DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery charging question. So I got the 65W DJI charger and I was wondering......

4 inch pistons

Reactions
I own the Mini 2 with the multi port charger and 2 batteries, the Avata with the single charger, and the FPV with the fly more kit. The FPV charges the batteries very quickly and it plugs directly into a standard 110V wall outlet.

The Mini 2 using a single 5W USB takes forever, so using my 25W Samsung Galaxy Fast Charger, it goes much faster. On the Avata I have the single charger but 3 batteries an using a standard USB port takes forever, too. So I got an open box deal on the DJI 65W unit and was wondering if it can be used for the Avata, Mini 2 and the Mini 3 Pro that is a few weeks away? I read it was made for the Mavic 3, but is that the only model it works with?

I own the Mini 2 with the multi port charger and 2 batteries, the Avata with the single charger, and the FPV with the fly more kit. The FPV charges the batteries very quickly and it plugs directly into a standard 110V wall outlet.

The Mini 2 using a single 5W USB takes forever, so using my 25W Samsung Galaxy Fast Charger, it goes much faster. On the Avata I have the single charger but 3 batteries an using a standard USB port takes forever, too. So I got an open box deal on the DJI 65W unit and was wondering if it can be used for the Avata, Mini 2 and the Mini 3 Pro that is a few weeks away? I read it was made for the Mavic 3, but is that the only model it works with?
I use the 65W charger that came with my Mavic 3 with my Mini 3 Pro and Avata no issues.

My understanding is that the Flymore charger supports PD (high wattage) USB-C. Standard chargers do not output the higher voltage to deliver that. You also need to stick to a PD rated charging cord.

It is really just the Avata and Mini 2 that I am concerned about.

It is really just the Avata and Mini 2 that I am concerned about.
DJI Batteries don't care about the size of the charger, they will only accept what they need and nothing more. A larger wattage charger because of the extra current will charge the batteries a touch faster, but they will still only accept the amount of power they require.

the one thing that nobody has mentioned so far, is that although the batteries will charge ok with a higher wattage charger the BMS could shut down the charging process if it thinks that the cells are likely to be damaged because to much current is being supplied,and if the BMS itself was damaged then the battery is essentially a brick

the one thing that nobody has mentioned so far, is that although the batteries will charge ok with a higher wattage charger the BMS could shut down the charging process if it thinks that the cells are likely to be damaged because to much current is being supplied,and if the BMS itself was damaged then the battery is essentially a brick
If BMS is Battery Management System, there are slews of videos on YT using USB Power meters showing chargers up to 100w or so, maybe more, charging devices with far lower wattage requirements and the meter shows that the draw is only what the battery can take, not what the charger could potentially supply.

@Macinfo i have no doubt that you are correct ,i was merely giving another viewpoint, as to what could happen if a different charger from the recommended one was used

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
@Macinfo i have no doubt that you are correct ,i was merely giving another viewpoint, as to what could happen if a different charger from the recommended one was used
I understand, while anything is possible, I think it's unlikely. Using a larger charger does speed up charging to some degree.. But probably not hurting the battery.

If sort of like when you plug in a slower ethernet device into a faster hub, you do get more performance though not much perhaps..

Could something happen, sure, never say never... its sort of like what happens in some of these crash reports when it seems like a perfectly good battery all of a sudden decides to go south.

Reactions: old man mavic
Actually the more I read about this I am finding out it is more of a power supply than charger. Is that correct? I plugged it in the Mini 2 port and it charged both batteries in less than an hour.

... Don't forget that even if the batteries accept the higher (hyper) charge, it's likely you can really shorten the life by doing this as the temperature of the battery can get quite warm under the hyper charge.
Now, as far as your particular battery in question?? I don't know if it will even except a higher charge..

Correct, the USB-C PD brick is just a power supply, charging is controlled by the connected device.
the one thing that nobody has mentioned so far
Because that can't happen.
It's USB-C, there is active negotiation between both parties, if a set of things was not safe to operate together it would not power on, and as mentioned the charge control is not part of the supply, so it's there to do its job regardless of the supply used.

Regarding the original question yes you can charge all of the USB-C models with that 65W supply.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000