DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Badlands of New Mexico

Some of the badlands near Chaco Canyon New Mexico
Hi Ken,
the area is exceptional and geologically very interesting! Actually, I would have liked the video very much, unfortunately you have overdone it with the effects, too bad, because that reduces the viewing pleasure.
Effects should not be used, or only very sparingly. I assume that you are a beginner in matters of video, because advanced do not use effects, if so, then in the best case a crossfade.
No one is born a master. If you heed the tips of older filmmakers, you'll get better and better...Skill comes with practice!
Sorry, only my two cents!?
cheers Paul

Hi Ken,
the area is exceptional and geologically very interesting! Actually, I would have liked the video very much, unfortunately you have overdone it with the effects, too bad, because that reduces the viewing pleasure.
Effects should not be used, or only very sparingly. I assume that you are a beginner in matters of video, because advanced do not use effects, if so, then in the best case a crossfade.
No one is born a master. If you heed the tips of older filmmakers, you'll get better and better...Skill comes with practice!
Sorry, only my two cents!?
cheers Paul
I'm absolutely a beginner with video. Thanks for the pointers!! I was already thinking that I need more close ups rather than just overview shots.

I look back at photos I took 25 years ago, and realize just how bad they were. Hopefully I can shorten the video learning process a little :)

Reactions: Richy mini
I'm absolutely a beginner with video. Thanks for the pointers!! I was already thinking that I need more close ups rather than just overview shots.

I look back at photos I took 25 years ago, and realize just how bad they were. Hopefully I can shorten the video learning process a little
You´r welcome! I'm glad you're not mad at me Ken! What is also highly recommended for drone video, are ground shots with a normal camera, there you can make beautiful close ups, because close-ups are the salt in the filmmaker's soup, without salt the soup tastes bland, and just so it is with the film, without close-ups a video looks boring. A good mix of close-ups, semi-close-ups and overview shots make a video interesting and worth watching. Practice practice practice is the motto and little by little you will get better, bet?

Happy filming/flying ?? Cheers Paul

You´r welcome! I'm glad you're not mad at me Ken! What is also highly recommended for drone video, are ground shots with a normal camera, there you can make beautiful close ups, because close-ups are the salt in the filmmaker's soup, without salt the soup tastes bland, and just so it is with the film, without close-ups a video looks boring. A good mix of close-ups, semi-close-ups and overview shots make a video interesting and worth watching. Practice practice practice is the motto and little by little you will get better, bet?

Happy filming/flying ?? Cheers Paul
thanks again. As soon as it's not 100F I plan on spending more time out there. I'll drag the SLR along too.

is it preferred to upload to YouTube in 4k, or is 1080 acceptable? File sizes and time increase substantially for 4k.

I'm exporting the above video in 1080 right now after deleting the transitions :)

thanks again. As soon as it's not 100F I plan on spending more time out there. I'll drag the SLR along too.

is it preferred to upload to YouTube in 4k, or is 1080 acceptable? File sizes and time increase substantially for 4k.

I'm exporting the above video in 1080 right now after deleting the transitions
you´r again welcome!? A SLR ist just fine for the ground based shots! Using 1080 you unfortunately give away image quality, I would only upload 4k, especially with landscapes it is advantageous if you have a larger resolution! Very good idea to delete the effects, good boy ??
cheers Paul

Reactions: ABQKen
I liked your video and music selection. The time of day you flew really highlighted the terrain there!

Cool!

Yes, you could fly closer, backwards, pull-away POI. But, gimbal tilt yields some of the most dramatic clips. I like the elevation drop you used.
Gimbal tilt down is best accompanied with increase in elevation, maintaining axis from the point of rotation and vice-versa. Horizon pans are best accomplished with a pull-away POI, where all you have to do is pull back on the right stick while in a POI. Backwards reveal with gimbal tilt up is a good one. The reverse would be the over-the-Cliff gimbal tilt down (Thelma & Louise).
Your turns look pretty smooth. You must have softened up your yaw and gimbal settings. If you can do gentle turns consistently, follow the landforms with long and soft bezier turns at lower elevations at ridge line or lower to achieve parallax effect. These shots will create a lot of drama relying less on editing techniques.

Greetings! Awesome, thanks for sharing!

Welcome to the forum from Chicago the Windy City.
I love the open land, no people, no body to hassle while you're flying.

If you go out via white horse from grants as you head to chaco canyon when you leave the pavement there is a place a few miles up the road pull in and say hello to mickey williams and his wife amy and of course son hank williams they are good folks to know when you are that far out if something were to happen

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
26bgomez