DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"Battery Error" - "Over Current Discharge" Warnings in Flight!

JUCD VPR

Reactions
So I have had my Mavic Pro Fly More Combo for a week, I am an experienced Pilot of 8yrs flying MRs.

Upon really testing the Mavic over the weekend, on a Full throttle and full forward elevator stick, I get a "Battery Error" warning that pops up on my screen, followed by a "Over Current Discharge" warning. Batteries are all freshly charged, happens on every one, temp 51 degree F, so it is not cold outside and the batteries were inside my home.

I am trying to determine if it needs to go back to DJI, however I obviously don;t want to send it back if this is just some new FW glitch DJI can fix that way, or if it is my Mavic only and not a widespread issue, in that situation i'm fine with shipping it back to them.

It only happens on full throttle, full forward flight stick inputs. How many others have experienced this?

Reactions: granpoobah
So I have had my Mavic Pro Fly More Combo for a week, I am an experienced Pilot of 8yrs flying MRs.

Upon really testing the Mavic over the weekend, on a Full throttle and full forward elevator stick, I get a "Battery Error" warning that pops up on my screen, followed by a "Over Current Discharge" warning. Batteries are all freshly charged, happens on every one, temp 51 degree F, so it is not cold outside and the batteries were inside my home.

I am trying to determine if it needs to go back to DJI, however I obviously don;t want to send it back if this is just some new FW glitch DJI can fix that way, or if it is my Mavic only and not a widespread issue, in that situation i'm fine with shipping it back to them.

It only happens on full throttle, full forward flight stick inputs. How many others have experienced this?
Are you in sport mode when this happens? It's probably because it's trying to fly ~10mph up and ~40 forward...

could you upload a flight log from the drone? I'd like to see how much current is triggering the warning

How to retrieve a .DAT - upload the file to onedrive or dropbox (or something similar) and post the link here

I have received the same warning (only once) during both sticks forward fully in sport mode.

Pretty sure that's exactly how the sequence of my "Battery Error" appeared. Battery Error, then Overcurrent Discharge. Mine was overload in prop icing causing a loss of airlift descending into a crash. All is well though after replacing one prop.

Reactions: marky153
Pretty sure that's exactly how the sequence of my "Battery Error" appeared. Battery Error, then Overcurrent Discharge. Mine was overload in prop icing causing a loss of airlift descending into a crash. All is well though after replacing one prop.
Yep! I was just about to reference your thread! :p

Reactions: grizzard
This happened to me... similar situation. Sport mode, full speed, pedal to the metal. I eased up, the warning went away, and I haven't seen it since. I'm guessing that the mavic wanted more than the battery wanted to give, but just slightly. I doubt any harm was done.

Reactions: grizzard
The exact same thing just happened to me. Sport mode, full throttle, full ascent. Do we need to be worried about this? Can it hard the battery or the bird?

It might depend on how long it sustained this message. If it goes away after you let up it's probably just a warning and not a problem. Just guessing.

Reactions: dewster
I get that error every single time I've ever tried full up and forward in Sport mode. It simply draws more current than the battery can provide for an extended period of time. My solution is to never use both full up and forward at the same time while in Sport mode. If I let off a bit on either one I don't get the error, so that's what I do.

Good to know - thanks. Do you think it's something that should be addressed in a future FW update?

It is your talking about electricity. Not 100% controllable. If your putting in a lot of stick input and racing it in sport mode with the recording going on it's gonna increase the draw on that batt and let's not forget wind to try to keep it still.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: VortexSpin
Correct, with a headwind, a full throttle in sport mode will tend to overdraw the batt. Nothing can be done with software, it is a function of strain on the bird , current wise.

I get that error every single time I've ever tried full up and forward in Sport mode. It simply draws more current than the battery can provide for an extended period of time. My solution is to never use both full up and forward at the same time while in Sport mode. If I let off a bit on either one I don't get the error, so that's what I do.

Maybe 4s battery is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Glad that I found this thread. Same situation (sport mode, full throttle forward and also gaining altitude). I stopped pushing the drone right away, warning went away and nothing happened (well, my heart about to explode for a few minutes)

Reactions: Rygar
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki