DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pro Baltimore City- View of the inner harbor

Kywon McCain

⭐Smooth Operator⭐
Premium Pilot
Reactions
*I'm just gonna get this out of the way. Me being near tall buildings allows me to legally fly above 400ft*

I discovered a law where if your near buildings that are as tall as 400ft you can fly a little bit higher legally. I decided to give this a try to see how it felt. Scary. Very scary especially with my front optical sensors failed needing calibration.

Besides from the scariness of well, you know, the results I got was cool.

Of course, I had to make sure I can see the drone the entire time which I did with the back flashing light and the front red ones, and made sure before the flight there won't be any planes nearby just to be safe. I'm really happy I fixed my drone

Attachments

• 2022-03-10-19-57-38.jpg
    2022-03-10-19-57-38.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 42
*I'm just gonna get this out of the way. Me being near tall buildings allows me to legally fly above 400ft*

I discovered a law where if your near buildings that are as tall as 400ft you can fly a little bit higher legally. I decided to give this a try to see how it felt. Scary. Very scary especially with my front optical sensors failed needing calibration.

Besides from the scariness of well, you know, the results I got was cool.

Of course, I had to make sure I can see the drone the entire time which I did with the back flashing light and the front red ones, and made sure before the flight there won't be any planes nearby just to be safe. I'm really happy I fixed my drone
Kywon what you read pertains to those that have passed there certification for 14 CFR Part 107. That rule does not apply to those flying as recreational pilots under 49 USC 44809. Recreational pilots are limited to 400’ AGL maximum. I do not want you getting in trouble for flying unlawfully.

What you read was part of 107.51 which reads:
A remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system must comply with all of the following operating limitations when operating a small unmanned aircraft system:

(a) The groundspeed of the small unmanned aircraft may not exceed 87 knots (100 miles per hour).
(b) The altitude of the small unmanned aircraft cannot be higher than 400 feet above ground level, unless the small unmanned aircraft:
(1) Is flown within a 400-foot radius of a structure; and
(2) Does not fly higher than 400 feet above the structure's immediate uppermost limit.
(c) The minimum flight visibility, as observed from the location of the control station must be no less than 3 statute miles. For purposes of this section, flight visibility means the average slant distance from the control station at which prominent unlighted objects may be seen and identified by day and prominent lighted objects may be seen and identified by night.
(d) The minimum distance of the small unmanned aircraft from clouds must be no less than:
(1) 500 feet below the cloud; and
(2) 2,000 feet horizontally from the cloud.

That being said, if you were flying as the operator of the controls with a 107 certified rPIC by your side, then you could legally fly that extra altitude referred to in 107.51(b).

The rules you fly under are outlined in AC 91-57B which is referenced by 49 USC 44809 which is linked to here;

Kywon what you read pertains to those that have passed there certification for 14 CFR Part 107. That rule does not apply to those flying as recreational pilots under 49 USC 44809. Recreational pilots are limited to 400’ AGL maximum. I do not want you getting in trouble for flying unlawfully.

What you read was part of 107.51 which reads:
A remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system must comply with all of the following operating limitations when operating a small unmanned aircraft system:

(a) The groundspeed of the small unmanned aircraft may not exceed 87 knots (100 miles per hour).
(b) The altitude of the small unmanned aircraft cannot be higher than 400 feet above ground level, unless the small unmanned aircraft:
(1) Is flown within a 400-foot radius of a structure; and
(2) Does not fly higher than 400 feet above the structure's immediate uppermost limit.
(c) The minimum flight visibility, as observed from the location of the control station must be no less than 3 statute miles. For purposes of this section, flight visibility means the average slant distance from the control station at which prominent unlighted objects may be seen and identified by day and prominent lighted objects may be seen and identified by night.
(d) The minimum distance of the small unmanned aircraft from clouds must be no less than:
(1) 500 feet below the cloud; and
(2) 2,000 feet horizontally from the cloud.

That being said, if you were flying as the operator of the controls with a 107 certified rPIC by your side, then you could legally fly that extra altitude referred to in 107.51(b).

The rules you fly under are outlined in AC 91-57B which is referenced by 49 USC 44809 which is linked to here;

Am I going to get in trouble?

Am I going to get in trouble?
Not likely for this time. I am just trying to pass on some knowledge to you to help keep you out of trouble. I also made the same mistake when I first started flying drones when it comes to that rule. I hadn’t tried to do it yet, but was informed by a very knowledgeable 107 certified pilot that you had to be certified to be able to do that.

Reactions: Jam0ne
Not likely for this time. I am just trying to pass on some knowledge to you to help keep you out of trouble. I also made the same mistake when I first started flying drones when it comes to that rule. I hadn’t tried to do it yet, but was informed by a very knowledgeable 107 certified pilot that you had to be certified to be able to do that.
Thanks DoomMeister for being civil while being educational for our young Droner Kywon.
Blue Skys & Happy Contrails. ➰
B52-D

In the EU it's like this, you can fly up to 15 meters above the highest structure. Check the regulations for your area.
Distance.jpg

Thanks DoomMeister for being civil while being educational for our young Droner Kywon.
Blue Skys & Happy Contrails. ➰
B52-D
Part of that equation is that Kywon had done some research to find that information, thus he is trying to educate himself instead of wanting to be spoon fed information. I don’t always have time to answer in detail, but when I do I try to educate.

Reactions: B52-D
In the EU it's like this, you can fly up to 15 meters above the highest structure. Check the regulations for your area.
Distance.jpg
It the US it is similar for 107 certified pilots. In uncontrolled airspace they can fly 120m AGL and within 120m from an obstacle they are allowed 120m above the highest point of that obstacle.

The recreational pilot in the US is limited to 120m AGL maximum. They are not allowed to exceed that to avoid an obstacle.

It the US it is similar for 107 certified pilots. In uncontrolled airspace they can fly 120m AGL and within 120m from an obstacle they are allowed 120m above the highest point of that obstacle.

The recreational pilot in the US is limited to 120m AGL maximum. They are not allowed to exceed that to avoid an obstacle.
Ah I see. So only the licenced ones are able to exceed the above level, if above a high structure.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000