DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery cycles how many times can i charge my ma2 batterys

200, dji official Reccomendation, you can do more, but risk overheating/swelling, not to mention less flight time...
That is 200 full charge cycles. Partial charge cycles accumulate into full charge cycles. Charging a 50% discharged battery only counts as a half charge cycle, meaning 400 of those would total to 200 full charge cycles. However, the Auto-Discharging algorithm also counts. Every storage discharge to 60% after 5 days of non-use will require using up 40% of one of those 200 full charge cycles. Flying the then fully charged battery to 20% remaining and then fully recharging will use up 80% of a full charge. So, you are actually using up 1.2 charge cycles per flight, if more than 5 days transpires between flights, and you fly to 20% remaining.

"Auto-Discharging Function: the battery automatically discharges to 96% of the battery level when it is idle for one day, and automatically discharges to 60% of the battery level when it is idle for five days."

For me, basically I watch the flight times and see if that starts dropping significantly... but more importantly, does the battery show signs of puffing (typically after the flight when warm/hot). If it stats to puff at all, I then discontinue using it for flight and only use the battery for testing, updating etc.

For me, basically I watch the flight times and see if that starts dropping significantly... but more importantly, does the battery show signs of puffing (typically after the flight when warm/hot). If it stats to puff at all, I then discontinue using it for flight and only use the battery for testing, updating etc.
The loss of flight time is usually the first most compelling reason to replace a battery, but swelling, if it occurs, is far more serious. Flying a used battery that only delivers 75% of the original flight time won't hurt, but flying a battery known to swell from heat during flight can lead to a fatal disconnect in flight.

Smart batteries keeps track "full" charges. I have about 15 "info from app" on each too. But have actually charged them about 25-30 times. I only ran them down to storage levels. One at time. Haven't been able to get out yet and use them up....just local and testing to acquaint myself with the AC

Reactions: Steel63
Smart batteries keeps track "full" charges. I have about 15 "info from app" on each too. But have actually charged them about 25-30 times. I only ran them down to storage levels. One at time. Haven't been able to get out yet and use them up....just local and testing to acquaint myself with the AC
Are the reported charges full charges or each partial charge? I haven't paid that much attention, and assumed it was partial charges, but your interpretation makes more sense.

Are the reported charges full charges or each partial charge? I haven't paid that much attention, and assumed it was partial charges, but your interpretation makes more sense.
Partial, from 50-60 %....I don't know the batteries algorithm for a "counted" charge, but it has one. I always do a complete charge, when I plan to fly, to make sure cells are balanced. I have however run them down to 10%, to verify fly time, which is 25min+...... Then recharge to storage level. Then when I want fly/test for 15 minutes, charge fully. That always counts as one....The battery that was run down to 10%. So in a nutshell, 2 or 3 partial charges from 50-60% equal one counted charge...I have always store all my lipos, over the years, in this range, and I never let them sit more than a day, fully charged....Letting them sit with a full charge in storage is bad for all lipos, that is why dji Batts will self discharge to 60% in a few days, I personally don't wait on this. I will always use a fully charged batt within a day or discharge to storage level....fly for 15 mins..Most pilots ignore this for the sake of spontaneity. Give the cost of battery, I want them to last as long as possible.

Last edited:
Partial, from 50-60 %....I don't know the batteries algorithm for a "counted" charge, but it has one. I always do a complete charge, when I plan to fly, to make sure cells are balanced. I have however run them down to 10%, to verify fly time, which is 25min+...... Then recharge to storage level. Then when I want fly/test for 15 minutes, charge fully. That always counts as one....The battery that was run down to 10%. So in a nutshell, 2 or 3 partial charges from 50-60% equal one counted charge...I have always store all my lipos, over the years, in this range, and I never let them sit more than a day, fully charged....Letting them sit with a full charge in storage is bad for all lipos, that is why dji Batts will self discharge to 60% in a few days, I personally don't wait on this. I will always use a fully charged batt within a day or discharge to storage level....fly for 15 mins..Most pilots ignore this for the sake of spontaneity. Give the cost of battery, I want them to last as long as possible.
The reported counts do seem lower than the number of times the battery has been topped off to 100% from storage charge, before flight, plus a full charge after each flight to 10% remaining.

The reported counts do seem lower than the number of times the battery has been topped off to 100% from storage charge, before flight, plus a full charge after each flight to 10% remaining.
Yea learned my lesson with my first drone in 2016, Yuneec Breeze 4k, ewww, I know.. I still have it LOL, most people ended up destroying these, very wonky AC...Any ways used to kept the dumb batts fully charged, after about 3 months, puff daddy/very hot.....Had to replace when they started getting stuck in AC.....lol

Thanks for the info I had no clue you could get that many cycles i do check for swelling after charging wow that's awesome thanks everyone

where is Robert S.? he's charged his hundreds of times.

1700 messages and 11,000 replys?????

I should have said Thomas S. he has charged his batteries many times. I hope he checks in, He has a strict regime and it must work.

Yes I would like to hear from this guy too, I know from previous experience if you only discharged lipos down to 50% they will last a long time......

Last edited:
I generally get to fly once a week. Midweek I'll push the button to check on the status and reset the counter to discharge so I don't have to charge them up again the night before I fly.

Seems wasteful to charge them to full only to have them discharge themselves down to 60% and then charge them back up to 100%.

Too bad there isn't a charging option to just charge them up to 60%.

My understanding is that it's not good to store the batteries depleted and only charge them up fully the night before flying. Is that true?

Yes it is 60% is a proper storage charge, I will always do a complete charge a day before flight, the charger logic, once it gets batt in 90% range will charge at a lower rate and balance the cells(very important) , that's why it it takes longer at 4 lights to finish. The only way I pull batteries down to storage voltage is by flying or if I can't fly I use USB battery adapter and charge my phones or whatever. Down to 3rd light flashing. Storing full or depleted is bad, although the smart batt will discharge, after a few days will discharge to storage....I don't wait though, If don't use a full charge within a day, I discharge anyways. And there is an option to charge to storage just not automatic..You have to keep an eye on charge state and stop at 3rd light flashing....

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d