DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery plus in EU\UK ??

OMM, the Plus batteries improve flight stability and increase the flight envelope of the M3P.
Furthermore, the Plus batteries put the M3P into the C1 class allowing you to fly near people but not intentionally over them and fall under the same licensing requirements and regulations as the standard sub 250 M3P.

Not actually the case - the mini is not C0/C1 etc marked and approved so none of that applies.

1662459610940.png

1662460036056.png

So over 250g its restricted to A3 or A1 Transitional ONLY if you have an A2Coc.

Ultimately i want the Plus battery for hyperlapse under A2 or A1T (most places i'll do Hyperlapse are fine for A2 operation).

Its worth reiterating to people that these drones are so close to the upper limit that adding ANYTHING - an extra battery, wide angle lens, wrap or one of those utterly ridiculous wetsuit things WILL push it over the limit and into A3/A2 operation.
You'll get away with an ND. Just.

Last edited:
Those rules apply after 2023 and even then the CAA is dragging their heels on the COC. As it stands now, according to the drone code you can fly a C1 class drone which is defined as being 250-500g in the open category which allows you to fly close to people but not intentionally over them.

Last edited:
Those rules apply after 2023 and even then the CAA is dragging their heels on the COC. As it stands now, you can fly a C1 class drone 250-500g in the A1 catergory which allows you to fly close to people but not intentionally over them.
Only if you have an A2CoC. Thats A1 transitional.

If you do no hold an A2CoC and its over 250g you're not in that category. Those are the current ruleset. CAP2012 makes that clear.

Also the Mini 3 is NOT a C1 class drone. Its not class marked. Thats important. The most important part in fact.

Only if you have an A2CoC. Thats A1 transitional.

If you do no hold an A2CoC and its over 250g you're not in that category. Those are the current ruleset. CAP2012 makes that clear.

Also the Mini 3 is NOT a C1 class drone. Its not class marked. Thats important.

You’re being pedantic over certification. C1 is defined as 250-500g. The link you posted above even outlines there are exceptions. All I have to prove is that I have acted reasonably. The M3P with plus battery is sub 500g and therefore C1 class. The current drone code states you can fly a sub 500g drone close to people but not over people and that’s good enough for me.
Read the last paragraph of the picture I posted carefully.

Attachments

• 48CBF337-EA12-473D-94CF-5A4E61B81AC4.jpeg
    48CBF337-EA12-473D-94CF-5A4E61B81AC4.jpeg
    579.6 KB · Views: 7
No C1 is not defined as that. C1 has a whole regulatory framework not just weight and is class marked as such (or would be if it existed yet). It requires specific low speed modes and limits, lighting and noise requirements, specific remote ID requirements and a whole host of other things. It then has to be independently validated and authorised than marked as such.

There are currently NO DJI drones on the market that are class marked. The Mavic 3 has started the process but is not yet finalised and on sale

You fundamentally misunderstand the entire classification system. The drone is not C1 marked, it is not a C1 drone therefore none of those provisions apply.

Its a legacy drone by both UK and EASA rules. You need a A2CoC to fly a >250 but <500g drone in A1 transitional. If you do not have that, you can't.

Every single drone anyone is operating currently is legacy as none have been through class mark certification.

This isnt pedantic - its the law. You cant just invent rules to suit what you want to do. Its not just to prove "you acted reasonably" at all. Thats meaningless. You're committing an offence by operating a UAS outside the legally defined parameters.

Can DJI Drones Be Retrospectively CE Class Marked? makes it very clear. You do not have a C1 drone. You have a legacy/transitional drone.

Reposting the same photo over and over again doesn't ignore the ACTUAL provisions set out in CAP2012 and others.

Again, you’re being pedantic and unreasonable. You’re obsessing over the laws and regulations that are unreasonable for the average operator to be expected to know. The average operator will have followed the minimal training requirements as set by the CAA.
The CAA training recommends that I follow the drone code.
The current CAA UK drone code states “If you’re flying a drone or model aircraft that’s between 250g and 500g or C1 class, you can fly closer to people than 50 meters, but you must not intentionally fly over them”.
Anything else is mere detail and opinion.

Attachments

• 28137A04-4940-4562-B307-AEA13898C39D.jpeg
    28137A04-4940-4562-B307-AEA13898C39D.jpeg
    579.6 KB · Views: 6
You're ignoring the law. The law isn't pedantic or unreasonable. You're willfully chosing to ignore the bits that don't suit you and repeatedly post the same image over and over again.

The CAA "drone code" is not the law, the CAP is.

Again you have a seemingly deliberate misunderstanding of the law and make no effort to actually check the regulations.

The average operator is expected to know and abide by the laws. Its a long established principle that ignorance is no excuse to the law. You also agreed to it during the registration process.

Ive posted you a link to the ACTUAL law and ACTUAL CAA documentation clearly showing what you can and cant do You wilfully ignore this because it doesn't suit you.

1662466162215.png

CAP2012 is above. The actual law, the actual restrictions, the actual document linked from the CAA drone website. Not your summary photo which even says there are exceptions.

Its a summary from CAP722 (the actual law): https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP722 Edition8(p).pdf

From that again its clear: 1662466407286.png
1662466830661.png
Again:
- The Mini 3 is NOT C1 or class marked. Therefore it fits into transitional/legacy
- By default its under 250g so is permitted to operate in A1 Open
- A plus battery takes it over 250g which restricts it to A3 or A1 transitional IF the operator has a valid A2CoC.

CAP722 and 2012 (the actual regulations linked from the same website your picture spam is from) make that clear in multiple places. Its also the exact reason DJI do not sell the plus battery or wide angle lens in Europe - it takes the drone above 250g which interferes with the legal obligations of the operator.

And yes these laws the operator is expected to know - you even tick a box saying you agree to abide by the CAP regulations when you go through the registration and online test section.

There really is no ambiguity here. The laws are clear and concise. Even DJI restrict sales of addons for that reason.

This is going nowhere. I’m not going to get into a aviation law armchair expert argument with you.
I’ll carry on flying according to the drone code as recommended by the CAA which categorically states that I can fly a 250-500g drone close to people but not over them. 😂🤣

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929