DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Discussion

tmiller

Reactions
Hello all, I've read numerous posts concerning extending the battery life by enabling the auto discharge to 3 days and never storing them at 100% charge. That all makes sense however, why is it that nobody ever mentions the proper storage for the RC Controlled? Should this be stored partially discharged as well or doesn't it matter? Thanks!

Hello all, I've read numerous posts concerning extending the battery life by enabling the auto discharge to 3 days and never storing them at 100% charge. That all makes sense however, why is it that nobody ever mentions the proper storage for the RC Controlled? Should this be stored partially discharged as well or doesn't it matter? Thanks!

The transmitter doesn’t have the same high current demands that the propulsion systems have.

all lipos no matter what c rating are happier if stored around 3.8 volts per cell but not for extended periods like 6 months better to charge them and discharge back to 50 to 60 percent once a month at least all lipos gradually loose charge over extended periods of none use

Last edited:
Reactions: tmiller
I don't understand how the current demands during operation has any bearing on storage. Could you explain further?

as @old man mavic stated it is better to follow normal/standard LiPo charging and storing procedures for all LiPo packs. With that being said, the nature of the Tx batteries are such that they aren't critical and we can get away with a lot more less care and still have a fully functioning unit. If the pack loses (just a random # here) 10% every 6 months in performance we probably aren't going to notice it because we generally don't use a large % of the Tx battery pack each flying session. Flight batteries we can see/feel the difference Tx packs not so much usually.

IMHO this is why we don't see Smart Batteries for any of our Tx.

as @old man mavic stated it is better to follow normal/standard LiPo charging and storing procedures for all LiPo packs. With that being said, the nature of the Tx batteries are such that they aren't critical and we can get away with a lot more less care and still have a fully functioning unit. If the pack loses (just a random # here) 10% every 6 months in performance we probably aren't going to notice it because we generally don't use a large % of the Tx battery pack each flying session. Flight batteries we can see/feel the difference Tx packs not so much usually.

IMHO this is why we don't see Smart Batteries for any of our Tx.

That makes sense, now I see what he was saying. Thank you all very much for the info!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Piason