DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Ballygally along the Giant Causeway route, Northern Ireland

If you are still there go inland from Ballygalley and up towards the plateau, there's a great car park on the Feystown Rd. Linford Car Park 54.895551, -5.923061 There's ruins of a Roman or Celtic fort somewhere around there (drone and on foot)

Other places to look for, in, I think, running order going 'up' the coast.

There is an absolutely stunning view of a strangely shape mountain between, I think, Carnlough and Cushendall, I can never remember where it is but I love the view of it...... I think a drone sent seaward would get some fantastic shots.
Similarily, on the road inland from either CushenDun or Cushendall, I can never remember which, there is a great view of a wonderful U shaped valley but the view is looking seaward from up near the top. Hedges get in the way lower down. It's probably Glenariff so Cushendall but don't quote me.

There is a car park that might be in Red Bay at 55.07265, -6.05296 and in the evening or perhaps toward dusk, there is a PERFECT shadow silhouette of King Kong's face cast in/on the 'cliffs' when you look to the S.S.E. I don't know if it is season dependant. I had stopped for a cup of tea and just happened to spot it.

The road from Cushendun to Torr head ..........but be VERY CAREFUL, 20-30mph MAX if that, otherwise you might not spot oncoming cars in time. There are a few recessed farm gates and lay-bys where you could park for a short while.
Torr head itself, especially if there is a good tide rip running.
Murlough Bay, in places it's a VERY STEEP and narrow road so BE CAREFUL.
Fair Head itself, if you like a walk.
Unfortunately it would be a bit of a double back and possibly difficult to find somewhere to park but, with the drone in mind, there's a wonderful hairpin viaduct on the A2 between Cushendall and Ballycastle, you literally can't miss it or you'd be toast. 55.121565, -6.09560 I think.
U turn and through Ballycastle to

Kinbane head,
Portaneevy carpark
Carrick-a-rede (National trust?) ooops geography a bit wonky.

Ballintoy Harbour, there's a famous house near the harbour, you would see it if you go, it is 'quite' unusual.
PortBradden.
Dunseverick Harbour, the waterfall looks really weird from 'early' parts of the road down to the harbour.
Giants Causeway but that's National Trust so no take off/landing unless perhaps you are there towards evening or perhaps want to argue the toss about taking off in the tidal zone but if you do WATCH OUT for waves.

Dunluce Castle, watch out for crows. (National trust?)
Magheracross car park + walk along the road from there towards Portrush as far as the first sharp bend whilst looking over the 'seawall'. If there's a stiff on-shore breeze you may get a waterfall blowing up over the road and if the tide is right, sea foam blowing out of a roofless cave.
Carrick-a-rede (National trust?)

Somewhere between Magheracross carpark and Portrush, possibly near Whiterocks, there is a big, disused quarry to the landward side of the road. The road at that point is running over sea arches or 'hidden' bridges, I went up and down that road for 20+ years before I discoverd those 'arches'. There is also a 'new' view point to seaward of the road but I haven't been up that way since I spotted it on a google aerial view.

Basically most of the roads to seaward of the A2 lead to interesting places.

Dark hedges, especially if you are a game of thrones fan.

You are probably used to small roads but if not goes easy on any narrow roads with hedges, there are some BAD bends on some of the roads I mention, virtually U turns, and loads of very blind summits. Add in a lot of farm traffic and the odd school or tourist bus and it can be a tight squeeze or having to reverse in places.

Oh forgot
Gleno waterfall near Ballygalley off the Carneal Waterfall Rd. 54.8 , --5.83223
The east coast road up Islandmagee might be worth a look to seaward with a drone, there are some fair sized cliffs I think.
From memory there is a sign posted waterfall in Glenariff Forest Park but I have never been and somewhere up whatever Glen it is there, there is a intermittent waterfall that comes straight of the tops and has quite a drop. But I have never had a long enough lens to get a good shot of it. If I ever get up that way again that is one drone flight for sure.

Sorry this post grew as things came to mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlyingDutchman90
If you are stil there go inland from Ballygalley and up towards the plateau, there's a great car park on the Feystown Rd. Linford Car Park 54.895551, -5.923061 There's ruins of a Roman or Celtic fort somewhere around there (drone and on foot)

Other places to look for, in, I think, running order going 'up' the coast.

There is an absolutely stunning view of a strangely shape mountain between, I think, Carnlough and Cushendall, I can never remember where it is but I love the view of it...... I think a drone sent seaward would get some fantastic shots.
Similarily, on the road inland from either CushenDun or Cushendall, I can never remember which, there is a great view of a wonderful U shaped valley but the view is looking seaward from up near the top. Hedges get in the way lower down. It's probably Glenariff so Cushendall but don't quote me.

There is a car park that might be in Red Bay at 55.07265, -6.05296 and in the evening or perhaps toward dusk, there is a PERFECT shadow silhouette of King Kong's face cast in/on the 'cliffs' when you look to the S.S.E. I don't know if it is season dependant. I had stopped for a cup of tea and just happened to spot it.

The road from Cushendun to Torr head ..........but be VERY CAREFUL, 20-30mph MAX if that, otherwise you might not spot oncoming cars in time. There are a few recessed farm gates and lay-bys where you could park for a short while.
Torr head itself, especially if there is a good tide rip running.
Murlough Bay, in places it's a VERY STEEP and narrow road so BE CAREFUL.
Fair Head itself, if you like a walk.
Unfortunately it would be a bit of a double back and possibly difficult to find somewhere to park but, with the drone in mind, there's a wonderful hairpin viaduct on the A2 between Cushendall and Ballycastle, you literally can't miss it or you'd be toast. 55.121565, -6.09560 I think.
U turn and through Ballycastle to

Kinbane head,
Ballintoy Harbour, there's a famous house near the harbour, you would see it if you go, it is 'quite' unusual.
PortBradden.
Dunseverick Harbour, the waterfall looks really weird from 'early' parts of the road down to the harbour.
Giants Causeway but that's National Trust so no take off/landing unless perhaps you are there towards evening or perhaps want to argue the toss about taking off in the tidal zone but if you do WATCH OUT for waves.

Dunluce Castle, watch out for crows. (National trust?)
Magheracross car park + walk along the road from there towards Portrush as far as the first sharp bend whilst looking over the 'seawall'. If there's a stiff on-shore breeze you may get a waterfall blowing up over the road and if the tide is right, sea foam blowing out of a roofless cave.
Carrick-a-rede (National trust?)

Somewhere between Magheracross carpark and Portrush, possibly near Whiterocks, there is a big, disused quarry to the landward side of the road. The road at that point is running over sea arches or 'hidden' bridges, I went up and down that road for 20+ years before I discoverd those 'arches'. There is also a 'new' view point to seaward of the road but I haven't been up that way since I spotted it on a google aerial view.

Basically most of the roads to seaward of the A2 lead to interesting places.

Dark hedges, especially if you are a game of thrones fan.

You are probably used to small roads but if not goes easy on any narrow roads with hedges, there are some BAD bends on some of the roads I mention, virtually U turns, and loads of very blind summits. Add in a lot of farm traffic and the odd school or tourist bus and it can be a tight squeeze or having to reverse in places.

Oh forgot
Gleno waterfall near Ballygalley off the Carneal Waterfall Rd. 54.8 , --5.83223
The east coast road up Islandmagee might be worth a look to seaward with a drone, there are some fair sized cliffs I think.
From memory there is a sign posted waterfall in Glenariff Forest Park but I have never been and somewhere up whatever Glen it is there, there is a intermittent waterfall that comes straight of the tops and has quite a drop. But I have never had a long enough lens to get a good shot of it. If I ever get up that way again that is one drone flight for sure.

Sorry this post grew as things came to mind.
Thank you so much for the long reply! Really appreciate the effort. This footage is of last April, so by now I returned back to Cork.
However, I did most of the things you mentioned. I drove along the entire coastline between Belfast and Portrush in 5 days. And I got some wonderful footage at the drive between Torr Head and Cushenden. Roads are narrow, but people are generally driving slow and are very polite, so it's actually a very relaxing drive.
I did miss a sign a Murlough Bay though that said that the road stopped at the said sign (I was focusing too much on what the navigation system was telling me that I must have overlooked this sign....) and because of that mistake I almost ended in the sea with my car..... Other than that. Drive went very smooth!

Unfortunately we had a fair bit of rain so I couldn't take out my drone everywhere, but apart from Ballygally and the Torr Head drive, I got some nice footage on Rathlin Island, Dunluce Castle, Giant Causeway and Mussenden Temple!

But still, 5 days was not enough to see all the highlights, so I will definitely return there. And I will check up on your list then to make sure to have everything done!
Thanks a lot.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Awesome video!
Keep up the great work!
And I just now subscribed 👍
Thank you so much for the kind words and your subscription! Very much appreciated!

Reactions: dozzn
Incidentally with a P3 flying from Portaneevy carpark I got close to the rope bridge at Carrick-a-Rede, (650m as the drone flyies) this was evening so Carrick-a-Rede was closed. I could probably have done a loop under and over the rope bridge but didn't want to push my luck.

You could reach Dunluce Castle from Magheracross Car Park, 500m, I think.

Carrick-a-Rede offers some beautiful views indeed. Unfortunately it was raining while I was there. And the rope bridge was also closed, but I was told that this is the case most of the times.....
Also Dunluce Castle was closed when I was there, so only had a glimpse from the car park. But I was able to get my drone in the air there, so I do have some shots. Will be editing that somewhere in the near future and will post it here as well!

Thank you so much for the long reply! Really appreciate the effort. This footage is of last April, so by now I returned back to Cork.
However, I did most of the things you mentioned. I drove along the entire coastline between Belfast and Portrush in 5 days. And I got some wonderful footage at the drive between Torr Head and Cushenden. Roads are narrow, but people are generally driving slow and are very polite, so it's actually a very relaxing drive.
I did miss a sign a Murlough Bay though that said that the road stopped at the said sign (I was focusing too much on what the navigation system was telling me that I must have overlooked this sign....) and because of that mistake I almost ended in the sea with my car..... Other than that. Drive went very smooth!

Unfortunately we had a fair bit of rain so I couldn't take out my drone everywhere, but apart from Ballygally and the Torr Head drive, I got some nice footage on Rathlin Island, Dunluce Castle, Giant Causeway and Mussenden Temple!

But still, 5 days was not enough to see all the highlights, so I will definitely return there. And I will check up on your list then to make sure to have everything done!
Thanks a lot.
The hills surrounding the Linford Road carpark that @Yorkshire_Pud refers to is referred to locally as Sallagh Braes. It was also a Game of Thrones location and some of the old GOT huts are still there. I've donw some hiking there had the Mavic Pro and the Mavic 2 Pro up - it's a great open space to fly, though often incredibly windy (I've videos on Youtube if you're interested).

Carrick-a-Rede offers some beautiful views indeed. Unfortunately it was raining while I was there. And the rope bridge was also closed, but I was told that this is the case most of the times.....
Also Dunluce Castle was closed when I was there, so only had a glimpse from the car park. But I was able to get my drone in the air there, so I do have some shots. Will be editing that somewhere in the near future and will post it here as well!
Carrick-a-Rede was closed for a long time during the covid restrictions but has now reopened, however, unlike pre-covid trips where you could just turn up and buy a ticket, you now have to book online before you go. You can obtain drone footage from the Portnareevy Car Park viewpoint just up the hill on the B15 in the direction of Ballycastle. This was a free car park though that might have changed as it has recently been extended and upgraded.

@The Fat Controller, did I miss anywhere?
I suppose the vanishing lake, Loughareema, on the A2 is notable but you have to know of it for it to be significant otherwise you pass it in the blink of an eye.
I didn't normally go beyond Portrush and am not into towns so don't take note of them.
I know some folks like that folly up at Magilligan? Bishop's something? and did once get up into the coastal hills east of Londonderry?, there were some great views but I couldn't put place names to them.

@The Fat Controller, did I miss anywhere?
I suppose the vanishing lake, Loughareema, on the A2 is notable but you have to know of it for it to be significant otherwise you pass it in the blink of an eye.
I didn't normally go beyond Portrush and am not into towns so don't take note of them.
I know some folks like that folly up at Magilligan? Bishop's something? and did once get up into the coastal hills east of Londonderry?, there were some great views but I couldn't put place names to them.
@Yorkshire_Pud It doesn't look like there's anything missed, that's a comprehensive list you've put together. There is so much brilliant scenery there it's hard to pick a favourite. Bishop's Gate and Mussenden Temple are National Trust but they can't do much if you TOAL from nearby public land. My advice to a visitor would just be to drive the area and have your drone with you, weather permitting you're bound to get some great shots. Thumbswayup

Carrick-a-Rede was closed for a long time during the covid restrictions but has now reopened, however, unlike pre-covid trips where you could just turn up and buy a ticket, you now have to book online before you go. You can obtain drone footage from the Portnareevy Car Park viewpoint just up the hill on the B15 in the direction of Ballycastle. This was a free car park though that might have changed as it has recently been extended and upgraded.
But it also depends on the weather conditions. When we were there, it was too windy. And I've been told that it is actually too windy most of the times.
The Portaneevy Car park was still free in April.

Reactions: The Fat Controller
Ooo just stumbled across this, I suspect the clip @0:32 is my "great view of a wonderful U shaped valley but the view is looking seaward from up near these from the are top."
I've never been impressed with PortBallintrae but seen from the air mmmmmmm

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000