DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

battery care if flying weekly

I think DJI does the same thing with its batteries. But I don't have the guts to run down my battery to 0 percent and find out.
battery warranty is not voided in circumstances complete depletion. just yesterday afternoon drone remained energized cabling usb mp4 files out from it. it took too long. i did not know whether mp4 loss would result on forced "move" cancellation. so i let battery shut itself off from complete depletion during usb cabled mp4 offloading.
the battery immediately was charged by line powered charger provided and succeeded charge up satisfactorily.
too bad there's no battery analyzer which actually calculates impaired performance if any based upon known performance expectation.

turns out the mp4 "move" command aborted the involved mp4 movement. fortunately the movements of the earlier mp4 files were successful.

upon resumption of moving mp4's, swapped the usb cable to three inch in lieu threefeet. discovered tenfold faster per file moved!

If u are putting back the mAh when u charge up, the battery will not let you use the top and bottom reserve for a flight emergency. so on a new battery flying to 0% will result in a crash. It’s a function that benefits the battery only. Not the Mavic.
The battery will only ever access that reserve capacity when it senses that not enough mAh are going back into the battery after a charge.
It’s best practice for the battery but it also keeps legal issues away as under normal use say for a mobile phone, after 2 years you will still be getting close to the mAh stated Samsung sold you.

boy, seems corporation counsel gets 1st pick designing criterion.
that said, let the owner user enable disable the augment facilitated:
Mode All
Mode Not All

let me decide:
Mode 130% with lost longevity
Mode 100% with no lost longevity

recent informative chat of battery designs already here that are shapeable, meaning no longer geometrically restrained to footprint. it can be "skinned over" the contoured substrate or actual structure, say, the fuselage coating internal as well external. how such shapeability is afforded revolutionizes applications.

If u are putting back the mAh when u charge up, the battery will not let you use the top and bottom reserve for a flight emergency. so on a new battery flying to 0% will result in a crash. It’s a function that benefits the battery only. Not the Mavic.
I do understand your logic, but that just sounds wrong from a consumer's point of view. Considering the price of the battery vs the mavic, I would rather have a battery sacrifice itself, if necessary, to get my mavic back on the ground safely. It makes little sense to sacrifice the mavic for the longevity of the battery.

Sorry I did not get any of that
this new type of battery need not be confined to any particular geometry as we have. instead it is shapeable as in contoured shape and size. that means it can be weight distributed widespread if need be. so i had mentioned lining the fuselage interior and maybe exterior with such "conformal coating" however thick it be. I'm sure youll disburse much more volumetric battery amount than legacy approaches with compactness yet center of inertia unfriendly

I have a question for the experts here. I fly for SWAT. Knowing I could get called out at anytime, I need them ready to go. I keep Spark, Air, Zoom, and Enterprise Dual in my pack.
It’s a huge pain to deal with, but I’ve been charging them every week. I don’t fly them all every week so they are usually discharging them selves.
Any recommendations to dealing with the battery issue would be appreciated.
Thanks!

I didn't read all of the replies to this so forgive me if I'm duplicating information.

We are required to have multiple aircraft "Mission Ready" 24/7. This can be VERY hard on the packs as keeping them at Full Charge for any extended periods of time causes internal damage. For the most part our SOP for a Full Charge Storage is 7 days.

Here is how we keep our fleet Mission Ready 24/7. We have multiple aircraft that all use different batteries. This means a "Battery Management System" is needed to maintain everything without causing serious and irreparable battery degradation.

• A) We have the ability to charge multiple packs on-scene and en-route to a call. This is key to the Big Picture.
  • B) We keep 1 Flight Pack of batteries for each aircraft topped off so when we arrive on-scene we can fly immediately with no delay.
  • C) Each battery is labeled and the stock is rotated weekly to make sure the same battery isn't kept at 100% any more than the others.
  • D) If the 100% Flight Pack isn't used at all during the time period it's reduced to Storage Charge while the next pack in line is brought up to 100%. Flying is the preferred way to discharge but letting the pack Auto-Discharge (for SMART batteries) or using a Storage Mode Charger is acceptable but the key is to not over discharge a pack to minimal levels.
  • E) Detailed and meticulous records have to be kept or the whole process is a waste of time, effort, and equipment.
  • F) Batteries are considered "consumable" but we try to maintain them with the highest level of care and tracking possible.
  • G) We build "Battery Replacement" into our Annual Budget at the rate of 1/2 per year (24 month total replacement cycle).

Hopefully this will help guide others who are just getting started in Agency/Dept Battery Management for Public Safety/Emergency Services.

Reactions: msinger
Take care of the batteries by flying them for personal use :D

Having done 180 cycles on one of my M2P batteries, DJI definitely got it right this time. I should also mention those 180 cycles are landing between 0 and 10% normally.

Govt use of battery taints of mentality economization.
Crisis demands gas turbine carbon fuel.
Why burden by batteries?
it is approvable, the cost to neutralize need be.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure