DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery maintenance on air data

DrizzyDrones

Reactions
So I recently updated to pro subscription on air data and it says im well due for this. I was unaware that this was a thing.. do you guys do this?

Battery Deep Cycle Discharge

When you deep cycle the battery, it also re-initializes the battery's internal software. Always allow a LiPo battery to cool completely before any recharge to help protect your battery and extend its life.

Slower Deep Cycle Method:
  1. Fly until battery level reaches 25%-30%
  2. Allow battery to cool completely to room temperature
  3. Put battery back in and turn on aircraft (optionally starting motors with no propellers) and allow battery to discharge until it gets down to 8%, or until the battery can no longer be turned on. Launch the DJI GO app to check battery levels.
    Important: NEVER fully discharge the battery to 0% - it can cause permanent damage
    Tip: With engines stopped, the battery seems to drain about 1% every 5 minutes or so
  4. Allow the battery to cool completely again to room temperature
  5. Recharge battery normally
Rapid Deep Cycle Method:
  1. Fly the aircraft outdoors until there is less than 8% of power left, or until the battery can no longer be turned on.
  2. Allow the battery to cool completely again to room temperature
  3. Recharge battery normally

Is this with a mavic mini ? Because I see they write about the DJI Go App ?

I believe they are using the flight app to check for the 8% battery level so you could do this with DJI Fly as well.

However the MM uses a Li-ion battery while other DJI drones use Li-Po batteries.
According to the battery university " the li-ion battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles to prolong life. The exception may be a periodic calibration of the fuel gauge on a smart battery or intelligent device."

Reactions: FlyoverDRN
i have never done this with either of my drones ,do not see the need for it
would only try it if i ever had a battery cell imbalance issue

I perform all of the Drone & Battery checks outlined in AirData for both of my drones.

Reactions: shaneb50
Something I've never done either, as normal Lipo's don't appear to retain a memory. Maybe smart batteries are different?. I still wouldn't be okay with discharging them that low though, so won't be doing it. Thanks for bringing this up though as it's food for thought and needs some more research on my part.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi