DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery overcurrent errors in sport mode

Latest firmware?? Mine is latest firmware and I got this warning also when I was gassing it on sports mode. Temp that day was 20Celcius and I think high altitude lower temps has some correlation.
The warning seems to be there to prevent voltage spikes that can cause the drone to drop from the skies.

I saw this with Latest firmware .0400 and a new battery with only 10 cycles. It was a cool day 58F, I had initiated full forward an altitude for about 5 to 10secs..

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

The video looks normal. Every time the voltage drops coincides with a power move. Every battery has "internal resistance" (sometimes called the IR of the battery). This is what causes the voltage to drop and that drop to increase as the demand for current increases (ohms law). The resistance naturally increases as the battery ages and that is why you get roughly 300 flights from a pack before it's "dead". DJI could fake this, but makes me pause before I'd believe that. In the rest of the RC community like FPV racing we have what's called the "C" rating of the battery which basically stands for the discharge rate of the battery. The higher the C the lower the IR and in theory the longer they could last in a low current application. My quess is not that they have a false curve in the smart battery but instead that they are using batteries with C ratings that are a tad lower then they should or could be the Mavic is really sucking the juice in high speed maneuvers and that's all current battery tech can give. Could be isolated to a certain batch of batteries too. I have not seen it on my packs and I fly some heavy sport every time I take it out. Cold (temperature) also effects the IR, driving IR up as it gets colder. This why batteries appear to last shorter in the freezing cold like iPhone batteries but as soon as you put it in your warm pocket they come back to life. It's also why you can buy a battery warmer for the Inspire for cold weather flying.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

In other threads there has been discussions about conditioning your batteries through a few full flights and zero hard flying which in theory balances / levels the chemicals in the batteries and preventing hot spots in the cells which can greatly shorten battery life; at least in theory. Anyone here brake in their batteries?

Reactions: larkin
In other threads there has been discussions about conditioning your batteries through a few full flights and zero hard flying which in theory balances / levels the chemicals in the batteries and preventing hot spots in the cells which can greatly shorten battery life; at least in theory. Anyone here brake in their batteries?

Just got this error flying in Sport mode with a brand new battery. Wondering if there's something to this "breaking in" idea.

Sent from my XT1650 using MavicPilots mobile app

Just looked at the log. Your battery is fine.
Yes, I would agree but that doesn't explain what this error was trying to tell me about the flight at that moment. Had I not backed off, I don't know what would have happened or what could happen.

Reactions: larkin
Yes, I would agree but that doesn't explain what this error was trying to tell me about the flight at that moment. Had I not backed off, I don't know what would have happened or what could happen.
Maybe it's a bit too sensitive. The battery does go the extra mile to ensuring users don't over stress the batteries to ensure longevity.

Maybe it's a bit too sensitive. The battery does go the extra mile to ensuring users don't over stress the batteries to ensure longevity.
Or maybe it's a defect.. the message or the circuitry that controls the amount of current to the rotors.. I work in a world of fixing defects so of course this has to come to mind for me.. :)

Or maybe it's a defect.. the message or the circuitry that controls the amount of current to the rotors.. I work in a world of fixing defects so of course this has to come to mind for me.. :)
Believe me, if the there was too much current to the rotors, your drone would be hard to control.

My RC truggy will do this when the battery is getting lower in voltage. The ESC protects the battery and the motor. Lots of things can shut it down. Of course with a ground vehicle no harm no foul. With that Truggy and with my Mavic now, I let them cool between battery changes. I think a good precaution. No sparky parts like hot. Not a bit. Oh and my RC boat too. It will chug back home after low battery shut down. As far as percent of battery capacity. It is just based on voltage and is at best a guess. Voltage will vary with current draw. As stated voltage will bounce back a bit if load decreases, etc. And each charging cycle can leave the battery with more or less amp hours. We won't even get into the Peukert curves which throw another monkey wrench into the equation.

All batteries will provide more watt hours when the current draw is lower. Higher current draw less battery "life" for that mission. I am sure there is an optimum for battery watt hour provision versus Mavic speed through the air. Maybe someone with more time than I have could figure that out. And even then that will vary with temperature and other factors.

Since my first day with the Mavic I only fly in sports mode. The only time I'm not in sports mode is when it's landing. I usually fly at least 4 batteries when I go flying and just recently started seeing these errors.

I'm not on the most recent firmware; I'm on the last one. I never saw this issue or error when it was winter and now that's it getting much hotter ,I just noticed them.

I only seen this error 3 or 4 times out of almost 900 flown miles on my Mavic in primarily sports mode.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure