DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery consumption?

Barge

Reactions
Has anyone ever figured battery consumption to distance between positioning mode versus sport ? Sport is twice as fast but does it travel twice as far per battery or does it consume more battery making it the wrong choice when things get critical and you need to get home?

Reactions: RoW1
Has anyone ever figured battery consumption to distance between positioning mode versus sport ? Sport is twice as fast but does it travel twice as far per battery or does it consume more battery making it the wrong choice when things get critical and you need to get home?

Traveling twice as fast would take more than twice the power in almost every case. First, there is simply going to be more "wasted" energy to get to that speed but also you have more wind resistance at higher speed. So more power propriety is needed to maintain a higher speed.

However, there will certainly be a "sweet spot" where you get the most speed for the least power. I don't know what that speed is but I suspect it's around 15mph.

Edit: Looked at the chart mentioned above. After see it, one thing I did not consider is that the Mavic is highly aerodynamic. Don't know if I'd agree that you don't loose efficiency at higher speeds. It does not seem to make sense.