DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bard College Report on "Sate & Local Drone Laws"

Tony Kiburis

Reactions
The following URL is a very interesting report about the efforts of your local communities attempts to restrict drone use.
It is noteworthy that the FAA still supports that they alone can make rules about the airspace we fly in, not State or Local jurisdictions.
I suggest that if any of you get into trouble with local law enforcement don't get on your high horse & play lawyer, you will loose that battle.
Be cooperative but seek out a lawyer & give him a copy of this report. It will give him an excellent starting point to defend you.

Please note this report is from 2017 but is the best I could find.

https://dronecenter.bard.edu/files/2017/03/CSD-Local-and-State-Drone-Laws-1.pdf

Safe flying,
TonyK

Rick,
Old news, not to you & me.
It's not known to local municipalities & even State Legislators.

The following was an bill by my State of South Carolina to restrict drone flying.

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1. Article 7, Chapter 11, Title 16 of the 1976 Code is amended by adding:
“Section 16-11-605. (A) Any person willfully causing or allowing an unmanned aerial vehicle, an unpiloted aerial vehicle, or a remotely piloted aerial vehicle under his control that is equipped with a camera or a recording device to enter upon or above the lands of another, without the consent of the owner, shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall, for a first offense, be fined not more than two hundred dollars or imprisoned for not more than thirty days, for a second offense, be fined not less than one hundred dollars nor more than two hundred dollars or imprisoned for not more than thirty days and, for a third or subsequent offense, be fined not less than five hundred dollars nor more than one thousand dollars or imprisoned for not more than six months or both.

FYI, it never became law.

Last edited:
old news,everyone knows FAA is ruling party

It may be old news to you, but for someone brand new in the hobby, it's valuable. I'm trying to sort out just where I can fly without it being a legal shitstorm - I appreciate the link and the added info.

good for yoy newbs,a search will provide loads of info on FAA,your rights and what states and towns can't do

The following URL is a very interesting report about the efforts of your local communities attempts to restrict drone use.
It is noteworthy that the FAA still supports that they alone can make rules about the airspace we fly in, not State or Local jurisdictions.
I suggest that if any of you get into trouble with local law enforcement don't get on your high horse & play lawyer, you will loose that battle.
Be cooperative but seek out a lawyer & give him a copy of this report. It will give him an excellent starting point to defend you.

Please note this report is from 2017 but is the best I could find.

https://dronecenter.bard.edu/files/2017/03/CSD-Local-and-State-Drone-Laws-1.pdf

Safe flying,
TonyK

Thanks for posting this. I had not seen it. My take on these local/state "regulations" is that, for the most part they are poorly crafted because they are overbroad. More significant is that most of these "regulations" appear to attempt to regulate airspace that is already controlled by the FAA and therefore not subject to local rulemaking.
Sadly, IMO, it all comes down to money. If one is charged with a local violation, one must decide if it is worthwhile fiscally to contest the matter.
Ultimately, the drone community will have to contest some of these "regulations" and prevail in such contests.
It occurs to me that the consumer drone community and the commercial drone community need to work together. They have many common interests.

Reactions: SpitFire