DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery mini 1 to mini 2?

Nice! Thanks for the info! Thats good news!

You have me thinking now, maybe I should just part out my MM, just sell the drone & remote, together or separately and keep the batteries & hub....

Reactions: PaulDoneDrone
The battery of MM have 2400 mAh and M2 have 2250 mAh
So the MM battery capacity is higher
Maybe someone from here have the posibility to test the two batteries in M2 to see if it may get a better autonomy, longer range.
Remember that the MM1 batteries are also lower voltage, so actually have fractionally less electrical energy, and are heavier, so require more energy to keep up in the air. Both factors mean shorter flight time using MM1 batteries compared to Mini2 batteries.

MM1 battery is 2400mAh @ 7.2V = 17.28 Wh
Mini2 battery is 2250mAh @ 7.7V = 17.33 Wh

To my prior post related to the prop guards, DJI told me MM prop guards will NOT fit MM2??

I just saw this lol, go figure... Anyone else try them yet? I didn’t get the chance too.

Attachments

• 030D54D8-792A-461D-A634-5388289F39E2.jpeg
    030D54D8-792A-461D-A634-5388289F39E2.jpeg
    894.1 KB · Views: 31
They may mount, but do the props clear the cage? Picture suggests possibly not.

NM. I now see the end of the prop. I thought a part of the cage plastic was part of the prop.

I still haven't tried them yet :-/ Hopefully I'll get a chance tomorrow. I'm also still browsing/looking for a video to see if anyone has actually flow and tried them out for real.

I bought Mini 1prop guards with my order because the mini 2 ones were listed as sold out which I find strange given the drone went on sale let than 24 hours earlier.

Really hope they fit or I threw out my money.

Just looked on the website the radius and dimensions are the same but the weight is 0.4 grams heavier on the mini 2 model.

Apparently DJI had stated that the mini 1 version only good on that or the Japan version of the mini 2.
Hey it has something to do with the motors being different?

Well I guess I can get refund when it arrives but worried my shipping costs might be same as the cost of the prop guards...

Remember that the MM1 batteries are also lower voltage, so actually have fractionally less electrical energy, and are heavier, so require more energy to keep up in the air. Both factors mean shorter flight time using MM1 batteries compared to Mini2 batteries.

It is really impossible to tell the difference when flying. Weight is the only thing that may make the flight shorter by a minute or so,

It is really impossible to tell the difference when flying. Weight is the only thing that may make the flight shorter by a minute or so,
But also factor in that the motors are more powerful on the M2, the speeds are increased for the Cinesmooth, P/N, and Sports mode. So the 31 minutes at those speeds applied with the new batteries, may be a bit less with the old battery's power draw against faster motors.

@karlblessing You really think a .05wh advantage that might be awarded to the Mini 2 battery might make a difference? Good luck measuring it.

What might prove relevant is the not insignificant weight difference. The Mini 2 pack is 14% lighter.

But also factor in that the motors are more powerful on the M2, the speeds are increased for the Cinesmooth, P/N, and Sports mode. So the 31 minutes at those speeds applied with the new batteries, may be a bit less with the old battery's power draw against faster motors.

Where did you find some details about stronger motors, I looked over at DJI but I could not find anything?

I suspect higher speed is achieved by increasing the tilt angle from 30 to 40 degrees. They could increase to 50 degrees and MM2 could probably hit close to 70km/h, longer flight is due to lighter battery and slight aero change?

I was messaging with DJI this morning and they answered a few questions I threw at them, see pic's of my chat..

-They confirmed the original MM battery can be used in the MM2 AND the original MM battery can be charged while in the MM2 drone. I'm probably be selling my MM set up, I have 4 batteries so I'll keep the 4th as an extra and at least now know it's safe to charge it via the drone since I'll be selling the hub with my MM setup.

-The smart controller "looks" like it will be coming in a future updated like it did for the MA2

-This I found odd but haven't tried yet, DJI said the MM prop guards will NOT fit on the MM2? I've already read but not seen, ppl saying they will work so not sure what to think yet.

-Original MM propellers can NOT be used on the MM2, I assumed such but just wanted to confirm as I have a few extra pairs of MM props.

-I was also reading in the manual and found that the MM2 batteries WILL discharge to a safe level for longevity if you happen to change them up and not go flying etc.

Hopefully some of this info was helpful!
Thanks. This is the first report I've heard of the prop differences and the switch to Li-Po batteries from Li-ion. All DJI Li-Pos have the auto discharge feature, unless there's an exception that I'm unaware of. It looks like lots of people are trying MM1 batteries in MM2's with no issues so I'm almost wondering why bother with the switch to the less-stable, more expensive, easily damaged Li-Po's over Li-ion's. All I can figure is the new batteries are lighter and I'm not sure that that helps with wind stability.

Thanks. This is the first report I've heard of the prop differences and the switch to Li-Po batteries from Li-ion. All DJI Li-Pos have the auto discharge feature, unless there's an exception that I'm unaware of. It looks like lots of people are trying MM1 batteries in MM2's with no issues so I'm almost wondering why bother with the switch to the less-stable, more expensive, easily damaged Li-Po's over Li-ion's. All I can figure is the new batteries are lighter and I'm not sure that that helps with wind stability.
To accommodate the improved features and performance, the AC has to be a bit heavier. To compensate for the extra AC weight, they used lighter batteries so that the MM2 would be under 250g.
The new batteries also probably provide more current for the motors and electronics.

You don't need weight to be able to conquer winds, you need sufficient power and thrust. Just look at how well dragonflies handle winds. Heavier weights will help dampen shifting winds/gusts due to inertia, but you can also do that with better IMU and software.

I have to take back what I said before about no difference between MM1 and MM2 batteries. Today I flew a longer mission against the wind and MM2 batteries lasted longer than MM1. The first flight was with MM1 battery, before I got to the place I managed to take only one pano and had to come back, changed the battery for MM2 battery did the same flight back took 4 Panos and some photos videos and came back with the same % I'm too tired to check the logs, but the difference was quite visible. When you just fly around not far without any goal it is hard to notice, but once you have a longer job to accomplish i is visible. Having said that, I'm keeping my MM1 batteries and will use MM2 only for more involved jobs. Will do more scientific test next week.

It doesn't directly work that way. The ESC and corresponding circuitry will be controlling the voltage to the necessary level by boosting / DC conversion at the expense of current drain and efficiency. Both battery packs could easily be drained at very high currents at lower than nominal voltages to keep up with the motor demand, ie 7.4V can be converted to 8 or 9V to keep up with demand / ESC control.

Depending on how efficient the conversion is, one would consume more current than the other. In the overall scheme of things, weight does matter while the nominal energy stored difference looks negligible.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman