DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"Basic" Litchi (or Dronelink) question

RetiredInFL

Very Large Member
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Just so I understand the concept of how this works and so I don't lose my MPP. Let's say just as an example I create a mission to fly around a lake that is 3/4 miles from my takeoff point. Would I be able to just create the waypoints (or orbit in Dronelink) only around the lake and the AC will fly back to "home" 3/4 miles from the lake where I launched when the mission is completed (assuming I have RTH after completion set in app of course) or do I need to create the mission starting from my takeoff point then to the lake then back?

Sounds like a dumb question and I assume it is the former but want to make sure.

It's not a dumb question RIF. At the end of a mission there are a number of options you can select. At the end of the mission: 1) Do nothing. 2) Return to Waypoint 1. 3) Return Home. 4) Reverse. It all depends on what you want to do. But at any point you can push the RTH button and cancel the mission in the middle or end.

Here is a link to the basic Litchi tutorial that I watched and found it most helpful. Phantom Film School link to Litchi Tutorial I think it's about 20 minutes and well worth the time spent.
If you didn't know, you can pre-program Litchi missions from your home computer, save them, and do a VIRTUAL FLY-THROUGH on Google Earth Pro. Mind blowing. What's great about that is that after you do the initial programming you might see something on the virtual flight and then adjust it before getting out in the field. There was one mission that I just wasn't far enough away to capture the entire building I was circling, and was able to modify the waypoints before being disappointed in actual execution.

But again, watch the tutorials from the above link. It will tell you a lot even though it's a trifle bit dated. Litchi is way cooler that I ever thought it was. Sorry to get way beyond the answer to your question. As you can see, I'm a fan.... and have only had it less than 2 weeks.... and have used it a bunch of times.

Thanks, excellent tutorial, but it doesn't answer my question. Maybe I wasn't clear. Let me try again.

Just an Example for clarity:
  • I am standing in a parking lot 1 mile from a lake which I want to photograph.
  • I create a mission while back at home with waypoints ONLY around the lake since I had no idea where I would be to start the mission until I found the parking lot..
  • If I launch from the parking lot (wherever it may be) and start the mission will it fly to the lake **OR** do I need to draw the mission from the parking lot to the lake, then around the lake, then back to the parking lot.

Thanks, excellent tutorial, but it doesn't answer my question. Maybe I wasn't clear. Let me try again.

Just an Example for clarity:
  • I am standing in a parking lot 1 mile from a lake which I want to photograph.
  • I create a mission while back at home with waypoints ONLY around the lake since I had no idea where I would be to start the mission until I found the parking lot..
  • If I launch from the parking lot (wherever it may be) and start the mission will it fly to the lake **OR** do I need to draw the mission from the parking lot to the lake, then around the lake, then back to the parking lot.
At the start, it will fly to the first waypoint directly from wherever it is when you pressed the "Play" button on the Litchi screen. It will be your job to ensure the path to Point 1 of your mission is free from obstructions.
@vindibona1 has specified what it will do at the end, depending on how you programme the mission. It sounds like "3) Return Home" is what you want, and again you will need to be satisfied that this path is free from obstructions.

Personally, if I can, I spend some time going over the map to look for the ideal starting position. I am looking for:
  • proximity to what I want to film - my Mavic Air only has a limited range
  • good line of sight to where the mission will fly - firstly, it is the law, and secondly, Litchi issues all yaw and speed change commands directly from the controller during the mission (these elements are not programmed in the flight). 3D mapping on GoogleEarth is ideal for this
  • seclusion - I don't want to disturb other people, or invite too much interest
  • ideally, a park bench - more relaxing, and easier to access all the kit you bring

As @Facherty said, when you start the mission the drone will fly directly to Waypoint 1 when you push the play symbol, then "start mission" then will execute the mission when it arrives at that point. He also made some excellent points. I'd like to add one more...

Make sure to double check your RTH height setting and the topography of the area you're flying over and if you use RTH in the Litchi settings when mission complete understand that when it's done the automated route it will make a bee-line back to home if you've instructed it to do so.If you're not sure, in the settings tell it to "do nothing" so you can take control back, check your altitude before returning home or to another point. If there are obstacles in that RTH bee-line and your setting isn't high enough to clear them... you know the rest.

And another thing: If you plan your mission, calculate the time/distance from take-off to point 1 and from the last point back to take-off (or designated landingzone). Calculating a mission on max. battery and forgetting the little extra you need to come home can cause problems (as I experienced...)

At the start, it will fly to the first waypoint directly from wherever it is when you pressed the "Play" button on the Litchi screen. It will be your job to ensure the path to Point 1 of your mission is free from obstructions.

Thank you, that is exactly what I wanted to confirm. My final question regarding the highlight clip from your quoted post is: What determines the ALTITUDE of this "bee-line" to WAYPOINT #1 in my hypothetical mission at the hypothetical parking lot! ? I want to put drone on the ground, hit start and let 'er rip completely untouched. Or do I need to manually take off to my preferred clear & safe altitude to then make the "bee-line" to Waypoint #1? I know that is an OPTION but I am trying to understand how much automation can be expected.

Again, this is all hypothetical just so I can get a full understanding on how these missions work.

Thanks!
Ed

To be able to start a litchi mission, you have to take off first. As soon as you are flying, you can start

To be able to start a litchi mission, you have to take off first. As soon as you are flying, you can start
Actually, you can hit start and the drone will take off by itself provided the power is on. At least that’s how it can work with my M2P..

Reactions: Rmcolon
Thank you, that is exactly what I wanted to confirm. My final question regarding the highlight clip from your quoted post is: What determines the ALTITUDE of this "bee-line" to WAYPOINT #1 in my hypothetical mission at the hypothetical parking lot! ? I want to put drone on the ground, hit start and let 'er rip completely untouched. Or do I need to manually take off to my preferred clear & safe altitude to then make the "bee-line" to Waypoint #1? I know that is an OPTION but I am trying to understand how much automation can be expected.

Again, this is all hypothetical just so I can get a full understanding on how these missions work.

Thanks!
Ed
Based on my limited experience with Litchi (about 10 missions) I believe that you can do either. You can hit start and it will automatically takeoff and fly to waypoint number one. Conversely, you could manually takeoff and hover and then press start and it will fly to waypoint one. The best way to visualize it would be if you connected a string from the point in space when you press start to waypoint one that’s The path it will follow. You will have to make sure there are no obstacles between these two points.

FYI, the best way to confirm this for yourself is to setup a short 2 waypoint mission in a wide open place and check out how it behaves under the different situations.

Thanks!
Ed

In my opinion, the smartest, safest way to do it is manually launch your drone and fly it to a known altitude to clear obstacles. If still uncertain, create one extra waypoint as Waypoint 1 which comes before the actual "practical" start of the mission with a higher altitude than where you really want it to be. In other words, Waypoint 2 will be what would have been Waypoint 1, but it gives you the option of starting at a higher altitude to be sure of clearance, and then it will decend to Waypoint 2 to start the actual run. And fake Waypoint 1 can be right on top of Waypoint 2. You can do the same thing at the end of the mission and create a final extra Waypoint that is higher so that the drone flys up above any suspected obstacles.

Play with it on your computer in the Mission Hub and preview run the simulation on Google Earth. It will tell you and teach you a lot. I had no idea that this mission creation/preview existed when I purchased Litchi. Is there a "mind-blown" emoji?

Thanks!
Ed
From take off, the drone will first fly upwards to the WP1 altitude, then fly at that height directly to first waypoint. On ending mission, drone flies up or down to RTH height, then flies directly back home. Hope this answers your query.

Reactions: dawgpilot
From take off, the drone will first fly upwards to the WP1 altitude, then fly at that height directly to first waypoint. On ending mission, drone flies up or down to RTH height, then flies directly back home. Hope this answers your query.
Are you sure about this? I don’t believe mine have done this.

edit: I just double checked the manual and it does agree with you.

Last edited:
Are you sure about this? I don’t believe mine have done this.
edit: I just double checked the manual and it does agree with you.

It pays to make sure you're clear of obstacles in any event. It's too easy to misjudge obstacle or building heights. Trust me. I was saved once by an optical sensor even though I looked up the building height that I was flying around and though I left room to spare and found I was about 14' short. A combination of printed misinformation on building height my inability to accuratelyconvert meters into feet.

Just so I understand the concept of how this works and so I don't lose my MPP. Let's say just as an example I create a mission to fly around a lake that is 3/4 miles from my takeoff point. Would I be able to just create the waypoints (or orbit in Dronelink) only around the lake and the AC will fly back to "home" 3/4 miles from the lake where I launched when the mission is completed (assuming I have RTH after completion set in app of course) or do I need to create the mission starting from my takeoff point then to the lake then back?

Sounds like a dumb question and I assume it is the former but want to make sure.

As an FYI -Dronelink works the same basic way.

There are a a bunch of free videos to watch on how to do this stuff, but here’s a good start to finish one for you:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinblueline3