard BP250 got the job done!

As was pointed out, it's not any bigger than the non-tech backpack I've carrying on for years.

I had no problem fitting my M2P, controller, tablet holder, A7 tablet, 7 (SEVEN) batteries, and some other misc stuff into it. It was reasonably comfortable to wear. Heck, I walked a 5k with it. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne