DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery discharge

Bill Kennedy

Reactions
Hi guys. After downloading the latest firmware update a message on screen said that battery discharge time was ser at two days.
1. What's the reason for this?
2. Is there any detriment if the time span is altered via the RC ?
3. Would each battery have to be adjusted individually, or would this happen automatically when they were powered up in the drone?
My knowledge/understanding of electrical issues just about lets me switch lights on!!

Thanks in advance.

These batteries do not like being stored fully charged so DJI allow you to set a time limit for how long they will remain fully charged ( the choices I have seen range from 1 to 10 days). After that they self discharge to a storage voltage. I can't remember the default delay but I normally set 3 days. It sounds like lowering that might be advisable, what drone do you have?
I suppose this could be connected with the swelling battery thing.

Hi, Bill--

After seeing the video link below, I worried about how to keep my batteries properly discharged and be "ready to go" when I needed them. I think the two day discharge is a great addition to the software controls.

Mavic Pro Battery - Proper Care & Feeding
Drone Valley

These batteries do not like being stored fully charged so DJI allow you to set a time limit for how long they will remain fully charged ( the choices I have seen range from 1 to 10 days). After that they self discharge to a storage voltage. I can't remember the default delay but I normally set 3 days. It sounds like lowering that might be advisable, what done do you have?
I suppose this could be connected with the swelling battery thing.
Thanks for that. I have an M2Z.

Thanks for that. I have an M2Z.

The last firmware update (.670) set the default discharge delay to 2-days regardless of what was set previously. This is battery specific so each battery needs to have its firmware updated.

If you have more than one battery and it/they weren’t in the aircraft when the aircraft’s firmware was updated, you’ll need to update each battery in turn by putting it in the aircraft and running the firmware check again.

I have mine set for 5-days as the weather in the UK is so variable it’s hard to tell when I’ll get a good flying day.

Cheers for that. I've three batteries so I'll spend a bit of time this afternoon doing as you suggest. With multiple batteries dwould you recommend marking them up and using them in rotation rather than at random?

I know what you mean about the wind. Luckily we went up to Filey on the north Yorkshire coast on Friday, and for once in many weeks got the perfect combination of sun and very gently wind.

Yes, Friday was a good day and we got to do a good walk around Southwell in Nottinghamshire. Wish we still had the great weather from Spring this year.

I would recommend labeling your batteries and cycling through them. These batteries do degrade over time whether used or not and don’t like being flat for any length of time.

Hi, Bill--

After seeing the video link below, I worried about how to keep my batteries properly discharged and be "ready to go" when I needed them. I think the two day discharge is a great addition to the software controls.

Mavic Pro Battery - Proper Care & Feeding
Drone Valley
Hi. Just watched the video - looks like I've been doing most things wrong as far as battery care goes, so I'm really grateful you sent it on. It's completely changed the way I'll be treating them in future. Thanks again for the info.

Yes, Friday was a good day and we got to do a good walk around Southwell in Nottinghamshire. Wish we still had the great weather from Spring this year.

I would recommend labeling your batteries and cycling through them. These batteries do degrade over time whether used or not and don’t like being flat for any length of time.
I've marked them up now and will start cycling them when (??) the rain stops. Thanks for the info. Stay well.

Re multiple batteries, I try to keep the charge count equal, I am not sure if that is thought to be a good or bad plan.

I have marked mine 1, 2, 3 and since the 'oldest has only six charges on the clock I'm not too worried about which to start with ?. I will be rotating their use from now on though.
It's strange how one seemingly simple query sometimes opens up a whole can of worms, and you soon realise how much there is to learn. The forum rocks.

I have marked mine 1, 2, 3 and since the 'oldest has only six charges on the clock I'm not too worried about which to start with [emoji846]. I will be rotating their use from now on though.
It's strange how one seemingly simple query sometimes opens up a whole can of worms, and you soon realise how much there is to learn. The forum rocks.

There’s a lot of very helpful people here with many backgrounds from aviation to electronics, photography, filming and editing and a lot of flight experience. If you ever get into flight trouble or unexpected behaviour then posting the logs from your controller and aircraft will usually get you an accurate diagnosis of what happened.

Happy flying!

Hi. Just watched the video - looks like I've been doing most things wrong as far as battery care goes, so I'm really grateful you sent it on. It's completely changed the way I'll be treating them in future. Thanks again for the info.

Meee, TOO! I had no idea!

...and happy to help!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fredguillot02